GreaseSpot Cafe

Health tips

Don't know if it's been done but I would like to start something on how to stay healthy.

I'll start and hopefully others will join in.

A must-

1 Exercise 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. A combination of muscle training and aerobics is the best.

(that why you can have a couple of drinks a dayand belch or whatever and not gain too much weight.)

• 4 weeks later...
Don't know if it's been done but I would like to start something on how to stay healthy.

I'll start and hopefully others will join in.

A must-

1 Exercise 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. A combination of muscle training and aerobics is the best.

(that why you can have a couple of drinks a dayand belch or whatever and not gain too much weight.)

Hello I see nobody answered so I thought I'd jump in. I'm 45,a Nurse Practitioner and can't do all the pounding and running excercise I used to do. I bought an "aeropilates" machine that seems pretty good for 230 bucks. I am also lucky in that I have free access to 2 gyms, although haven't been taking as much advantage as I might. There are alot of worthless gimmicks out there. Do not buy an "ab machine", waste of money. I have found resistance training to be actually better than cardio for weight control and if it is done one set after another, you are getting a cardio workout. I would say 30 min 3x a week is about the minimum, probably not enough for those who struggle with a weight problem. Most will need 30-60 minites a day 4-6 x a week, not to make a "religion" out of it. I can strongly recommend resistance tubing which is now available from the equivalent of 3lbs to 100 lbs and inexpensive, easy to store. weight training should not be that complicated, there are 10 or 15 basic excersices which is all you need. walking is ok but impractical 12 months of the year in many parts of the country. also not strenuous enough once you are no longer a beginner. I can no longer "work off" calories the way i used to so just plain eating less is unfortunately part of the equation. not going out to dinner, even though i've finally arrived at the point where i can afford it! the French have some great stay-in -shape habits: no snacks like potatoe chips and they eat alot of soup, which is filling for the calories. decide what foods you can't live without, and just don't keep things you tend to overeat at home. i get pistachio ice cream out somewhere because if it is in the house...well you know. above all, LET PEACE BE YOUR UMPIRE! Yep, there was some truth in some of that stuff we were taught!

Hello I see nobody answered so I thought I'd jump in. I'm 45,a Nurse Practitioner and can't do all the pounding and running excercise I used to do. I bought an "aeropilates" machine that seems pretty good for 230 bucks. I am also lucky in that I have free access to 2 gyms, although haven't been taking as much advantage as I might. There are alot of worthless gimmicks out there. Do not buy an "ab machine", waste of money. I have found resistance training to be actually better than cardio for weight control and if it is done one set after another, you are getting a cardio workout. I would say 30 min 3x a week is about the minimum, probably not enough for those who struggle with a weight problem. Most will need 30-60 minites a day 4-6 x a week, not to make a "religion" out of it. I can strongly recommend resistance tubing which is now available from the equivalent of 3lbs to 100 lbs and inexpensive, easy to store. weight training should not be that complicated, there are 10 or 15 basic excersices which is all you need. walking is ok but impractical 12 months of the year in many parts of the country. also not strenuous enough once you are no longer a beginner. I can no longer "work off" calories the way i used to so just plain eating less is unfortunately part of the equation. not going out to dinner, even though i've finally arrived at the point where i can afford it! the French have some great stay-in -shape habits: no snacks like potatoe chips and they eat alot of soup, which is filling for the calories. decide what foods you can't live without, and just don't keep things you tend to overeat at home. i get pistachio ice cream out somewhere because if it is in the house...well you know. above all, LET PEACE BE YOUR UMPIRE! Yep, there was some truth in some of that stuff we were taught!

Love your post

• 4 years later...

David Anderson, who brought up oxygenated water, saved my life with that because I have weak kidneys and the oxygenated water I have been using these last 10 years has kept my kidneys working. (I should have been on dialysis years ago, but I have been ok.)

Anyway, I got an email from him today with a product that sounds pretty good. I am going to try it.

I was introduced to a new product last week by my friend Jack Rukenbrod. He's now a distributor for a product called Protandim, which is composed of five herbs that, in the ratios in which it is made, has a synergetic effect that multiplies the direct benefit of each of the five by 78 times.

