GreaseSpot Cafe

Kitchen secrets

Kit Sober

Mom's food always tasted so good, and none of us kids have food problems.

When I was making some soup for Fred the other day putting in stuff and thinking "Oh Fred would like this in here...."

And Holy Spirit said, that's how your mom did all her cooking, always thinking of what would make her family happy. That's how come it always tasted nice. No matter what it was.

I was going to put this in the Yorkshire Pudding thread because mom's yorkshire pudding was really nice, but it was her kindness that added the special flavor to everything that came out of her kitchen, from a nice cup of tea (or coffee)

(Christmas is also for a little weeping, missing those people we can't see their smile, buy a present for, etc.)

p.s. I remember vpw saying, "the way to a man's heart is not through his stomach but through his pxxxx." I think this is another thing old vicious was wrong about. Kindness and love goes into a man or a woman wherever it's found, however it's given.

This probably isn't news to anyone, but a little ground cinnamon (1/4 tsp) in the coffee grounds before brewing the coffee, can make cheap coffee taste like something extra special....

ANYTHING!!!! --- put in coffee, is a POLLUTANT!

(Be that sugar, cream, sweetener, whisky, milk, cinnamon, etc.)

Now -- ask me about pizza! :biglaugh:

Seriously -- caffenine *straight up* is the ONLY way to go.

:nono5:

Rubbing your hands on stainless steel after handling fish will also remove that smell. I always wash my hands and then rub the faucet. If you don't like that idea, there are stainless steel "bars" that you can buy from kitchen stores. They look like bars of soap.

Yall are a hoot. I never though about cinnamon in coffee, I may try that.

Black coffee drinkers are some tough studs man. To me its like a Jolt Cola or Morning Thunder tea, it just makes me way too awake....... I gotta have the moo juice.

I do drink iced tea straight up though. Ever had it in the south, your teeth will rot out, it is so sweet, yukkoooo...

If you haven't tried the spice tarragon, try it. sparingly at first, but it is good in gravy, on chicken, in stews, it is a really unique spice that when you put it in, and someone tastes it, they go, hmmm, that's good, whats in it....and don't tell.

I really enjoy cooking, hate a dirty kitchen, I clean as I go, and I play with my food. Sometimes just because I feel silly, I stuck my arm up a chicken and made it dance, I saw it on Saturday Night Live and it cracked me up....... I mean I do like the first poster does, try, dash of this, look in the pantry, get an idea, and I have fun, people enjoy my food and that makes me happy.

I have never liked having to stop and get salt out of the store bought container that it comes in.

There you are, in the middle of something and you need a tsp of salt. (Or in the case of spaghetti water - TABLESPOONS OF SALT.) You have to stop, get out the container of Morton's and dig your nail under that silly little metal thingy before you can get what you need. RIDICULOUS!

Soooooooo.....I went out and bought one of those "diner'style" sugar containers. You know, the kind that you just pour sugar from. I actually have three of them now - one for salt, kosher salt, and black pepper. It's a perfect solution! Whenever I need one of the three, I just reach out and there they are - ready to pour.

The only thing that I need to watch out for is the occassional person that mistakes the salt for sugar and starts pouring it in the coffee. I should solve that by labeling the lid in permanent marker - but I like the laughs I get. :biglaugh:

Seriously, I usually just keep these three in a cabinet just above my stove and get them out when I need them - they're still in easy reach.

doojable

Rubbing your hands on stainless steel after handling fish will also remove that smell. I always wash my hands and then rub the faucet. If you don't like that idea, there are stainless steel "bars" that you can buy from kitchen stores. They look like bars of soap.

Nice tip! Can't wait to try it - say, what about onion odor then? Much bigger problem for me sometimes. Garlic too. Lemon doesn't seem to take care of either. :)

doojable

Nice tip! Can't wait to try it - say, what about onion odor then? Much bigger problem for me sometimes. Garlic too. Lemon doesn't seem to take care of either. :)

Try it! I forget if it works for those things as well. I had a dear friend that told me about the faucet trick. All I know is that I don't always have lemons on hand - but I do always have a faucet - and then I don't have to worry about getting lemon juice in any tiny little cuts. OUCH!

Edited by doojable

Chas, I tried the cinnamon in the coffee grounds this morning. I had forgotten to grind my good coffee last nite for today and was running late. It was GOOD!!!!!!!!! Maxwell House never tasted so good. heehee

I like the stainless steel idea too. I will try that.

When I sanitize my sink, I always use a paper towel and clean the black rubber thingie that goes to the disposal. It is really gross under there!!! Hubby and I don't even use the disposal that much but it needs cleaning every time I do it.

Also, if you make rice krispies treats as I do, when you empty the marshmellows into the bowl, turn the empty bag inside out and use that to press the treats evenly and throw the bag away. I read that tip a long time ago and don't remember where.

I am not one for buying frozen pies, BUT, when the occasion calls for something fast, do it. What I do is cut the pies, cakes or breads (banana) with a huge knife that you can get some leverage with. (using both hands). Start slicing as wide or a thin as you want and put on plates to thaw. Then you can use as little or as much as you need and put the rest back in the freezer til you need it again. Great for cheese cake too. Enjoy, life is to short not to! :)

Act2, add a dash of vanilla and a pinch of salt to that cinnamon and you'll think you died and went to heaven. Those 3 are staples in the coffee cube here at work. :love3:

Yeah, Belle, I added the vanilla and salt this morning. Very good and much better than just the cinnamon. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, I still havent ground my Harry and David coffee yet. May not need to for a while!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Chas. I finally ground my Harry and David coffee so I haven't tried the allspice, but I will.

An added bonus to using the vanilla, my trash can smells good!!!!!

Carry on!!!!!!!!!

Chas and Belle,

I tried your advice and doctored my coffee with cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.

It was great!

Who said to try allspice? That's next :biglaugh: