GreaseSpot Cafe

New York

TOMMYZ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Born and raised in White Plains.

Got involved with twi in Jan 1980 in New Rochelle...111 Mountain Ave...famous house, huh

Left NY in Oct to be 2nd wave wow in Mass.....never to return.

Lived in a way concentration camp...I mean way home...in CT for 2 yrs after wow yr.

Went in 14th wc...KS, staff at HQ, Gunnison, back on staff

Saw the sunlight in Fl in '87 and stayed until '92

ooops...back to hq and was sentenced to 7 yrs hard labor

I'm back in the sunshine ...I did my time (21 yrs) now I am FREE!

The weather is fine in DisneyWorld

• 3 weeks later...

Proud to be from Lawnguylan - more specifically, Long Beach. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and the beach is as wonderful as it ever was.

Let's see. Was witnessed to in July of 1971, right before the ROA that year. Went WOW in 1974/75 and got kicked off the field because I wouldn't go door-to-door witnessing (among other sins). Had a friend talk me into staying in (thanks a LOT) and went in the Sickth Corps in 1975.

After the Corps, I was assigned to NJ from 78 to 80. Moved to W. Palm Beach, Florida in October of 1980. Met John in November at a Corps advance. Moved to Tampa in July 1981, got married in January 1982. Got booted from TWI in July of 2000 and have been living happily ever after since then.

I will ALWAYS have Long Beach sand in my shoes (it's an old LB saying). Even though I've lived down here longer than I lived in NY, to paraphrase a famous line - "ich bin ein New Yorker!"

Hope R. color>size>face>

Proud to be, and always will be first in my heart, a New Yorker.

Born in Bronxville, NY, grew up in Rye, then Larchmont, with Manhattan as my playground - yes, spent many days and weekends in the Village during the "hippie days." Went to Mamaroneck High, Class of '72. Got in TWI at 15 in 1970, took Piffle in '71. Family moved to Columbus, Ohio in '71 - bummer - I thought my world was ending. But connected with believers in Ohio. Did WOW, corps, on staff at H.Q & Emporia, blah, blah. Missed NYC very much. Fled H.Q. staff and moved back and spent 10 years in NYC. I still have family and friends there and still visit.

NY is the greatest!

• 3 months later...

Born in Pennsyltucky but lived on the Island when I was 3 and 4. Then back to Pa.

My dad moved to Long Island to work at MacArthur Airport (Islip) as an Air Traffic Controller when I was 17, so of course I came to visit him in his new apartment in (at the time) "desolate" Coram. I loved it.

Went out WOW in 1978 convinced I would be sent to Long Island. I was sent to Seattle.

When that was over, did a small stint in Manhattan and then moved permanently back to my Island and have no intentions of leaving.

I've lived a lot of places but nothing compares to here.

I will come up with a signature, I swear to GOD I will!

Born in Queens, NY raised in Franklin Square, right near the border of Elmont. I went to twig in Elmont..took the class at Marilyon Reformed Church (offa Nassau Blvd??) January 1976. Left Long Island to go WOW in 80-81 and returned, left in 85-86 WOW to San Diego, CA and now live in upstate NY.

Ginger -- you must mean Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Pound Ridge, near Bedford, NY. Big place, very pretty, and not far from me.

Once a New Yawkuh, always a NY-er. I spent my younger childhood in Tarrytown in Westchester County, and 2 of my kids are in college in Rochester, but NYC IS NY. After one summer of commuting down there for dance classes, I wound up there for 5 years for college (and College WOW) with Plotinus, ChuckR and the other 2 compatriots. Got married there, too, the first time. ! Loved NYC, still visit from time to time, but wouldn't raise kids there.

Washington Square Park is still the place to "hear of some new thing," not all of it legal!

Regards,

shaz

• 3 weeks later...

I was born and raised in Rye, and after my family moved to Peekskill I got involved with TWI. Remember the "Groovy Christians of Rye, NY?" Took PFAL in 1971 in Toni Cornwall's basement. Anybody remember that name? Chris Geer ran my first class.

Went WOW in 1978-79 to San Francisco, College Division at WC of E 1980-81, lived in Chicago 1982-83 and went WOW again 1983-84 to Providence, RI. I lived in RI for 14 years, but now I'm a Noo Yawkah again, albeit upstate (Syracuse).

I have some great memories of those days. Steve Heefner before he got canned...Pressed Down before they went "country"...Remember Brian Bliss in Daystar?...How about the Rock of Ages '72 film with Pastor Bishop from the Rye Presbyterian Church..."God bless you, and may your tribe increase!"...Johnny Townsend was Limb Leader for awhile too. He was one of the good ones. I Remember on the ROA '71 album, he said, "What if the whole Way ministry goes down the tubes and you're the only one left standing? Who's your strength? God!" At the time we thought he was speaking hypothetically...who'd'a thunk it?

Yes there are good memories, probably because I was young and naive then. But even the bad stuff, God can turn into a learning and growing experience if you let Him.

Mark Clarke

Mark, sure I remember Toni. I went to her ballroom dance school in junior high. In fact, I was kicked out because I was chewing gum! Your name has always sounded familiar. I used to go to Steve and Sandy's house on weekends or after school. What electrifying times those were.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Born and raised on LI went WOW and came back to Upstate Ny.

Took The class in 74 went Collage WOW 2 yrs. Married in 76, Free WOW that same year in New Mexico Came back to NY and still here. Have the doubious distinction of being one of the 1st M & A'd icon_eek.gif from "the Ministry" in the early 90's.

Divorced early 90's and just remarried about a year ago. icon_smile.gif:)-->

"I always do what my Rice Crispies tell me to."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone from new york remember a marc mcpherson? Would love to get in touch with him. I was a wow with him in louisiana in 1975. I saw him at a rock of ages one year and he was talking about going wc. Thanks for any info you have.

spread kindness to whoever. You never know who it will effect.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

i lived in a way home on long beach before going military wow,that was kinda fun cause we really didn't care about anything,anyone know of a pediatric cariologist named pete?

i meant pediatrict cardiologist,he would bring home baby pigs from long island jewish medical center ,they were so cute,and anyone know guy fisher?

• 1 year later...

Here's my history - Lived in Bellerose. Took the class in Queens with Jerry & Margie Mc Sh**ry. IIRC it was at the Flushing Way Home. Sat next to Tina A. Doris D., Tom L. and someone else lived there. First twig was at Hidla DuB's (Ralph's Mom) apartment in Glen Oaks.

Hooked up with Sam P. when he and Mike S. came back from upstate 'assignment' - and started doing sound for for his band. Went W.O.W in 80-81. Thought sure I would get sent somewhere warm. How about Fargo, ND? Interesting year - I survived and finished it out.

Returned to NY, and hooked up with the LI folk. Still did sound, so I was at almost all down-state meetings. Travelled with the bands up and down the East Coast. Met my wife, Martha, while working for Sam in his business. Married by Richie D. in 86.

She was from NC, so we moved here in 89. Pretty much out by then - things had sort of fallen apart for us in NY.

Martha passed away in 03. Now remarried to someone who has no idea what TWI is about. Live in Smithfield, NC. Starting to bleed blue.

• 2 months later...