Food in your region

ChasUFarley

Spicy version...

For those of you that like your food spicy, I found this recipe as well:

BRUCE'S SPICY CHICKEN FRIED STEAK

4 cube steaks

3 eggs

1/2 c. milk

2 tbsp. Louisiana style hot pepper sauce (not Tabasco)

Dixie fry

3 tbsp. oil

2 tbsp. butter

GRAVY:

2 tsp. flour

1/2 tsp. chicken soup base

1 1/4 c. half & half

1/2 tsp. pepper

Beat eggs, milk and hot pepper sauce together. Soak steaks 45 minutes. Turn to coat both sides. Dredge generously in Dixie Fry. Wrap in plastic or wax paper. Refrigerate 1-2 hours.

Heat oil and butter until it sizzles. Fry steaks until light brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Drain oil from pan. Add flour and chicken soup base to pan drippings. Add half & half and pepper. Stir until thickened. Serves 4.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo hoo! Thanks, dooj! I hadn't even thought about how I'd like to make both versions - I'm not a spicy food gal, but almost everyone else at the table will be. You're so schmart!!!

I like the idea of round steaks instead of cubed steaks - I think I'll try it that way.

Maybe I'll make the mild version at home this week in practice.

Again, thanks! I'll let you know how they turn out.

Now, for the OTHER region I hail from....as a New York Italian I feel it is my sworn duty to educate a lot of you on....

Tuscan Country Bread ( that's real Italian bread for you folks out there in the supermarkets...)

This bread works best if you have a baking stone. In Italy they bake this bread in a brick oven - the stone helps to simulate that oven. The recipe makes either one large loaf or two smaller loaves - I prefer smaller loaves. There are two risings - if you let the bread rise a third time it is very light and airy. This is a great bread with wine and cheese, to make bruschetta, to eat with minestrone.

The "Sponge" (First Rising)

2 packages active dry yeast

1/2 cup hot water (115 F degees)

1/2 plus 1Tbs unbleached all-purpose flour

The Dough (Second Rising)

5 cups unbleaches all-purpose flour

1 3/4 cups how water (see above)

Pinch of salt

Dissolve yeast in the water in a medium small bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon.

Add the flour to the yeast mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the flour is incorporated. Sprinkle the additional tablespoon of flour over the mixture, then cover the bowl with a cotton dishtowel and put it in a warm place away from drafts. Let stand until the sponge has doubled in size, about one hour. (Hint - I turn my oven on to 150F and when I feel the heat I turn it off and then place the mixture in there.)

Arrange the 5 cups of flour in a mound in a very large bowl, then make a well in the center.

place the sponge from the first rising in the well, along with the salt and 1/2 cup of hot water.

With a wooden spoon, carefully mix together all the ingredients in the well, then add the remaining water, and start mixing it with your hands, absorbing the flour from the inside rim of the well little by little .

Keep mixing until all but 1/2 cup of the flour is incorporated (about 15 min), then knead the dough

with the palms of your hands, until it is homogenous and smooth (about 20 min), incorporating the remaining flur, if necessary, to keep the dough fomr being sticky.

Give the dough the shape you prefer ( prefer two long loaves and I make slits with a knife) then place on either a floured dishtowel or a peel (that long wooden paddle in the photo if you have one.) I put cornmeal under the loaves to keep them from sticking. If you opt for the dishtowel, wrap the loaf tightly in the towel and set aside in a warm place to rise. If you happen to have a peel, just cover and put it in a warm place to rise. It should take about 55 min to double in size.

Preheat oven to 400F. When the dough in the second rising has doubled in size, quickly remove from the towel and place immediatley in the oven - if you don't have a baking stone - put the loaf right on the rack.

Bake for about 55 minutes for one large loaf, about 40 min for two smaller loaves. Do not open the oven for 30 min after you have placed the dough in the oven.

When the bread has finished, remove it from eht oven and place it on a cooling rack it must cool completely to cut well - so don't get impatient.

Bon appetito!

Edited by doojable

YOWZA, Dooj!

The princess and I fixed chicken fried steak tonite for supper and all I can say is I'm so glad I have plenty leftover! It was so good I can't wait to eat it again! You really gave a great recipe for someone who's never made that before. I shook my hands at the oil in the pan just after washing them after dredging the meat through the flour and egg and flour mix as you said and oh man, it popped and sizzled just like you said it would. My taters were just about ready to mash so it was all done at the same time, like clockwork. The princess distracted the little dogs from the kitchen while I fried the meat. The only change I would make is I would use the salt you said to. I haven't added salt to food in a few years and never thought it mattered, but this really needed it. No worries - I added some to our plates.

