GreaseSpot Cafe

On behalf of George (LG or Long Gone as he's known here)

LG

Dear Lisa,

I thought very highly of your father here on these forums. So many times, I sought his opinions, counsel, and insights regarding the trivialities of life (but they were important, to me anyway, at the time that I asked him, and he respected that). I was heartened by his optimism through his diagnosis and treatments, as I'm sure you were inspired by his courage.

I know (as do you) that your father thought the world of you. He took very seriously his role in your life, bragging about you at every opportunity, or even when he didn't have the opportunity! He would then create one, fitting into the conversation (even if it didn't fit) how extraordinarily proud he was to have you as his daughter. Not everything he has said about you here has survived the moves, prunings, and various other adjustments that have been made to these forums over the years, but here are just a few of his thoughts about you -- his vignettes, praises, and the unabashed pride he had in your accomplishments. He made sure it was all recorded for the universe to take note:

Feb. 11, 2006, 02:41 a.m.:

Due to poor maintenance in the past, my body is breaking, much earlier than it should have. I'm not sure how much of the damage can be reversed at this point, but unless it can, I don't think I'm going to be around too much longer. That's pretty depressing in one sense, but being the somewhat optimistic pragmatist that I am, I tend to be thankful that my life has been better than many, if not most, and am now focused on trying to make sure that I leave behind the best legacy possible, given my circumstances, and at least the certainty in my daughter's mind that I love her and have, within my severe limitations, done my best for her. Not much else matters.

Jan 17 2006, 12:39 AM

For myself, about all the comfort I would wish would be the knowledge that those I care about would carry fond memories of me and hopefully benefit in the future from whatever good I have been able to instill in their lives. Knowing that I have positively influenced my daughter's life, and thereby the lives of others she will impact in the future, gives all the value to my life that I need. As long as I have my affairs in order, so that I don't leave her a burden, I can die a happy man, whether it be tonight or fifty years from now.

Jan 17 2006, 12:39 AM:

My daughter was not raised to believe in God or gods. (I was still trying to sort out what I thought about that during her early years, but I was quite open about my doubts, and became secure in my conclusion that there is no God by the time she was six or seven.) She is now 22 years old and is a better, more loving, more stable person than I was at her age. I actually find myself envying her for that at times.

Jan 16 2006, 07:25 AM:

She had a weekend job as a cast member in a Renaissance fair. Part of her costume was a dagger. One weekend, she forgot to take her costume out of her car and drove to school that Monday with the costume (and dagger) in plain sight in the back seat. She was called to the Asst. Principal's office, where she explained the situation and suggested that she give him the dagger and that he call me to come to school and pick it up. He said that wouldn't be necessary and told her to put the dagger in the glove compartment, where it would be out of sight, and to be careful not to bring it to school again. If he'd gone the "zero tolerance" route, I probably would have had my daughter drop out, take a GED, and go on to college a year early. She would have lost out on some financial aid but that probably would have been cheaper than suing the school district, which would have been another option. Instead, the guy used good judgment, my daughter learned to be more careful, and I was spared the hassle and expense of dealing with stupidity. A good outcome all the way around, much better than the outcome of the near-concurrent outcome of a Fort Worth honor student who worked as a waitress in the Stockyard district, carried mace for her protection, and was found with iit in her purse at school. She was put in an alternative education program, which screwed up her chances to graduate with honors and several scholarship opportunities . . .

Instead of all the potential problems, the situation turned out well for everyone. My daughter went on to have the best grades in her class (would have been valedictorian had she not received credit for extracurricular drama activities that were not weighted like advanced classes, and the extra non-weighted credits dropped her to third in her class, even though she had the best grades in both regular and advanced courses).

Dec 16 2005, 08:06 PM:

I raised a daughter by myself. The sorts of intimate conversations women have with their daughters, I’ve had with mine. The sorts of things they do with their daughters, I've done with mine. The things they teach their daughters, I’ve taught mine. That often required that I learn or do things that I otherwise wouldn’t have, so I learned and did. It required that I explore and discuss feelings and interests that were foreign to me, so I explored and discussed.

May 7 2005, 12:00 PM:

My daughter died her hair purple once, but that was after she graduated from high school, and she died it back to her natural color (well, almost) shortly afterward. Things like that are silly, IMO, but they're harmless.

Apr 28 2005, 09:24 AM

My daughter is a theater major at UNT in Denton and was active in both high school theater and the community theater in a larger town not far from our little Northeast Texas town . . .

