GreaseSpot Cafe

Adopting a dog from out-of-state

ChasUFarley

I am in the process of looking for a Pembroke Welsh Corgi for a family pet and to possibly get into therapy dog training, if the dog has a great temperment. It's been too long since I've had a dog and miss having one in the house. I have been working with many of the rescues in my area but have found that there is fierce competition for these dogs in this area. (I had no idea they were that popular - but then NH is one of the best states for trying to adopt out dogs.)

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience with out-of-state adoptions and shipping a dog? I'm a little nervous about it...

Thanks!

Search out some rescue groups who rescue this type of dog. I know that many breeds have rescue groups for animals that people don't want anymore (for whatever purpose). For example grayhounds - after they can no longer race, they are retrained to live in a home and adopted. They make great pets.

These groups have many ways to get dogs to their intended recipients. Sometimes, people are so committed to the purpose that they agree to drive the animal to his final destination (in stints of 200 or more miles).

NH is generally a socially responsible state so not only would it be a good place to adopt dogs out from shelters, but it is also a good place to train a service dog.

Go for it - and good luck.

Doxxie's had what they called a train. It was people who drove like 100 miles to the next person etc.

Peke rescue actually flew dogs to other locations - it was successful but do it before it gets to hot or they will not fly them.

These transports were very successful. It just shows how many people care.

I am sure if they have done it before it will okay.

I am glad you are getting a dog!

Before sealing any deals please make sure you check out the company/person you will be purchasing the dog from. Look up the company and/or person's name online and see what others may have posted about the business dealings they had in order to get their dog. Make sure you are not dealing with a puppy mill so you don't end up with a dog with a lot of health problems.

Keep in mind the picture you see online of a puppy may not be the exact puppy you will receive. Sadly some bad companies out there use the same pictures over and over, then send a puppy that is similar to the one in the picture, but not the same exact one. If you are wanting a full blood dog with papers, make sure they are able to register the puppy you are buying with the organization you prefer, there are quite a few out there these days and not all are recognized by good breeders and dog showers as having papers worth anything. Ask which one the puppy will have papers from and don't buy if it's not one you want.

I've never bought a dog this way. I just know these are things I have read in posts on ripoffreport.com from people who got ripped off when buying a dog from outside of the city/area they live in. That would be the first website I would recommend doing a search for names on in fact. Reading thru reports there can also help you know what to look for when buying so you don't end up with a bad deal and/or puppy as they did.

I hope you find the perfect pup and that you post a pic for all of us to see once you get him or her home with you. :)

Thanks for the advice.

Just to clarify - I'm not getting this thru a puppydotcom deal or anything of the sort, but thru a Welsh Corgi rescue league. Papers and all that are no matter to me at all, as I don't wish to get into breeding or showing. I'm also NOT a puppy person - I prefer adult dogs, mainly because they're easier to work with and aren't going through all those weird, wacky puppy stages. I've always been into rescue vs. buying a dog just because there's so many great dogs out there for adoption. However, I think the thing that is different about this time is that I have my heart set on a specific breed of dog.

That being said...

Let's hear it for those MAJOR PETS!! WHOO-HOO! :biglaugh:

HUA

Chas here is a link for a shelter that specializes in long distance adoptions. I got my dog there but drove up to pick him up as it is only two hours away. The lady that does the flights just had a write-up in their newsletter she had just reached some number in dog flights like a thousand or so. She keeps a picture of each dog on her wall at home where they stay the night before their flight to their new home.

Hi Chas,

Check out Petfinder.com and go to the breed rescue group, there should also be some transport links from there.

Also, you can check out AcmePetTransportation.com, they basically do the "train thing" the Dot mentioned but usually it is only for shelter moves. Someone there should be able to send you very helpful.

Radar

Chas, I have a Delta Society certified dog. There checklist is pretty thorough. If you would like I can find my list of things when they tested him?

ww

WW - Yes, or if they have a website - I'd like to know more.

HUA

Chas here is a link for a shelter that specializes in long distance adoptions. I got my dog there but drove up to pick him up as it is only two hours away. The lady that does the flights just had a write-up in their newsletter she had just reached some number in dog flights like a thousand or so. She keeps a picture of each dog on her wall at home where they stay the night before their flight to their new home.

I just checked them out - they don't have any Pembrokes right now but they do have some very nice dogs...

(psst - RADAR - they have a bunch of Pugs!)

Edited by ChasUFarley

Hi Chas,

Check out Petfinder.com and go to the breed rescue group, there should also be some transport links from there.

Also, you can check out AcmePetTransportation.com, they basically do the "train thing" the Dot mentioned but usually it is only for shelter moves. Someone there should be able to send you very helpful.

Radar

Radar,

I've found a rescue in TX that does out of state adoptions. It seems that the breed I'm interested in is part of the puppy mill chain and there's lots of rescues. I've completed an application and I think we're going have a home visit first. We are in the process of fencing in our yard and I'm hoping to have that completed before the visit.

0763195677.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Chas, I think the Texas rescue you found sounds wonderful. My advice to you was going to be: Don't adopt from a rescue that allows you to adopt a dog without checking you out. A good rescue will first make sure you are capable of taking care of a dog, and secondly match you with a dog that is best for you. I'm sure you know that even within the same breed, dogs differ in temperament, and if you're wanting, for example, an energetic dog, you wouldn't be happy with a dog who wants to lay on the couch all day.

But, like I said, it seems like you found a good rescue. I'm excited for you!

Vegan -

The organization in TX does all that - home inspection, etc. and they require a fenced in yard. We were planning to fence the yard this spring anyhow, because of the kids. We live in a school zone in our town - the speed limit is supposed to be 35mph - but it's rarely observed. (Yes, we've complained about it to police but they can't sit out 24/7 for speeders.) So, we're working on making things safer for everyone here. My feeling about this if we didn't have a good enviroment for the dog, then we wouldn't be good pet owners - it just wouldn't work for us or the dog (and the dog would get the short end of the stick!) I've submitted a reference from my vet and some personal refs with my application - I hope to hear from them soon.

I'm still looking locally, but I'm not so much into buying - I'd rather give the $$ to rescue.

Chas, most major airlines allow shipments of pets. I know that some breeders down here ship their dogs to other states for breeding and sales of puppies. My breeder uses Delta. Look up the section on "Pets Shipped as Air Cargo" - Delta has a reputation of taking very good care of pets being shipped and that's why the breeders trust their valuable family members with Delta.

Here's to getting that perfect four footed family member soon!

Belle - Thanks! That's good info you shared and I appreciate it. This is the first time I've ever looked for a specific breed of dog - usually pets find me. It's been an interesting process. I've learned that most breeders and rescue fanatics are... well.... a little eccentric. :biglaugh: Anyone else notice this?

I had one woman telling me her dog wouldn't work out in my house because the dog is "type A" and has to have a very set schedule. (I got a mind picture of a dog with a PDA... Gimme a break. It was all because I said my husband worked long hours in the school year and was home a lot in the summer - heck, I thought that was a bonus. I guess she thought the dog would have a problem with that!)