GreaseSpot Cafe

Atkin's Diet

Hills Bro

I started it about 2 months ago after discovering I had high cholestrol in January. My doctor put me on Lipitor 10 mgrms back in January along with the usual recommended diet of low fat- low carbs . I still couldn't lose any weight and my cholestrol levels stalled at around 250 which was still too high. Dr.recommended I move up to 20 miligrams of Lipitor.

Well instead of going that route I chose to try the much maligned Atkins diet. After reading his book and sticking to his plan..I have gone from 205 lbs down to 180 and lowered my cholestrol to 150. No more controversy with me about Atkins..it works and from a practical point of view thats what really matters. Just don't try walking down icy stairs in Manhattan.

I use to take long naps and lacked a sustainable energy level. Now I have plenty left over and feel like a Stud in heat unlike that horse that won the Belmont yesterday who had lots of enery but no package left to deliver if you know what I mean? icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

hint: gelding icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I still eat butter..steak..eggs...love those omlettes..yum ..with cheese...margarine sucks!!! It comes down to...why eat what fat people eat when you can eat Atkins. icon_razz.gif:P--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Hey..just funnin..don't throw your diet coke at me..please icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

http://atkins.com/howto/index.html

[This message was edited by Hills Bro on June 08, 2003 at 11:44.]

Oh.. I also take a shot glass full of SeaSilver every morning. It's a liquid multi-vitamin formula. Cranberry base...yum.

Everyone of my friends who has tried this product has commented on how their sexual drive and energy has really popped up again. Cranberries huh? Thats why all those Cape Codders are so frisky ..eh? icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_wink.gif;)-->

[This message was edited by Hills Bro on June 08, 2003 at 11:42.]

Hey Hills, glad to hear this, as I started that diet this week myself, and have been missing my bread and fruits dreadfully this morning!

I hope I do as well as you, cept I don`t need a sex drive, thankyou very much, thats why I am saddled with alla this extra weight n younguns in the FIRST place if`n you know what I mean....

We talked about Atkins months ago and Sudo had lost weight and some others were successful.

I was not. The diet turned me off as I am not a big meat eater anyway.

I hear Suzanne Sommers has a variation of it which does have bread, fruits and vegtables. I am going to look at it.

Atkins got me so grossed out about meat I was considering giving it up all together.

I do know many people that had great weight loss while doing it and I am glad it is working on and for you.

Dot Matrix

I'm with you, Dot...all that meat and cheese....just wasn't my *thing*. Steve! loves it and it sure works for him! I do Weight Watchers, works VERY well for me! And bein a teacher, I can take those handy Smart Ones or Lean Cuisines to work. Some of em are MOST yummy!

I heard about the South Beach Diet. My friends' mom went on it and lost 7 pounds her first week. A neighbor of the mom had quite a belly and lost most of it within 3 weeks. From what I understand, it is a moderated low carb diet (maybe similar to Suzanne Somers' diet). But the big thing is the reports made in people losing their bellies. Now that's a diet.

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see.

The bottom line is that carbohydrates make you fat, not fat. Carbohydrates are sugar, so when your blood sugar levels go up from eating them, your pancreas releases lots on insulin which is a "fat storage" hormone. The more your pancreas releases insulin, the more fat your body stores.

Lots of insulin release damages your arteries. This causes the liver to secrete cholesterol to patch up the damaged arteries. Cholesterol is not the bad guy. Just as many people with "normal" cholesterol die from heart disease as people with "high" cholesterol. So cholesterol is not the problem,it's the high carbohydrate diet.

Btw-dietary cholesterol has no effect on serum cholestol levels.

"Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps"

Wayfer not, the book is called "Eat Right 4 your Type" by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo. I have been following his plan for almost a year now. I do not need to lose weight. I just wanted to feel better.

My sister is an "A" and she has followed the plan faithfully for over a year. She is in better health than she has been in for a long time.

My sister has a degree in medical technology and she understood all the medical jargon regarding blood, antigens, etc.

I recommend this book to anyone that I hear talking about health issues or who want to lose weight.

"The life of the flesh is in the blood" Remember that? It is true.

Let me know how you do.

I got the book at the library. Then I bought the book called "Cook Right 4 your Type" because it had more recipes, but still had the same basic info regarding why you should eat certain foods and avoid certain foods..

The decisions we make today form our future.