Seems that this product obviates many of the supplements used by the public these days in that they generally have a one to one effect- one ounce of supplement removes one ounce of "baddies" (free radicals) from the body. Protandim evidently gets a message into the nucleus of each cell that turns up or down, depending on which of the 25,000 genes on each DNA molecule it addresses, the manufacture of antioxidant enzymes to protect the cell from free radicals. And so it doesn't do the job of getting rid of free radicals itself but rather cranks up the body to get rid of them itself. And so the ratio, instead of being one to one, can be thousands to one or millions to one. Like the old adage about giving a man a pair of shoes, in which case he'll need shoes again, or teaching a man how to make shoes, in which case the man will always have shoes (even if they're not the high priced ones the rich and famous buy).

Anyway, if you go to YouTube and put in the search engine Dr. Joe McCord or the word Protandim, there are hours upon hours of video to watch with lectures, complete with charts- sort of like a PFAL class. In fact, Dr. McCord was discovering superoxidedismutase (SOD) down at Duke University about the time I was hitting the road with the PFAL films back in '68 (and the effect of drinking oxygenated water was being tested in Germany by Dr. Pacdamin). Dr. McCord was a graduate student at that time and the discovery of SOD led to a whole new field of study called free radical biology. It had been around in it's infancy for maybe ten years, dealing mostly with theories, but with the discovery of SOD, an antioxidant enzyme the body makes, the number of published research articles in free radical biology went from1 to 70,000 today- sort of like VPW teaching folks how to study their Bibles in the PFAL class .(after they finally realize that this book just might be a quantum leap above all others to study.)

So, Protandim was discovered by him about six years ago and this past January was the inaugural convention of the company that makes it, Lifevantage. If you go to the YouTube list on Protandim, you'll see a number of major news reports on Protandim (CBS, NBC, Wall Street Journal, etc.) and the real meat is in the seven part lecture series (each about an hour long) by Dr. McCord, done at the convention. I think you'll find it fascinating. I've been going over them for the past week. Jack gave me three bottles of the pills (a three month supply- one a day) and I started taking them last Monday. One of the lectures says that taking them for 30 days brings back the markers for "age related stress disorders" to those of a 30 year old. Unfortunately, like oxygenated water and hyperbarics, it doesn't roll the clock back to that time, just makes our bodies able to fight all our battles like we could when we were 30- not an insignificant advantage!

Actually, it appears to deal with the opposite side of the equation that oxygenated water does, in that it deals with taking out the trash caused by chemical reactions, while the addition of oxygen helps allow those reactions go to completion. If we had the ideal food and enough oxygen to burn it, there would be no need to take out the trash since there would be none to take out other than carbon dioxide and water. But like an automobile engine, even though we've come a long way in refining fuels and insuring stocheometric amounts of oxygen for combustion, we still need catalytic converters and we still need to change the oil to maximize the life of the engine and not pollute the countryside.

I thought someone else might like to try it, too.

The presence of dissolved oxygen in water can be beneficial in aiding with the removal of undesirable substances such as iron. Beyond that, there are no health benefits derived from oxygenating water. In other words, it's just another example of "bad science". If you truly have water that contains harmful substances that are often found in private well systems, such as arsenic, barium, chromium, microcysts, etc., a highly preferred, scientifically proven method of purifying such water would be reverse osmosis. There is tons and tons of empirical data relating to reverse osmosis. You might want to field your questions at THIS link.

• 1 month later...

Reverse Osmosis: What method do you use? What kind of equipment? I have been interested in getting this kind of a water purifier but there are so many different versions out there. What do you suggest? (We currently use a Kenmore distiller, which has been working steadily for almost 10 years, but Sears doesn't sell them anymore.)

Regarding oxygenated water: I have been drinking oxygenated water for all these years since Dave told us about it, and I only know that before I started drinking oxygenated water I was on a dead end course toward kidney failure per the doctors, and I have been healthy in that category since. And if I don't drink oxygenated water, the problem (demonstrated by dark brown output) returns.

Prodantim and what it does: And here is some information about Prodantim. I have been taking it for almost a month, and notice the effects in general overall increase in energy and thinking ability also arthritis pains are receding and liver spots fading. It works for me. My Fred has multiple body parts which are not working correctly and he just started Prodantim yesterday. And are praying it works for him also.

Here is what Dave Anderson sent me in response to a request for a synthesis of what Prodantim does. He doesn't sell it. You can buy it for $50/bottle on amazon.com or get it from a distributor as a "preferred customer" (a monthly or quarterly repeat order) for $40/bottle. If you want to get in touch with Dave's friend Jack, give me a "message" here at Greasespot Cafe.

