GreaseSpot Cafe

Favorite Seasonings

Belle

Okay, what's priceless in your pantry?

Tony Cachere's - Good on everything! And I do mean every thing! Scrambled eggs, grits, steak, chicken, pork, catfish, casseroles, mashed taters.... you name it.

seasoninglarge.jpg

Dale's - Awesome marinade that only takes 10 minutes to give great flavor.

dalerloklearstekasw1.jpg

Cayenne

Garlic Powder

Fresh Garlic

Basil (fresh & dried)

Oregano (fresh & dried)

Fresh Ginger

Lemon Juice

Bouillon

I also make up my own taco seasoning which is lower sodium and lower sugar (yes, they put tons of sugar in that stuff! :huh: )

What can you not live without in your pantry?

Garlic, hands down.

I also keep curry and indian spices on hand. I don't use them as often as I would like, because I am the only one who likes them. However, they are great for left over stews and casseroles (SP) - makes it taste like a completely new dish.

Edited by Abigail

Fresh everything tastes better, don't it?

Welcome, batcave! May I offer you something nice to munch on?

gallery_452_63_10195.jpg

I never used Spike, but I never lived in any of the communal settings that were so common in the early days. I, thankfully, was never on staff or at hq for any length of time (just one visit in my 10+ years).

I do use Mrs. Dash on some things. Is that about the same thing?

Tony Cachere's
that was what I thought of first when I saw the subject ... Tony Chachere's I still have some left from New Orleans ...

So how do you pronounce that? I say "sash er ray"

Other than that, just garlic and salt and pepper ... but I'm not very sophisticated :)

is wine a seasoning?

Rhino, My Cajun cousins have enlightened me on the proper pronunciation, but I can't remember what it is.

I call it "Tony Cracker's", but there's a story behind that, obviously. :redface2: I'll share the story if you really want to know, but the funniest thing is that usually people know what I'm talking about and never question my pronunciation when they hear it for the first time. :biglaugh: Leave it to real live Cajuns to be the only ones to call me on the carpet.

And, yes, wine is most certainly a seasoning, but seeing as how I usually drink more than I use for cooking, I don't count it as a seasoning. Sherry is the same way, but I do buy the good stuff to cook with. If I won't drink it while I'm cooking, why would I want to cook with it? :wink2:

Cool, gonna look for that 7 pepper stuff. Sounds good! I make a Cajun chicken that uses red, white and black pepper along with a spicy paprika, I'll be the 7 pepper stuff would be even better in it.

Well, actually it's wwjesuslaughat going under a different name. Seems I couldn't get in to add a reply a few weeks back, so I had to create a different name. But, hey, you know what I look like and I don't turn down a danish very often. :biglaugh:

Spike has sea salt and a little orange and lemon zest, so I think it's a little more flavorful than Mrs. Dash. Sometimes I add a little more cayenne for a spicier Spike. I like Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt and Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Pepper, too.

The best seasoning for everything:

Sri Racha Pepper Sauce, they serve it in Heaven, I'm certain...

Spike, OTOH, is politically correct nonsense. A favorite of the counter-culture, new-age cuisineophiles. In other words, it's bland, boring, and is only endorsed when somebody is trying to prove how enlightened they are. You want a good salt substitute? Try SALT, nothing else comes close...

Tell us how you really feel, George. :P

I use Kosher Salt now when I do use it, which is not very often. I learned about that in the open forum here some time ago. LOL! I actually thinks Sartori, or all people, started the thread about its virtues. :biglaugh:

I had to look up your sauce, and, as suspected it's not easy to find. But reading the description on it, you do realize you're in yet another cult, don't you? :wink2:

A superb sauce made from sun ripened chilies and garlic. Manufactured in the US to the authentic Vietnamese recipie by Huy Fong Foods.

Sometimes referred to as the Red Rooster sauce, the contents of this large plastic squeeze bottle has a cult following. Mix 50-50 with tomato ketchup for a great dipping sauce.

Made by Huy Fong Foods of California to an authentic Asian recipe.

