GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

"Because of the obvious threat to untold numbers of citizens due to the crisis that is even now developing, this radio station will remain on the air day and night. This station and hundreds of other radio and TV stations throughout this part of the country are pooling their resources through an emergency network hook-up to keep you informed of all developments. At this hour, we repeat, these are the facts as we know them. There is an epidemic of mass murder being committed by a virtual army of unidentified assassins. The murders are taking place in villages and cities, in rural homes and suburbs with no apparent pattern nor reason for the slayings. It seems to be a sudden general explosion of mass homicide. We have some descriptions of the assassins. Eyewitnesses say they are ordinary-looking people. Some say they appear to be in a kind of trance. Others describe them as being misshapen monsters. At this point, there's no really authentic way for us to say who or what to look for and guard yourself against. Reaction of law enforcement officials is one of complete bewilderment at this hour. Police and sheriff's deputies and emergency ambulances are literally deluged with calls for help. The scene can be best described as mayhem."

• 2 weeks later...

"Bananas" was one of Woody Allen's most famous early films.  (It's about a "banana republic.")

WordWolf's response, "Pineapples," indicated that he knew the real answer but was teasing.  There was a thread on this forum for many years, called "The Nostalgia Thread."  It tested knowledge of old TV shows and movies, but rather than just jump in with the correct answer, it was customary to chime in with teaser answers, so that many responders could show that they knew the answer.  Eventually, someone would give the real answer and start the next clue.  The problem is that now there are far fewer respondents, so if WW (or any of us) gives a teaser response, it could just wind up stalling the game, if no one else knows the real answer.  Since you didn't know the "Bananas" answer, and Raf's not playing (at least, for now), this thread was dead in the water when WW answered "Pineapples."

The same thing is happening in the "What Character..." thread.  WW's "triply qualified" comment implies (to me) that he knows the answer.  I'll let you in on his hint:  the character's name had to be said three times in a row for him to appear.  If you know who that is, go back and rescue that thread.  :jump:

George

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were reciting some sort of important plot point."

"I hope so. Otherwise I would've bored half the audience half to death."

"You mean half the audience is still alive?"

"I'm being held captive by these weirdos!"

"Now you know how we've felt for the last forty years."

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were reciting some sort of important plot point."

"You give people the greatest gift that can ever be given!"

"Children?"

"No, the OTHER gift."

"Ice cream?"

"No, no, after that..."

"Laughter?"

"YES! The THIRD greatest gift ever!"

• 1 month later...

"Children?"

"No, the OTHER gift."

"Ice cream?"

"No, no, after that..."

"Laughter?"

"Are you one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

"Yes I am!"

"We found a celebrity! Jack Black has graciously agreed to host the show for us."

"That's great! Where is he?"

"In the trunk."

"Children?"

"No, the OTHER gift."

"Ice cream?"

"No, no, after that..."

"Laughter?"

"Yes I am!"

"We found a celebrity! Jack Black has graciously agreed to host the show for us."

"In the trunk."

"Remember when the stage caved in while you were rocking out?

Who’d have thought your smorgasbord would be hard to live without?

If we could do it all again, just another chance to entertain

Would anybody watch or even care?

Or did something break we cant repair?

Your cannonball trajectory, it always gave me hope.

They may have been unbearable- but I still loved your jokes.

Is there more I could have said?

Now they’re only pictures in my head."

3 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Just not getting it.  Sorry.

George

You can do it, George. Work through the quotes. You have a lot there. This is a movie.  There's a lot of clues in some of the quotes.  There's 5 clues in the last quote alone- which, BTW, is a song in the movie (and thus the soundtrack.)   I know you can figure this out on your own.

"Children?"

"No, the OTHER gift."

"Ice cream?"

"No, no, after that..."

"Laughter?"

"

"Yes I am!"

"In the trunk."

"Remember when the stage caved in while you were rocking out?

Who’d have thought your smorgasbord would be hard to live without?

If we could do it all again, just another chance to entertain

Would anybody watch or even care?

Or did something break we cant repair?

Your cannonball trajectory, it always gave me hope.

They may have been un'bear'able- but I still loved your jokes.

Is there more I could have said?

Now they’re only pictures in my head."

"Wow, that was an expensive looking explosion! I can't believe we had that in the budget. "

"...and then, when he thought they were alone, he said, "There's oil under this theater, see! I'm gonna tear it to the ground, see! Sweet, sweet oil, see!"

"People still talk like that?"

"Maybe that's just how he sounded in my head."

"Listen everybody, we've got nothing to be ashamed of. And you know why? Well because, thanks to Walter here we tried. And if we failed, we failed together and to me that's not failing at all. And I don't care what anybody says, I don't care if no one believes in us because... I believe. I believe in you. And you. And you. You know what's important isn't this building or name, it's each other. So I say fine, let's just start from the bottom and work our way back up to the top. Let's all walk out through these doors with our heads held up high, as a family because that's what we are. "

"You're my hero. You're on my watch."

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

It sounds like a movie with cartoon characters and live actors.  I know it's not "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," so...

"Space Jam"?

George

This movie neither relied on neither cartoon characters, nor animation nor CGI for their characters.   So that leaves....