I’m not planning on being a distributor but would dearly love to see Jack succeed as a distributor and Protandim succeed as a product. After taking it now for almost six weeks, what I suspected after a week or two is now obvious. Back in June when I had the piece of skin cancer removed from my back, the doctor said I would surely have more of them pop up and shortly before starting on Protandim I noticed maybe a dozen outbreaks on my back that I could feel with my hands (and would pick at- not a good thing.) and caused concern. They are now mostly all gone- Praise the Lord!

Jack reported the other day that he got the test results back from blood work he has done every year or so. In this case it had been a year and a half since the last one and one measure of potential heart problems was down 10% and is now well within the normal range. Unfortunately, he didn’t have results from right before he started taking Protandim, and so can’t say for certain that the eight weeks he was on Protandim caused the blood work to improve or not. But I don’t know that he did anything else differently than he had before and so it’s logical to think it was the Protandim that caused the good results. As he reported to you, he also had improved prostrate function and so doesn’t have to get up and go to the bathroom as many times a night as before.

As far as a synopsis goes, I’ll try, but would caution that there is no substitute to the YouTube.com videos on Dr.McCord and Protandim, as well as all the stuff on PubMed.gov. Particularly, the major network coverage (CBS, NBC and PBS) on YouTube provides a better synopsis than I can give and there’s nothing like the seven part lecture by Dr. McCord on Protandim that he gave to the Inaguaral Convention of Protandim distributors, also on YouTube..\

But here goes…

Snyopsis of Protantim

Protandim is a mixture of five herbs and is therefore a dietary supplement rather than a drug. Although it is not a drug, it probably has been studied more thoroughly than most drugs have as it’s discoverer, Dr. Joe McCord, is the biochemist that first put the field of free radical biology on the map back in 1968 with his discovery of Superoxidedismutase (SOD), an antioxidant that the body makes to neutralize free radicals (which, in turn, are made in response to the various stresses the body undergoes). With that discovery, proof was provided for the legitimacy of a field of study that until then was almost entirely theoretical. Free Radical Biology was on the map and since 1968 some 80,000 scientific papers on the subject have been published, showing the central role that free radicals (parts of molecules with an unpaired electron in the outer orbit) have in disease and aging processes. Without SOD and other antioxidants that the body makes (or that we get from the foods we eat or antioxidant supplements), the level of free radicals in the body can get out of control and that leads to inflammation, fibrosis, and other processes that try to isolate what the body can’t eliminate, but in the process cause blockages (like plaque, hardening of the arteries, arthritis, decrease of blood flow and consequent lack of oxygen to tissue, etc.), which further debilitate the body.

Unlike other antioxidant supplements, Protandim’s mechanism of action is not merely direct (ie. one molecule of supplement neutralizing one free radical). It has the capacity to signal the nucleus of the cell to make it’s own antioxidants and so one molecule of Protandim can cause thousands of free radicals to be neutralized. In addition, the particular mixture of herbs used to make Protandim has been found to have a synergistic effect in that the power to provide this signal to the nucleus is about 9 times as potent as it would be if the same amount of each herb had been eaten separately. And so, in effect, Protandim is a quantum leap ahead of all the other antioxidant supplements on the market today. Like in the old adage of “give a man a pair of shoes and he’ll need shoes again, teach a man how to make shoes and he’ll always have shoes”, Protandim is the teacher rather than the welfare case worker that doles out shoes.

There is a test that measures how the body is doing with regard to free radicals and it’s ability to neutralize them. It is called TBARS (thiobarituric acid reactive substance). It is not yet commonly used by the medical profession, but Dr. McCord says it is a more accurate predictor of age related stress disorders than high/low cholesterol is. Studies of people taking Protandim have shown that this TBARS test, done after 30 days taking Protandim, show that TBARS has gone down to the level of a healthy 20-30 year old. In other words, our ability to neutralize free radicals goes down with age and consequently TBARS goes up. Protandim brings TBARS back to where it was when we were young and healthy- allowing the aging process to reverse itself (in it’s ability to fight free radicals at least). Currently many universities are studying Protandim’s use in fighting numerous disease processes. PubMed.gov publishes many of these results online as they become available. And hospitals are beginning to study the effects of taking Protandim on the health care costs of their employees. It is an entire field of study that is just beginning.

