GreaseSpot Cafe
  • Announcements

• GT

With the upgrade there is no longer separate login ids and display names.  Your login ID is now your display name.
Raf

Name that Flick

"Because of the obvious threat to untold numbers of citizens due to the crisis that is even now developing, this radio station will remain on the air day and night. This station and hundreds of other radio and TV stations throughout this part of the country are pooling their resources through an emergency network hook-up to keep you informed of all developments. At this hour, we repeat, these are the facts as we know them. There is an epidemic of mass murder being committed by a virtual army of unidentified assassins. The murders are taking place in villages and cities, in rural homes and suburbs with no apparent pattern nor reason for the slayings. It seems to be a sudden general explosion of mass homicide. We have some descriptions of the assassins. Eyewitnesses say they are ordinary-looking people. Some say they appear to be in a kind of trance. Others describe them as being misshapen monsters. At this point, there's no really authentic way for us to say who or what to look for and guard yourself against. Reaction of law enforcement officials is one of complete bewilderment at this hour. Police and sheriff's deputies and emergency ambulances are literally deluged with calls for help. The scene can be best described as mayhem."

"We fell in love. I fell in love - she just stood there."

"I object, your honor! This trial is a travesty. It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham. "

George

20 hours ago, WordWolf said:

It's obviously "PINEAPPLES".  Ok, now I need to come up with one....

It's obviously NOT "Pineapples," but I'm sure you know the actual title.  What the heck -- "Bananas"

You're up.

George

"Bananas" was one of Woody Allen's most famous early films.  (It's about a "banana republic.")

WordWolf's response, "Pineapples," indicated that he knew the real answer but was teasing.  There was a thread on this forum for many years, called "The Nostalgia Thread."  It tested knowledge of old TV shows and movies, but rather than just jump in with the correct answer, it was customary to chime in with teaser answers, so that many responders could show that they knew the answer.  Eventually, someone would give the real answer and start the next clue.  The problem is that now there are far fewer respondents, so if WW (or any of us) gives a teaser response, it could just wind up stalling the game, if no one else knows the real answer.  Since you didn't know the "Bananas" answer, and Raf's not playing (at least, for now), this thread was dead in the water when WW answered "Pineapples."

The same thing is happening in the "What Character..." thread.  WW's "triply qualified" comment implies (to me) that he knows the answer.  I'll let you in on his hint:  the character's name had to be said three times in a row for him to appear.  If you know who that is, go back and rescue that thread.  :jump:

George

It's arguably (I would argue it) his funniest movie.   (But, yes, a different tropical fruit exported as a cash crop from Latin America.) 

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were reciting some sort of important plot point."

"I hope so. Otherwise I would've bored half the audience half to death."

"You mean half the audience is still alive?"

"I'm being held captive by these weirdos!"

"Now you know how we've felt for the last forty years."

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were reciting some sort of important plot point."

"I hope so. Otherwise I would've bored half the audience half to death."

"You mean half the audience is still alive?"

"I'm being held captive by these weirdos!"

"Now you know how we've felt for the last forty years."

"You give people the greatest gift that can ever be given!"

"Children?"

"No, the OTHER gift."

"Ice cream?"

"No, no, after that..."

"Laughter?"

"YES! The THIRD greatest gift ever!"