GreaseSpot Cafe

A Question About Garlic

VeganXTC

I found a new recipe for a stew that looks really good, and since I have all the ingredients, and since it snowed yesterday and we might get snow again today (unbelievable! snow after Easter!) I thought I would try it. But here's the thing. It calls for a whole HEAD of garlic. Not a clove, a head.

Now, my family and I love garlic, but this sounds like too much, even for me. But they swear the garlic isn't overpowering, because the cloves aren't chopped, they're left whole. They say its like roasted garlic. I've never had roasted garlic, so that didn't help.

What do you think? Has anyone had roasted garlic? Do you think a whole head of garlic, even left whole, in a stew that serves 6 is too much?

YUMMY!!! I LOVE Garlic!! And, yah, cooked whole it doesn't "stink up" or "spice up" a dish like crushed or chopped garlic does.

Got a funny about garlic... :redface2:

When I was in college I dated a guy who loved garlic. He had been home for Christmas Break and I wanted to do something special to welcome him back. I decided to fix a nice romantic dinner and chose a special dish from a trendy magazine that claimed to be heaven for garlic lovers. Sounded like a good idea.

The recipe called for 3 cloves of garlic. Well, I didn't know what a clove was, so I just assumed it was the whole thing, so halfway into chopping up the first head of garlic, I decided that was going to have to be enough cause I just didn't have that much time. :P

Shoulda seen his face when he first tasted my offering of love in a dish in a candle light setting. :o

garlic is easy.

you go to a garden place or seed store and buy planting bulbs

in the fall

plant it on oct 15 cover it with straw not hay and harvest it on aug 15

even if you don't like garlic it is fun to watch grow this is for the state of maine so i am sure other climates differ

"What do you think? Has anyone had roasted garlic? Do you think a whole head of garlic, even left whole, in a stew that serves 6 is too much?"

Vegan,

We roast garlic often. We bought a special dish (terra cotta thingy at Bed Bath and Beyond) but you can do it in simply foil, or a small oven proof dish. You'll need a firm head but not the giant type. Slice off the tips of all the little cloves while keeping the head in tact, brush a little olive oil on and season. We use salt, pepper, and some Italian seasonings, but you can experiment. Roast (bake) at 350 or so for 20 to 30 minutes. The cloves come out creamy and you can spread them with a butter knife on italian bread or just eat them like that. You can put them in your stew right from the oven, I suppose.

The recipe you mention sounds like it calls for the whole head to be stewed in tact - that sounds similar although I haven't tried it on the stove top. I imagine the cloves would pop out creamy like roasting.

Yumm!

Edited by Happyasaclam

BELLE, you were a bad date for that night but hey we learn. On the learning curve, where were you.

I love pickled garlic , which I often religiously partake in when the desire is there.

My pome (prisoner of mother Elizabeth) wife cooks with it in the majority of meals.

The best way with spices is to have a morsel/pestal and grind up all spices at the moment of cooking. Yes, it is laborious but there isn't anything like a morsel/pestal to release all of the god-given flavors contained in that spice as day and night offfers to a canned thingy. I Love Garlic!

And yes it is effective for chiggers and mosquitoes as yore goes.

It does have a side effect around your friends but hey once my Uncle told me that bad breath was better than no breath at all.

It does have a side effect around your friends but hey once my Uncle told me that bad breath was better than no breath at all.

LOL! True, too! :biglaugh:

Never had pickled garlic. Do you pickle it yourself?

I, too, love garlic and add it to just about everything I cook. Fresh IS best - I agree 100%. I don't have a morsel/pestle though - just use a garlic press, chop or use it whole.

Naw, unforturnately, I buy the store type and have a few cloves when the desire is there. I never got into the knack of preserving foods. My cooking skills is limited to certain dishes I crave. My wife years ago took a nutrition class and cooks with those ideas and since I have lived here in Australia for the last two years, I feel physically better. Garlic is our main ingrediant for all cooking. No, we are not Lebanese either. Shes a pome and I am an Okie.

If you have a microwave oven (who doesn't these days?), you can roast garlic in less than a minute and a half!

A few years back, my daughter bought me a terra cotta garlic roaster (a small dish like bottom with a bell shaped cover).

My favorite way to include garlic is to roast several cloves, chop them up (after roasting) and put the pieces on a pizza right before putting the pizza in the oven. Then I have "toasted roasted garlic"! It's wunnerful!