I used all black pepper - don't know about white pepper, but I'll buy some now that you've introduced me to its existence. I figure it's all good. I'm relatively new at making gravy - the only gravy I've made before this was for biscuits and sausage gravy ala rascal, so I had a tiny clue when I made the gravy for this. Oh man, I can't thank you enough - it's so good!

Then you go and give a recipe for Italian bread - are you reading my mind? I've had a breadmaker since Christmas THREE years ago and haven't used it once, altho I keep thinking I will any day. NOW I know I'll make your recipe this week to go with the spaghetti that I almost never make and the princess is crazy about.

I wish I lived next door to you.

Oh yeah, now I see why you said you'd be working out every night this week, but what a way to go! I'll be working out too - I sure want to eat that again!

Thanks a million!!! I'll be making this again and again!

Bow,

Try to make this bread by hand first. I would not bake it in a bread maker,

I tried to post some photos of the bread in process - but it didn't go over too well.

I'll try again tomorrow

It's okay Belle - it's actually Twinky. I've had the black cat now since 2000 on Waydale. I guess I can share.

Chas, you're very kind.

Twinky is in reality my cat and he is large, completely black apart from a "here, girls!" white patch exactly in his groin, and is most frequently to be located with his head in a food bowl. Found the piccy some time after I chose the name, but it seemed so funny.

FISH CHOWDER - as it should be - rich, creamy, salty, and very fattening!

(This recipe will serve about 4 adults)

1lb of Haddock or Cod (Haddock preferred)

1/2lb of Salt Pork

1 stick of butter

1 quart of light cream

1 quart of whole milk

4 medium potatos - peeled and diced

1 medium onion - diced fine

fresh black pepper

Slice the salt pork into 1/4" thick slices and fry until crisp but not burnt. Reserve about 2-3TBSP of the fat. Dice the fried salt pork and set aside.

In a large soup pot - melt the stick of butter. Add the salt pork fat you reserved earlier. Add the diced onion. Cook onion until it is translucent. Add the potatos. Add the fish. The fish does not have to be cut - it will flake as it cooks. Add the cream and the milk. Bring up the heat but don't let it boil (if it does, you'll get a skin on the top that you have to peel off when it cools - not pretty). Stir often so that it doesn't catch on the bottom. Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour. Add fresh pepper to taste.

Serve with oyster or choweder crackers and the diced salt pork (sprinkle about 5-10 piece of the diced salt pork on the top of the chowder when you serve it.)

Thanks for the chowdah tips - I'll try that.

The old recipe I have for this has the heavy and lite cream - but set it down a notch because it was too rich for my taste.

I made that chowdah last night - hubby ate about 3 bowls of it. Kristopher got hooked on the salt pork - loved it! Reminded me of myself as a kid - I loved salt pork.

That brings me to another favorite...

POOR MAN'S SUPPER

(Fried Salt Pork and Gravy over Boiled Taters)

2 lbs of salt pork, sliced

5-8 medium potatoes, peeled

flour

2+ cups of milk

salt & pepper

Boil the potatos until cooked.

Fry the salt pork until crisp but not burnt and save the fat.

Add flour to the fat until it's pretty much soaked up by the flour - stir often - keep it moving.

Add milk and bring to a boil almost - add salt and pepper to taste

Serve with the potatoes on the bottom, then pork, and then gravy. It's not pretty but it's tasty.

(This is a recipe from the Great Depression era - my dad, who was born in 1915, used to make this for me. I thought it was the best when I was a kid - HA!)

Is R*Tel Dip regional?

Man-oh-Man I love that stuff!!!

I get a hankering for it and when I do, there's nothing I can do but make it. Otherwise it's all I think about till I get some. :P I make a batch and eat it just about every day on every thing for a week and then I'm good to go again.

This has been that week. :biglaugh:

Scrambled Eggs & Rotel Dip

Meatball Sub & Rotel Dip

Taco Salad & Rotel Dip

Rotisserie Chicken & Rotel Dip

Triscuits & Rotel Dip

Sausage Bake & Rotel Dip

And I've still got just a wee bit left for tonight.... I'm thinking Chicken Spaghetti & Rotel Dip.

rotel.gif

I've only been in Michigan for about 6 years now. Abi and I were going up to the UP. Alongside the road, I saw a sign. Apparently, I honestly thought, people could make a living selling exotic dancer nipple covers.

