GreaseSpot Cafe

Meatloaf

Shellon

I need a meatloaf recipe. Just a basic one, no frills. I have my mothers recipe but my kid won't eat it and it might be useful as mortar material.

A good meatloaf is a treasure, as far as I'm concerned and cold sandwiches with it the next day...... yum!

5# 80% burger

6 eggs

3 ladles of bread crumbs

some garlic powder

onion powder

poultry seasoning

salt pepper

mix it all together form a loaf

top it with 6 or so strips of bacon

cover with film then foil

350 for about 45 min

uncover then 15 more mins

that the way i do it

no frills

Coolchef,

How big is a ladle? I got a meatloaf pan(s) for Christmas and am anxious to try it out. This thingee is actually a pan within a pan.. the top pan where you place the meatloaf mixture has holes in the bottom of it. It then is placed into a larger pan... where the grease goes (through the holes) while cooking so that the meatloaf doesn't have all that grease in it.

sudo

Herbed Meat Loaf

1 Lb ground beef

1/2 Lb ground veal (Shell - I would add 1/2 Lb beef and 1/2 Lb pork if you want to eliminate the veal.)

1/2 Lb ground lean pork

1/2 cup fine bread crumbs (I use Italian bread crumbs for the extra seasoning)

3/4 cup chopped parsley

1/4 cup finely chopped chives

2 or 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 Tbs fresh basil, finley chopped or 1Tbs dried

1/4 cup green pepper, coarsely chopped

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1 egg, slightly beaten

bacon slices to cover top

1. Preheat oven to 350 F

2. In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients' except for the bacon slices.

3. Line a nine-inch pie plate with aluminum foil and shape the meat mixture into an oval loaf. Place the loaf on the foil and cover with bacon slices.

4. Bake one and half hours. Serve with Mushroom sauce (optional)

Mushroom Sauce

2 Tbs butter

1 Tbp chopped parsley

1/2 clove garlic, chopped fine

1 Tbs flour

1 cup chicken broth

1/8 tsp nutmeg

3/4 Lb mushrooms, thinly sliced (feel free to get creative here - experiment with all sorts of mushrooms)

1/4 cup dry sherry

1. In a saucepan heat one tablespoon of the butter, add the parsley, garlic, and onion and cook over medium heat 3 minutes. Stir in the flour. gradually add the broth, stirring constantly. Add nutmeg.

2 In a skillet heat the remaining butter, add the mushrooms and saute five minutes. Combine with the sauce and simmer fifteen minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Serve with roast meats of poultry.

Edited by doojable

I make mine with a recipe very similar to Chef's but with the Shoney's style sauce on the top -

About 20 min before it's DONE...

MIX:

1/2 cup of ketchup

1/2 cup of brown sugar

1/2 tsp of garlic powder

1/2 tsp of worstershire sauce

spread over the top of the meatloaf and return to oven.

It makes a sweet tomato glaze that's to die for!

Enjoy!

Yes it is worth it, to me. I enjoy the taste of it, it's pretty inexpensive to prepare, my kid will eat it. In our house there are two things on the menu every meal.

1. Take it

2. Leave it

So if it works for us, it's like anything in your home or someone else's home that I might not care for or wish to have a recipe for.

Signed,

Not white trash

I don't make meatloaf anymore - the kids won't eat it. I was not going to pass up the opportunity to help out someone who asked.

I have a stable of about 10 cookbooks that I use a lot. Then I have about 30 more that have been given to me by folks that just don't know what else to give me and they know I like to cook. (These are usually worthless BTW - once you have some good cookbooks its hard to have someone buy one for you unless they really know what they're doing.) On top of that I have lots of head knowledge from lots of years of cooking.

Now George, I can post on making sushi at home....I've made it before and a friend that has a Japanese in-law that made her own sushi RAVED about mine. Even said that my miso soup was "perfection"

To each his own.

Hi Shell,

I recently tried this recipe from the food network channel and cut/pasted it here for you. I'm not a great cook but was able to pull this one off. Also, I didn't use pork (don't want to insult psalmie :biglaugh: ) but 93% beef and it turned out fine (moist!).

Tomato Relish:

Extra-virgin olive oil

1 onion, finely diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 bay leaves

2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and finely diced

2 tomatoes, halved, seeded, and finely diced

1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1 (12-ounce) bottle ketchup

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Meatloaf:

3 slices white bread, crusts removed, torn into chunks by hand

1/4 cup whole milk

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1 pound ground pork

2 eggs

Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 to 4 bacon slices

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Coat a skillet with a 2-count of oil and place over medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic, and bay leaves for a few minutes to create a base flavor. Throw in the red peppers and cook them for a couple of minutes to soften. Now add the tomatoes; adding them at this point lets them hold their shape and prevents them from disintegrating. Stir in the parsley, ketchup, and Worcestershire; season with salt and pepper. Simmer the relish for 5 minutes to pull all the flavors together. Remove it from the heat; you should have about 4 cups of relish.

Place the torn white bread in a bowl and add the milk to just barely cover, swish the bread around in the milk and let it sit while you get the rest of the ingredients for the meat loaf together.

This is where you get your hands dirty! In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and pork with 1 1/2 cups of the tomato relish, the eggs, and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the excess milk from the bread and add the soaked bread to the meat mixture. To test, fry a small "hamburger" patty of the meatloaf until cooked; the patty should hold together but still have a soft consistency. Taste the patty for seasoning.

Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Transfer the meat mixture to the center of the cookie sheet and form into a log about 9 inches long and about 4 inches wide. Coat the top of the meatloaf with another 1/2 cup of the tomato relish. Lay the bacon across the top lengthwise.

