GreaseSpot Cafe

How do you break up a dog fight?

RottieGrrrl

I had an incident with Nico this morning at the dog park, not serious, everything was fine, but it got me wondering how one goes about breaking up a dog fight.

What happened with Nico is she wanted to play with another rottweiler (Angel) who was playing fetch in the water with her owner (a real nice guy)

Angel's owner said that's fine, Nico can try to play with Angel if she wants.

Well Nico tried to take the stick away from Angel and Angel ripped into her like she was going to give Nico a new butthole.

I almost had a damn heart attack. But Angel's dad said it's okay, Angel will back off.

Well she did..after a minute...(and Nico was trying to get away!) And he finally yelled at Angel after he saw I was near having a stroke from yelling..and the groundrules were established. Do not try to take Angels stick away.

Okay, that was fine. They were still able to play in the same spot without incident for another hour. Nico played with another dog and Angel played with her owner.

This was a bit different cause Nico wasn't fighting back, even though she outweighed the other female by 20 lbs easy. So Nico just backed off with her little stubble between her legs.

But I was wondering, what if an out and out dogfight occours, are there ways to break it up?

I heard that you should pull your dogs legs back, even though you may get bit I wouldn't mind getting bit by my own dog.

But in this case it was Angel who was the aggresor and I aint pulling someone elses dogs legs back.

I don't want to put this on a dog board cause they'll start lecturing me on the evils of dog parks and what a stupid owner I am for bringing her to one which I don't agree with. We have a great time at dog parks.

It just got me wondering for future knowledge, it could happen anywhere, even if I'm walking her on a leash and another dog bolts from there yard.

So I'd like to hear anyone who knows anything about breaking up a dog fight.What's best to do?

PS. Everybody who was watching felt sorry for little Nico and petted her after that.

babyrott60percent.gif

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender,your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." Unknown

Rottie

I responded and it did not post. I also heard to pull the dogs off by the back legs or tails.

If there is a hose near by the water can break it up.

I had two MALES fighting in our home. My older chow mix and younger one. It was awful complete with blood and injuries. The thing NOT to do is try to pull the heads away, which my hubby did and he got bit through the hand.

I found some good info off a Google search for Animal Behaviorists. I did not mark the site so I cannot send it to you.

Good luck! It is frightening to witness, isn't it?

Dot Matrix

I see your post now! OMG how awful for your two chows! I remember my dad breaking up dog fights with the water hose or a bucket of water. The thing is, that stuff has to be handy in a moments notice, which as you know it rarely is.

Thanks for the advice about not messing with the heads. I guess this guy at the dog park knew his dog (he didn't seem like an idiot) but if that had been my dog ripping into another I would have taken my leash and butted her over the head or kicked her or ANYTHING to get her off! I just wouldn't have stood there and watched.

But everything is okay, it just got me thinking.

And yes, it is horrible to watch!

babyrott60percent.gif

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender,your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." Unknown

Good question rottie!!!! All dog owners should know what to do in a case like that. I would have freaked also. Of course in a park you wouldn't have water to throw or a hose to spray them with but if it is available that is the best thing to do. I wonder if spray like pepper spray or maybe there is a spray for dogs so it doesn't hurt them but shocks them a little would work for the other dog?

Ok!! I will not try to be a nice person...ok? I will not!!

PS. I will try looking up that on google too. Thanks.

babyrott60percent.gif

vickles, I usually carry pepper spray or vinigar with me, but I wouldn't want to squirt pepper spray at another dog unless it was really dire. I may overreact and then I'd feel terrible. Especially if the owner is there. But then you know if you don't over react you may have a dead dog.

It's fine if the owner isn't around and you have no choice, but I guess if the owner is around I feel they should try something too!

babyrott60percent.gif

When I had my peke (that died last October) in California, we were walking her on a leash and this dog named "Jimmy" who was about 70 pounds came running up and attacked her.

I know some karate, I took as a teen, and I kicked the dog in the chest off of my dog. Jimmy's dad began to yell at me for kicking his dog. I told him to go F himself and he better put his dog on a leash or I'd kick him!

Dot Matrix

When I had my old dog Maxx (died Sept 00) I had SUCH a problem walking him. He was a big dog (shepherd husky mix) but I couldn't walk him without being bolted by some damn dog in the neighborhood. I got so damn fed up with that.

Now that I have a big rott, it's amazing how I don't have that problem. icon_wink.gif;)--> Nico is really a nice dog, but the reputation precedes these dogs. People see us coming and they call there dogs in now.

Well why the hell couldn't they do that when I had my other dog?

babyrott60percent.gif

Dot: btw Congrats for kicking the other dog! Those little dogs I would be SOO protective over! OMG I don't know how bad I would be walking a little dog and having some big brute attack her! I was so protective over Nico as a puppy I was obnoxious.

