GreaseSpot Cafe

"God has no hands but our hands"

WordWolf

i don't get why a god that supposedly created the heavens and the earth and us now can't do anything without us unless it's not the god that needs our hands but some "leader" that doesn't want to get their hands dirty.

Edited by brainfixed

i don't get why a god that supposedly created the heavens and the earth and us now can't do anything without us unless it's not the god that needs our hands but some "leader" that doesn't want to get their hands dirty.

AMEN!!

• 8 years later...
On 7/13/2009 at 1:12 PM, brainfixed said:

As a matter of fact, it appears that Teresa of Avila wrote this not about God but about Christ.  I found this online, from "A Catholic Prayer Book" found on catholicity.com -

((Gosh I wish this site wouldn't mess the quotes about, or am I doing something wrong?  Anyway the last bit following, with the link to Annie Flint's poem, shouldn't be part of the quote, but an extra paragraph.))

Prayer of Saint Teresa of Avila (1515-1582)

Let nothing disturb you. Let nothing frighten you. All things pass. God does not change. Patience achieves everything. Whoever has God lacks nothing. God alone suffices.

Christ has no body now on earth but yours; no hands but yours; no feet but yours. Yours are the eyes through which the compassion of Christ must look out on the world. Yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good. Yours are the hands with which He is to bless His people.

and also presented as a poem (about Christ) by Annie Johnston Flint here: https://sermons.faithlife.com/sermons/3920-christ-has-no-hands-but-our-hands-to-do-his-work-today

Edited by Twinky