The drama program at my daughter's high school was mediocre until her junior year. In the Spring semester of that year, a new speech and drama teacher came in and immediately took their one act play to State. My daughter, who had the lead role, made the State all star cast . . .

Dec 12 2003, 02:24 PM

[M]y daughter just turned 20. She has already stepped out into the world, to some extent, being away at college, but is still not completely independent. I don't have any younger children, but if I did, I think I would be just as optimistic for them as I am for her.

Dec 12 2003, 01:16 PM:

I'm thrilled to be a parent, and optimistic about many things about the world my daughter is stepping out into. I would love to be her age, facing such a future.

And, concerning your step-brother:

Feb 11 2004, 01:03 AM:

I married a woman with a two-year-old son. I poured my heart into loving and raising him for over ten years.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by laleo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry for your loss as well. I didn't know LG well, but we're all related here on GS. That you would take the time to post here with an update speaks volumes of your character and heart. Know that your dad was a good man, loved and respected here. [

Dearest Lisa,

My name is Wayne. I knew your father George in Irving TX from 1984 - 86. You were a precious little thing then, the gleam in his eye. I am so sorry to hear he has passed on. It is however, comforting that he went peacefully. George was a wise, honest, hard-working man. He will be missed by many. My heart goes out to you over your loss. I lost my father a few years ago. It doesn't matter how old one is when it happens, it is not an event one can totally prepare for. You can have comfort in knowing your father was loved by many people who knew him personally, and via this board. I wish you only the best. I know you will do well. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Lisa,

I only knew your dad for a very few posts (until I just read this thread) and I too send my condolences to you. It's a joy and privilege to have had a good dad...so many daughters have not. How wonderful to know that you filled his heart with joy overflowing!!! What a blessing to carry that ... and him ... with you forever.

God bless you.

Grace

Lisa,

I’m very sorry that your father is gone. LG was a clear and solid thinker. Although he was an atheist and I a Christian theist, we had developed a level of mutual respect. He conducted himself honorably. He even posted in my defense a few times.

I’ll miss him.

Lisa,

I loved agreeing with your dad. I loved disagreeing with him. He was honest, forthright, upfront... everything a friend should be. Had I known him in person, I'm confident we would have been very good friends.

We at the Cafe just lost something wonderful. How much greater your loss must be.

Our friend is gone, but his legacy never will be.

Raf

Lisa, I'm so sorry for you and your family.

George was the voice of reason and compassion in my eyes. He helped me tremendously through the years and there aren't enough words to describe the peace he helped me come to find in my own heart and life.

He was a true gem of a man and friend here at the cafe - Very well respected and loved by so many. I'm really going to miss him.

Some people I’ve talked to have questions that they may or may not feel free to ask. It may seem odd, but what made me finally decide to post about my death was someone asking me “Are you afraid?” I’m not. I have some concerns about some of the things I’ll face leading to death, but at least for now, I’m not afraid of death itself.

from dear george about a month ago....

i'm so glad you were not afraid

i just wish you weren't gone

And his tender words, posting on Wyoman's memorial thread -- a month ago.

I enjoyed Al's posts on a variety of topics, and very much liked what I could perceive of him as a person, through his writing. My heart goes out to you, Robes for your loss of a beloved friend. Also to Al's family, especially Tannis and her daughters, who have endured so much long-term and sudden tragedy recently.

from george march 2, 2006

My mom died today

She asked this morning to be allowed to die in peace. She did just that, about eight hours later. I was with her the whole day.

She was ready to go, I honored her wishes and comforted her as best I could. The hospital people were kind and supportive, especially the nurse who cared for her today, who was as near to an angel as I can imagine anyone being,

Please don't worry about me. I'm fine.

i know he was so thankful she didn't see her darling son pass away

lisa, you are your dad's angel (i know because he told me)

love,ex

• 2 weeks later...

I never saw this until today, Lisa. I am so sorry that this happened, for, George was a very fine man. I am glad that you all enjoyed the salmon. Thank you for toasting me and my family. How kind of George. And I toast you and yours and you all are in my prayers...

God bless you, and, we'll see him again down Life's eternal highway....

Kevin

Lisa, I didn't know your dad well enough to be his friend but I liked and admired him. He's been in my thoughts more often these past few days but I wasn't aware until just now that he had already passed. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

By the time he really is "long gone," he will still be fondly thought of by anyone who knew him here.

I wish you well.