53.jpg

Now, pray tell, where can us un-enlightened folks get this schtuff to try? Will I need to go to Little Vietnam down on Colonial Dr. and hit some of the ethnic grunchy stores to find it?

((((BATCAVE)))))

I've missed you!!! I hope you're doing just grand!! I have the PERFECT danish for you! Made special just like you are. :love3:

gallery_452_63_8255.jpg

What Abigail and Double D said...

Garlic. And it doesn't take that much. Also a little plain white sugar. If you want to test me out and you like turnip, mustard or collard greens, try this as they are in season now!

Wash de-stem and tear up the greens into little pieces, then place in a big 'ole kettle. And here's all you add to it.. 1 cup of water, 1/3 stick of butter (forget bacon drippings they make it taste greasy), 1 heaping tablespoon of sugar, 2 heaping teaspoons of salt and.. 1/4 teaspoon (doesn't take much) garlic powder.

Bring to low boil for about, oh, 1 hour will do.

sudo

Oh Great Aar ~ :love3:

Call me bland, counterculture, "new age" (yuck) cuisinoephile - - but THIS S.F. Bay Area chick has been using Spike for nearly 30 years. :biglaugh: I even travel with it, I love it so much. :dance: Not as a salt substitute, but as an all round spice that goes great on most foods. People who aren't used to it, notice it right away in dishes I make where that may be the only spice I use - - and LOVE IT.

But I'm with you on the Asian spices in certain dishes. I'm absolutely AMAZED how the fat Midwesterners can consume so much darn food to break obesity records on the blandest food known to man that they consume!!!! But don't get me started on THAT rant! :doh:

So, Batcave (nice name - WWJLA!) I'm with you girl. Spike - - the all-purpose spice I can't live without.

Now, I do have to add along with everyone else here - - GARLIC!!!!! (and extra virgin) olive oil. CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THAT EITHER.

J.

Don't forget ONION with that garlic... and for many dishes, chili powder (or just cumin).

I really like Mrs. Dash's Garlic and Herb variety.

But garlic and onion go in/with EVERYTHING -- no hints, no need for subtlety with these two. :)

I agree, Rocky, garlic and onion-- and peppers! LOL!!

I love cumin and cilantro! And Sazon! product0032.jpg

I like spike too- love it in eggs!

lemon & pepper--on hamburgers!! YUM!

Sudo, I'll try those greens!

Here's something different for green beans.

Bacon pieces, chopped onion, cinnamon, dash of chili powder, dash of cayenne

mmm mmm good!

What Abigail and Double D said...

Garlic. And it doesn't take that much. Also a little plain white sugar. If you want to test me out and you like turnip, mustard or collard greens, try this as they are in season now!

Wash de-stem and tear up the greens into little pieces, then place in a big 'ole kettle. And here's all you add to it.. 1 cup of water, 1/3 stick of butter (forget bacon drippings they make it taste greasy), 1 heaping tablespoon of sugar, 2 heaping teaspoons of salt and.. 1/4 teaspoon (doesn't take much) garlic powder.

Bring to low boil for about, oh, 1 hour will do.

<center>sudo</center>

Sudo - try a cube or two of boullion in your broth in place of the butter or with much less butter - I found veggie boullion was very good and less fattening.

Since I'm married to a Greek man, we buy a case of this each year;

703323.jpg

We give away about half of it and use the other half. It's a great all-purpose seasoning, much like Spike, which someone mentioned earlier. It's especially good as a grilling spice - and very good on lamb chops.

Spike! Buy it by the box and it goes in a shaker. Good stuff, as stated.

Kosher salt! Use it for brining chicken, and of course, on food, anything. A dash of it with some lemon on salmon is tasty.

Garlic. Gilroy is a few hours south of us, grows lots of great garlic. Use a fair amount of garlic around here. I always have at least two bottles of virgin olive oil going - straight, and one with a few cracked garlic cloves in it to add flavor. Good for quickie sautee's. Also like to mince several cloves, mix in butter or a substitute, to use on bread.

Pepperocini's - I don't like hot spicy foods, but use these mildly warm little guys like a condiment. Chopped and diced finely, added to the top of anything from salads, eggs, sandwiches, etc.

Edited by socks