GreaseSpot Cafe

Full Moon

George, Dear ... Be careful. In TWI's Advanced Classes, they taught us that our personal experiences with spirit-stuff (ghosts or omens or things like that) were all just tricks of the Adversary. They said none of those experiences were valid, because that's what the Word says -- well, at least their version of the Word. Horse feathers !! If I experience something, then it's real. And if a whole bunch of people experience it, then it's really real. The Full Moon is like that. It's not the Adversary. It's not our imagination. And Science doesn't explain everything. Besides, we can't change what the Moon does or doesn't do. It's just fun to think about it. -Pat

O.K., I tried to let it go, but I can't.

If you're talking about subjective crap like perceiving Jesus' face in a tortilla, or a secret pact God almighty has made with you (over snowy gaspumps), I think maybe there's room for interpretation.

But we're not talking about subjective stuff. The types of things you're talking about, childbirths, murders, domestic disturbances, etc. can be AND ARE recorded and analyzed.

There have been literally HUNDREDS of studies done on the so-called "lunar effect". They have found NOTHING significant.

Claim - more childbirths during a full moon

Study result - FALSE, there is no increase in childbirths during a full moon.

Claim - more violent crime during a full moon.

Study result - FALSE, again, no statistics to back that up

Claim - more incidents of domestic violence during a full moon

Study result - FALSE, again, no statisticaly validation could be found.

I know I'm trying to sweep the sand from the beach when it comes to trying to dispel heartfelt superstitions, but at least you could look at the studies done and maybe try and refute some of the evidence from a logical point of view?... Maybe?

geo.

I have to say I'm with you, George, on this one. I was a nurse for many years and never understood the unshakeable belief many in the medical profession had for the effect of the full moon. Studies or no studies, it didn't matter. I finally gave up trying to talk about it. "Trying to sweep sand from the beach" - lol. It really doesn't bother me anymore though - doesn't seem that important. Unless, of course, someone starts trying to analyze my current mood according to the phase of the moon. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Sundowner's, however, is a different story. Lots of objective evidence on that one - and I've even seen it myself in patients. Objective AND subjective evidence. Gotta be real. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Sorry to be so flakey, George. My dad was an electrical engineer, Purdue graduate. I grew up having to be the balance in my family between:

-the total black-and-white, right-and-wrong, factual, scientific, zero imagination kind of thinking

and the

-unexplainable, never proven, more colorful, subjective, magical stuff. Obviously, this was my end of the see-saw.

Come on, George. There's no harm in theorizing about the Moon. I'm not starting a new church or anything like that. You make me miss my dad ... seriously. He was just about the nicest guy I ever knew. He was really smart and full of data and statistics. But he said he needed my craziness to keep him sane. Besides, the Moon is over now. -Pat.

• 2 weeks later...

Zixar ... I think the saying that the Moon is "made of green cheese" must have come from somebody who ate green cheese (moldy stuff? psychodelic effects?) and realized the similarity with the craziness brought on by the Moon. Well ... OK ... it's a little far-fetched, but the saying never made sense to me, so I had to come up with something. And, Zix, those cheeses you named aren't really green anyhow. -Pat

Just having fun, Pat... icon_smile.gif:)-->

You might want to do a web search on the post hoc, ergo, propter hoc logical fallacy. Loosely translated, it means "after the fact, therefore, because of it."

Most superstitious behavior stems from this fallacy. "If I cut my hand after breaking a mirror, then breaking a mirror brings bad luck." That sort of thing.

I have a guitar being built for me that has a spruce top from Switzerland. This supplier will only cut his selected trees under a full moon. After his set of incantations. By hand. Did I say he does it naked?

My luthiers buys spruce from him because of the excellent quality & the reasonable price.

Funny that in an era of greatly increased knowledge, superstitions are becoming pervasive...