So GOOD FOR YOU. Too bad the dogs have to suffer when it's the owners who really need the kick in the butt.

babyrott60percent.gif

I just got two Doxie's and they are fearless for such small dogs. We took them to the vet for check-ups and on the way out a guy was there with this hugh boxer greatdane type dog and my Fritz and Tasha went after this dog as tho the dog was as small as they were and the big dog backed off. I couldn't beleive my eyes thatthose two little dogs could be so feroseous, but the vet said Doxie's are fiercely protective of their owners. Yet with us and other people they are the sweetest little dogs ever.

fwlib10.gif Dovey

In the event of a dog fight I usually yell at both dogs to stop at the top of my lungs and if I have one of them on a lead I aggressively pull the dog away from the other dog. Often in a dog fight one is getting the upper hand and the other one wants to back off anyway. This is your chance to separate the dogs.

Yea, I am a dog lover too and rarely meet dogs I don't like. However, dogs need to be trained by their owners that fighting is unacceptable.

This has nothing to do with your question, but while we are on the subject:

I also read somewhere, perhaps that behavior site I spoke of...

This woman had a little tiny dog and a HUGE dog came up and the little dog was visably frightened so the owner picked her up. The other OWNER (of the big dog) said her dog was sweet and would not hurt her. She said trust me!

So, the little dog was put down by the owner and the big dog picked it up by the neck and with a bite and two shakes broke its neck and killed it.

The moral of the story, your DOG KNOWS THINGS, if they are not comfortable with another dog DO NOT FORCE IT.

Dot Matrix

Dovey, do you mean Dachsunds? (spelling please) I got po'd cause when I brought Nico in to get her shots they had some new airhead young girls working there that freaked out I was bringing a rott there. I mean they had to be such newbies.

My vet (who I have been going to for 20 years) had to tell them she was a freindly girl. duh. Maybe if they pay attention they would have noticed that.

And yeah! Little dogs somtimes think they are BIG DOGS in a little body! LOL!

Mark: OMG you should hear me scream. I've read it really doesnt do any good. Although I've broke up a few fights by screaming BEFORE the dogs got into it! Oh yes!

My scream is worse than any dogs growl. I sound like Sam Kinison. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

The guy who owned Angel told me he didnt want to interfere cause he thought trying to pulling Angel off would have made it worse? I don't know. He was upset at Angel though cause my Nico was clearly trying to get away. She didn't want to fight.

The thing is you need cooperation from the other owner to break up a fight. You can't have one person sitting on their hands while your doing all the work. Especially when their dog is the aggressor.

Dot: That is so horrible I don't even want to contemplate that! When Nico was a pup I met a lady at PetSmart who had an oversized Rott (totally bred out of standards) who kept telling me her rott loves puppies. Hmm, to eat you mean?

Well the breeder told me to be careful about situations like that, so I didn't put her down.

I think I would have been commited if I saw my beloved dog killed before my eyes.

Thanks for the reminder.

babyrott60percent.gif

[This message was edited by RottieGrrrl on July 07, 2003 at 8:58.]

[This message was edited by RottieGrrrl on July 07, 2003 at 9:03.]

Well see if you were still a standing SOGWOP

then you would have gotten revelation to rebuke the spirit causing the fight which would have solved the problem nicely. Too bad that you aren't in anymore..

This is the reason I don't let the dog play

with strange dogs unless both owners let them

approach each other while LEASHED over several

days so they can test each other's boundaries.

IF there are growls then pull back hard and fast

and get them out of there. If they can hang with each other and frollick a bit then you might wanna take it to the next level.

Rottiegrrl, I've never been to a dog park, so I don't know what the debate is there--seems like a cool idea. But it does seem ya can't really trust what another dog's owner will tell ya about their dog.

Dot, that story is so sad! I always pick up my Moses when he's around big dogs cuz he thinks he's ferocious!! LOL!

diaz, Psalmie, You are TOO FUNNY! LOL!!! I had a wayfer lady tell me once all she would do is say " IN THE NAME OF JESUS!"

omg.

EXIE! Thanks! I'm reading the link now!!!!!

babyrott60percent.gif

Ahh! Exie it's an excellent article I'm just grossing out at the pic on the bottom of the page, but excellent!!!! thanks! still reading.

babyrott60percent.gif

Exie: Where did you find this article? Never mind. I'm printing it out and distributing it to dog parks across my area.

thanx. aLOT!

babyrott60percent.gif

exie, where the heck do you find this stuff? I'm up at 5:30am reading this web site and it's links! Facinating!

babyrott60percent.gif

You must of had some divine guidence. I was looking too and didn't find any article like this one. This article looks like it's for cops or something. Really good.

babyrott60percent.gif