GreaseSpot Cafe

sausage and gravy

coolchef

Oh Boy!! I can. I am a yankee in the south, but mom and dad hailed from the south.

Here goes:

1 tube of Sage sausage

chop up into tiny pieces and brown DEEPLY, almost burnt.

after you reach that stage, drizzle in flour (lightly) into pan, I would say about 1/4 cp

Pull away from heat, add milk to start the thickening, stir constanly adding milk till thick and gravy like.

I buy the big country biscuits..mom, made homeade.Canned is good enough for me:)

hhhhmmmm good!!

Here's my recipe - try it out:

1 lb of loose breakfast sausage

Bell's Seasoning

Salt

Pepper

Cayanne (sp?) Pepper (you know, red hot pepper)

Flour

Milk

Fry up the sausage in a large skillet until it's no longer pink. Remove from the pan.

Take about 2-4 tablespoons of flour and make a rue out of the grease and flour. Work to scrape the sausage bits that are on the bottom of the frypan. I make my rue using just a plain old table fork - it's easier for me than a wisk. Turn up your heat and get the rue almost popping - bubbling. Add a little milk - like 1/2 cup. Continue to stir. Add more milk. Stir constantly. Keep your heat up so that the mixture starts to boil. If it looks too thick after a few minutes, then add more milk. If it looks thin, keep stiring (you can add a little cornstarch and water into the gravy if you're accidentally added too much milk.) Add a little (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon) of the Bell's Seasoning - I just shake it in 'cuz I love the stuff. Salt and Pepper to taste. Spike is also a good seasoning. A tiny dash of red pepper - I mean TINY - will help the flavor.

Now, you asked about biscuits...

I make biscuits that would make a preacher kick out a stained glass window they're so good.

My secret?

The biscuit recipe on the back of the Clabber Girl Baking Powder box and King Arthur Flour.

No kidding.

And - don't kneed your lard or shortening too much into your flour. Keep the size of the pieces a little bigger than peas.

And - when you add your water or milk to your biscuit dough - make sure it's icy cold.

Enjoy!

One more thing - you can easily make this vegetarian by replacing the sausage with a meat substitute, like from Morning Farms, and use soy milk. I've had to make this vegetarian before and it came out suprisingly good. Extra Spike helps, too.

Edited by ChasUFarley

How bout a good southern recipe for bisquits and gravy.

1 lb Jimmy dean sage sausage, keep crumbling it as it cooks so you get all the grease you can.

I add a piece or two of bacon for the flavor

Once that is good and browned, you strain it into a bowl to catch the grease.

Put the grease back into the pan, it has to be good and hot to brown the flour ok?

Put in flour a little at a time, to make it not stiff like a rue but not greasy looking, the more you do it, the easier it will be to judge the amount of flour. let it brown, but not burn, you have to watch it...

once it is brown add milk a big splash at a time, stirring until it is the thickness you like.

Now comes the fun part, my friends and family have told me that the latest incarnation was the best, and I been making this for over 30 years.

Add a dash of maple syrup, a dash of molasses, a few jolts of hot sauce, salt and peppper to taste, and honey, you could pour this gravy on old shoes and you'd eat it. My husband was actually licking the pan after it was cold. I sez, girl, you have got yourself a winner. The secret to gravy is keep tasting it, and add what you like. That's how I got this one.

I really like the Pillsbury frozen bisquits, they rise good, they taste good and they cook up in a few minutes.

Tell me if you like it, okay?

• 2 months later...
sausage, keep crumbling it as it cooks so you get all the grease you can.

I add a piece or two of bacon for the flavor

Once that is good and browned, you strain it into a bowl to catch the grease.

Put the grease back into the pan, it has to be good and hot to brown the flour ok?

Put in flour a little at a time, to make it not stiff like a rue but not greasy looking, the more you do it, the easier it will be to judge the amount of flour. let it brown, but not burn, you have to watch it...

once it is brown add milk a big splash at a time, stirring until it is the thickness you like.

this is how I do my gravy but without the bacon and I use Neese's sausage. ;) I've always heard the milk has to go in slowly and definitely not all at once or else you get one big clump.

Watch out - it might be a tatoo......

Nah... just some dents in my can! :redface2: The tat is a little higher than that...

Old-Fashioned Biscuits (as shown on Clabber Girl can)

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 1/2 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup shortening

3/4 cup milk

1 tablespoon soft margarine or butter

Instructions

In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add the milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just till moistened and dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl (dough will be sticky).

On a floured surface, lightly knead dough with floured hands for 30 seconds or till nearly smooth. Lightly roll dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts.

Place biscuits close together on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops with soft margarine. Bake in a 475° oven for 11 to 15 minutes or till golden brown. Serve warm.

Yield

Makes about 8

• 5 months later...
Dooj, this thread is about saugage and gravey. I want my biscuits, damn it! ;)

"Seek and ye shall find..." Knock and the kitchen will be opened to you...(If you're nice ;))

Scroll up to post #13. :biglaugh:

• 1 month later...

I realize that this could be considered cheating, but I dump out about half the grease, and add a stick of butter to replace it before adding the flour. Makes a "high end" gravy. Taste it side by side with some made the other way. Healthier? Probably not!

.jpg

I realize that this could be considered cheating, but I dump out about half the grease, and add a stick of butter to replace it before adding the flour. Makes a "high end" gravy. Taste it side by side with some made the other way. Healthier? Probably not!

I guess that makes mine an even 'higher end' gravy. :biglaugh:

I don't use any of the fat from the sausage. I make the base for the gravy in a separate pot, starting with a roux. I find this makes a smoother end product. I also prefer to use more exact measurements for more consistent results.

• 1 month later...

Man...it's time you guys got some real sausages (links), fried 'em up with some onions, and made a nice thick gravy (brown, and made with water) to pour over the whole sausages. Accompany this with some boiled and mashed some potatoes and pour the gravy over the sausages and the mashed potato. Yum yum.

Serve with Brussels sprouts or some kind of green vegetable.

Lovely evening meal. :)

If you must use the milk sauce, grate cheese into it and dump it on top of some cauliflower.

The "biscuits" are quite nice as scones for afternoon tea. Put some sultanas into the mix before baking and serve with butter and perhaps jam (jelly).

Which part don't you like, CoolChef?

BTW the sausages are in links and they are generally about 1" in diameter and about 5" long. They come in many different flavors.