Bake the meatloaf for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the bacon is crisp and the meatloaf is firm. Rotate the meat loaf while it's baking every now and then to insure that the bacon browns evenly. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it cool a bit before slicing. Serve with the remaining tomato relish on the side. Unbelievably moist!

Difficulty: Easy

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Edited by ohbehave

Today was Chef's meatloaf recipe and I have to say YUM! We cut the recipe in half since it's just Kelly and I. It was really wonderful. Additionally I dropped the temp a little in case that might be why mine usually come out like a hockey puck.

Thank you, now we gotta try the next one.

And the way it got eaten I don't expect cold meatloaf sandwiches for school tomorrow.

:)

Today was Chef's meatloaf recipe and I have to say YUM! We cut the recipe in half since it's just Kelly and I. It was really wonderful. Additionally I dropped the temp a little in case that might be why mine usually come out like a hockey puck.

Thank you, now we gotta try the next one.

And the way it got eaten I don't expect cold meatloaf sandwiches for school tomorrow.

:)

That's why you make the whole recipe, Shell. Make a lot so that you can have the leftovers for sandwiches.

A few months back on Good Morning America all the anchors were bragging that THEY made the best meatloaf. Well, it turned into a competition and here are the recipes:

Diane Sawyer's

Ingredients

2 pounds ground beef

4-5 slices of white bread toasted and finely crumbled, to make 1 cup

3/4 cup whole milk

1 egg

4-5 canned plum tomatoes drained and diced or 3/4 cup diced canned tomatoes, drained

3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion

3 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper

3 tablespoons finely chopped celery

3/4 cup ketchup (in the meatloaf)

1 cup ketchup (for meatloaf topping)

2 teaspoons salt

1½ teaspoons ground black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine the toasted bread crumbs, the milk and the egg. Mix together with a fork. Let stand 10 minutes.

3. Add the meat, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, celery, 3/4 cup ketchup, and the salt and pepper. Mix together with your hands.

4. Put in center of an iron skillet. Shape into a loaf.

5. Pour the cup of ketchup over the entire top, thickly.

6. Place the skillet into the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees (check with an instant read thermometer).

7. Let stand in juices until cool and firmer.

Sam Champion's

Ingredients

1 large egg

3/4 of a 10 3/4-ounce can of Campbell's Tomato Soup

1 cup Ritz Crackers (finely ground into crumbs in a food processor)

1 3/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1½ cups finely diced onion

2 pounds ground beef

1 pound ground pork

Directons

2. In a large bowl whisk egg thoroughly, add the tomato soup, and continue to whisk until combined. Add the Ritz Cracker crumbs, the salt, the pepper and the onions. Continue to mix until thoroughly combined. Then add the beef and the pork and continue to mix with your hands until thoroughly combined.

3. Place mixture into a 9-by-5-by-3-inch oven-proof (Pyrex) pan, and shape into a loaf.

4. Put into preheated oven and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes, until an instant read thermometer reaches 165 degrees F.

5. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.

Chris Cuomo's

Ingredients

2 large eggs

1 cup whole milk

3 slices Wonder Bread without crusts

½ cup fine, dry bread crumbs

1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon salt

1½ tsp ground black pepper

½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley

1 medum onion chopped fine (1 ½ cup)

2 Red Delicious apples peeled, cored and grated

1 pound fatty sirloin beef

1 pound ground veal

1 pound ground pork

Topping

1 cup ketchup

¼ cup Dijon mustard

¼ cup honey

Instructions:

2. In a large bowl whisk the eggs. Then whisk in milk until thoroughly combined. Add bread and let soak in egg-milk mixture. Press down with the whisk to submerge bread. Then add the breadcrumbs, the Worcestershire sauce, the vanilla, the cinnamon sugar, the garlic powder, the salt, and the parsley, and whisk together thoroughly. Then add the onion and the apple and whisk. Then mix in the meat using your hands.

3. To make topping, in a medium bowl whisk the ketchup with the mustard and honey.

4. Spread half the topping on the bottom and sides of a 9 by 5 by 3-inch ovenproof (Pyrex) baking dish, with a rubber spatula. Place the meat mixture in the pan, and shape into a loaf. Spread the remainder of the topping on the loaf with an offset spatula.

5. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes, until the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 165 degrees.

6. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

Robin Robert's

Ingredients

1 large egg

1 cup whole milk

2 tsp salt

1 tsp ground black pepper

4 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed

1 medium onion, diced to make 1 ½ cups

1 green pepper, diced to make 1 ¼ cups

3 pounds ground chuck

1/2 of a 10 ¾ oz. can of Cambell's tomato soup

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.

2. In a large bowl combine the egg and the milk, stirring with a wire whisk. Add the salt and the pepper. Then add the cubed bread. Then add the onion and the green pepper. Combine with the whisk. Then add the beef with your hands. Mix until thoroughly combined.

3. Place mixture in a 9" X 5" X 3" ovenproof (Pyrex) loaf pan. Shape into a loaf. Carefully spread 1/2 a can of tomato soup on top of the meatloaf with an offset spatula. Place the meatloaf pan into a roasting pan (to catch the juice that drips over while the meatloaf bakes.)

4. Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Farenheit and top is browned nicely.

5. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.

Robin is black, but she IS from Miss'ippi, so maybe that's why her recipe is awfully similar to this white trash gurl's recipe. :biglaugh: I do plan to try Chris's though, his came in second.

yeah and it's 11 below zero here this morning.

:unsure:

After that attempt at meatloaf, making only 1/2 the recipe cuz who wants alot of sucky meatloaf hanging around the house, Kelly loved it! Nothing left for sandwiches as I've said.

She's already asking when we can make it again.

It's cheap to make, it's fast, it's tasty and I could probably even make it in the crock pot.

Life is good, no?