I was then informed by my lovely bride, the word is pronounced P(short a) steez. Being from the East Coast, the word was always pronounced pay steez. It would seem what they were selling was a beef, potato stew like filling wrapped in a pie crust type dough (peepuhl round here tawk funny, ya know?) :biglaugh:

Is R*Tel Dip regional?

Man-oh-Man I love that stuff!!!

I get a hankering for it and when I do, there's nothing I can do but make it. Otherwise it's all I think about till I get some. :P I make a batch and eat it just about every day on every thing for a week and then I'm good to go again.

This has been that week. :biglaugh:

Scrambled Eggs & Rotel Dip

Meatball Sub & Rotel Dip

Taco Salad & Rotel Dip

Rotisserie Chicken & Rotel Dip

Triscuits & Rotel Dip

Sausage Bake & Rotel Dip

And I've still got just a wee bit left for tonight.... I'm thinking Chicken Spaghetti & Rotel Dip.

rotel.gif

I'm pretty sure they sell that stuff around here, but I've never tried it... so, do you REALLY like it? (just kidding :biglaugh: )

• 2 weeks later...

Think of Swordfish, 7+Feet in size, dozens of them caught sitting in front of you on the beach being loaded on carts pulled by skin and bone horses. You can buy one have it cleaned for about $40 bucks in Senegal. You then proceed to give most of it away to the village people!

I have a 6'2'' Senegalese chef (everyone obviously speaks French here) and tonights menue is filet of sole, home made pasta and everynight it's some type of fish whose names in English I don't even know. It's all fresh from the ocean 100 yards away, grilled, smoked, cured, fried...ah! Calamari with shrimps Basmati rice and a cream sauce.

I have trained him for 3 years and he has a library larger then all the books in the village, which is nothing to brag about! Bread is made by a Moroccan lady down the road. Nobody has even hear of Tiger Woods or McDonalds!! Bon Apetit!

So Bumpy........that is all great about your chef and all..........but we really want to know is...........

DO YOU HAVE ROTEL IN SENEGAL???????????? :confused:

btw........Welcome.

Radar

What is a "Rotel"?? I'm laughing because tonights dinner exceeeded because the sauce and our guard arrived back from the Casamance after the funeral of his mother. (unless you read the Portuguese press, there has been a civil war here for over 25 years) You need a guard here. Anyway, as the east is as far from the west, when I go back to the usa, it's not easy processed food etc., you get used to the things around you and American shopping "plazas" haven't yet arrived! Forget the chef, I still cook better!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I live in the great American Southwest (Arizona).

Mexican food is one of the big regional things here.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a KitchenAide food chopper. I had seen the guy on the food channel who does the Easy Entertaining show using one. It's not motorized. It only holds about a cup of stuff to chop or have been chopped at a time. Basically, it's spring loaded, rotates as you punch it down repeatedly, and chops veggies, herbs and nuts (probably other stuff too, but I've only done veggies and herbs so far.

I wanted to be able to easily chop onions and garlic, both of which I love very much.

Well, I started making a homemade salsa that has been really good... well, I like it anyway.

I first clean and get the stuff ready to chop (peel onions, etc.)

For this salsa, I use

Onion

Tomato

Garlic (raw or roasted)

Cilantro

and can use a variety of fresh peppers. So far, I've tried fresh, raw jalapeno (without the seeds) and roasted pablano (also without the seeds). When I'm cooking in the oven or on my outdoor grill, I like to roast bell and pablanos peppers.

After chopping each of the ingredients listed already, I mix them together (experimenting with proportions) and add lime and/or lemon juice (freshly squeezed), grind a little bit of sea salt into it, add some chili powder and a few grinds of fresh cracked pepper (this from a grinder container made by McCormick spices containing several varieties, like black and white peppercorns, coriander and a couple of other things I forget which now).

After I mix it all (and of course, sample the taste), I put it in a sealed container and let it sit in the fridge for a while (to let the flavors mingle and mix).

It's REALLY good... I might have to make a habit of it.

Of course, it's a fat free concoction, and low sodium (I hope). A very tasty way to get your daily servings of vegetables.

:dance:

Rocky Tell me you have green chile in AZ...we live by it n New Mexico

Not only that, but I can you we have green chili AND have it be the truth! :)

I've not made my own green chili sauce, but any grocery store here has fresh chilis (several different varieties).

I buy produce at a store that markets largely to Hispanics... so there's an excellent selection.

Back in 86-87, I shared a (rented) house with one other guy. When we moved in, there were a whole bunch of Anaheim Chili plants and they were already producing plenty of peppers. At that time, we experimented with making salsa... but I think I can do even better now... but I don't really have any place I can plant any veggies and have them get enough sun. So, I work with what I get at the store.