GreaseSpot Cafe

Curry Dishes

Cowgirl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you still need a good curry recipe, here's my favorite version of Christmas Curry English style:

1 cup chicken broth

5 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup minced onion

6 tablespoons flour

2 1/2-31/2 teaspoons curry powder (pick the curry powder of your choice I like Madras in the can)

1 1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger

(Additional tumeric or 1/2-1 tsp of prepared english mustard can be used to deepen the yellow color of the sauce, if desired)

2 cups milk or any combination of half and half/yogurt/sour cream/unsweetened canned coconut milk

2-4 large potatoes peeled and chopped into bite size pieces and boiled till tender but not mushy

1/2 cup frozen peas

1-3 lbs peeled shrimp cooked or uncooked

Juice of 1/3 lemon or lime

2 hard boiled eggs sliced in eighths lengthwise

Condiments:

1/2 cup chopped peanuts

1/2 cup shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened is Ok

1/2 cip chopped raisins

Optional condiments:

1/2 cup minced or sieved hardboiled eggs

1/2 cup each diced egg, celery, green bell pepper, mango, pineapple, bacon bits, chutney etc.

Directions:

Melt butter in a large pan. Add onion. Simmer until tender. Stir in flour and other dry ingredients. Gradually stir in chicken broth and milk/half and half etc (use any combo of these choices I prefer the 1/2 and 1/2 over milk and substituting 1 cup with the coconut milk). Stir till thickened, add more or less liquid to make the desired consistency, I prefer a thick gravy consistency.

Add cooked potato chunks, peas and shrimp.  Cook till shrimp is done but still tender (Be sure not to heat too long or shirmp will over-cook and turn to rubber.).

Finish with a squirt of lemon or lime juice, stir, and add slices of hardboiled egg, making sure not to break them up too much while stirring.  

Serve individually over fluffly rice, sprinkle top with coconut, raisins and peanuts (must have condiments) and any combination of the other condiments too.  The fun of this curry recipe is the variety condiment toppings and the mix and match ingredients, the shrimp can be substituted with any seafood, fish, chicken, or turkey etc and you can add or subtract the veg as desired.  

Enjoy!