For more information the reader is encouraged to go to YouTube.com and PubMed.gov and use their search engines to find Protandim and/or Dr. Joe McCord.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Dave

Here is the message from Dave which prompted me to request a synopsis of Prodantim. The links are to articles with further information:

Hello Kit. Thought you might be interested in a section of a paper I just read. While some of it may be hard to follow, I think it will give you an idea of some of the benifit of what Protandim may be doing in our bodies.

1.7. Nrf2 activators as potential therapies for oxidative stress, inflammation, and chemoprevention

Many Nrf2 activators are naturally-occurring and plant-derived, but many others are synthetic compounds not found in Nature. Several Nrf2 activators have progressed to animal experiments and even to human clinical trials. Among the more interesting is bardoxolone methyl [or methyl 2-cyano-3,12-dioxooleana-1,9(11)dien-28-oate] (Reata Pharmaceuticals), currently in Phase 2/3 clinical trials. It was recently reported that a clinical trial of bardoxolone methyl in patients with moderate chronic kidney disease found significant and sustained improvements in estimated glomerular filtration rate with parallel improvements in other measures of kidney function, in a 52-week study (Pergola et al., 2011). BG-12 (dimethyl fumarate) (Biogen Idec) is in clinical trials for the treatment or relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (Kappos et al., 2008). Protandim® (LifeVantage Corp.) is a patented dietary supplement consisting of five low-dose natural Nrf2 activators that achieves its effect through a 9-fold synergy obtained when all five components are present together (Velmurugan et al., 2009). The mechanism of Nrf2 activation was concluded to be through multiple kinase pathways, including PI-3 kinase, p38 MAPK, and PKCdelta. A study in humans with oral administration showed significant elevations in SOD1 and catalase, with a decrease in plasma markers of lipid peroxidation (Nelson et al., 2006). Protandim induced Nrf2 and HO-1 in a rat model of SU5416/hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension, reducing oxidative stress and cardiac fibrosis, preserving right ventricular microcirculation, maintaining right heart function, and reducing expression of osteopontin-1 (Bogaard et al., 2009). Osteopontin-1, a marker of fibrosis, was also decreased by oral Protandim supplementation in mdx mice, a model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (Qureshi et al., 2010), a disease where fatal heart and diaphragm fibrosis are thought to be regulated by osetopontin (Vetrone et al., 2009).

A substantial literature documents the chemopreventive effect of Nrf2 activators, particularly those that are naturally occurring (such as sulforaphane and curcumin) and found in foods ( [Giudice and Montella, 2006] and [surh et al., 2008] ). In a two-stage mouse skin carcinogenesis model, a Protandim-supplemented diet was found to reduce skin tumor incidence and multiplicity by 33% and 57%, respectively, compared to mice on basal diet (Liu et al., 2009). Suppression of p53 and induction of mitochondrial SOD are thought to play an important role in the tumor suppressive activity of Protandim (Robbins et al., 2010).

Best wishes,

Dave

It is one of many multi-level marketing companies. MLM does not use biblical principles in the business setup and truly 'muzzles the ox' in the broad picture.

On September 15, 2011, LifeVantage entered into an agreement with entertainer Donny Osmond to act as a spokesperson for the company’s products. The 2-year contract stipulates that the company will pay Osmond for various promotional appearances and video recordings and commissions for sales of LifeVantage products.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protandim

Agreed that MLM is a real destroyer. I remember Steed and knew people with mechanical and electronic understanding who said it was a good product, but the MLM set up ensured it would not survive. I am hoping that LifeVantage returns to the Biblical method of free enterprise.

In 2009, LifeVantage was sued by Utah-based Zrii LLC, a marketer of nutritional fruit drinks endorsed by Deepak Chopra, based on allegations that LifeVantage had conspired with former Zrii executives

My friends became Zrii distributors. They invited me to a meeting to learn about purchasing and/or becoming a distributor. However, the only way to purchase the product was to sign up to be a distributor---at the $250, $500, $1000, or $1500 level. They teach that the higher level you sign up, the more commission you make when you get others under your sales force. I couldn't believe how many people signed up!! When I told them I couldn't possibly do so until I tried the product, they said they don't actually keep inventory to sell, but by becoming a distributor, I would get it at a discount.

Bunch of mumbo-jumbo! I have yet to see an MLM company turn back to biblical principles. If you are considering the Protandim product Kit, I just want you to be VERY careful...wise as serpents...harmless as doves.