GreaseSpot Cafe

Old weird recipes from the past

JavaJane

I just got a box of antique cookbooks shipped to me. I have had some for throwing parties from the 30s and 40s... seems like they wrapped everything in bacon back then to serve as an hors doerve...

Bacon wrapped:

peanut butter

water chestnuts - had this one, it's GOOD

mushrooms

olives - black and green

pickles

bleu cheese

yummy. ?

Anybody else have some weird old recipes?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else have some weird old recipes?

I don't know if its old but in Tijuana they wrap the hot dogs in bacon before cooking them.

Then they are placed on a slice of cheese in the bun and topped with diced Jalepenos, tomatoes, onions and dill relish, plus mustard or ketchup if you want it. Yum!

Edited to add this:

JJ, I have got to know...how in blazes do you wrap peanut butter with anything? and why in heavens name would you wrap it in bacon? (I still havent found a smiley guy that will shrug his shoulders for me...maybe cause they don't have shoulders)

Edited by Eyesopen

JJ, I have got to know...how in blazes do you wrap peanut butter with anything? and why in heavens name would you wrap it in bacon? (I still havent found a smiley guy that will shrug his shoulders for me...maybe cause they don't have shoulders)

I hear those little smiley guys are reallyl good wrapped in bacon - taste like chikcen! <_<

I hear those little smiley guys are reallyl good wrapped in bacon - taste like chikcen! <_<

MMMMMmmm....I love chicken. :biglaugh:

I think the recipe called for rolling the peanut butter into balls and then wrapping two strips of crossed bacon around it. Then you secure it with a toothpick and bake. I don't think this one is very practical... I think the peanut butter would probably melt through the cracks.

I never wanted to try that one, it sounds nasty.

But here's an interesting one for you:

Brunswick Stew from The Gourmet Cookbook Volume I (from Gourmet Magazine circa 1950)

Note: Wild squirrels abound everywhere, and their white flesh is tender and delicious. They can be cooked like a rabbit or chicken, and only a very old squirrel is tough enough to require marinating.

Cut 2 plump young squirrels into serving peices. Dredge in well-seasoned flour and brown the peices in fat with 6 onions, thinly sliced. Transfer the meat and onions to an earthenware casserole and add 3 cups of boiling water, 6 tomatoes peeled and sliced, 3 red peppers, chopped, and a generous pinch of thyme. Cover the casserole and let the stew simmer for one hour. Add 1 quart of lima beans, the kernels scraped from 6 ears of green corn, 1 quart of okra, 1 tablespoon chopped parsely, and 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce. Cover the casserole and simmer until the meat and vegetables are tender. Thicken the sauce slightly with equal parts flour and butter kneaded together in the casserole.

BEWARE, MR. HAMMERONI!!

I have heard that you can now catch mad cow disease from eating squirrel, so I wouldn't recommend trying this one out.

I also have recipes for bear, muskrat, woodchuck stew and creamed woodchuck. Unfortunately, no recipes for bacon wrapped woodchuck. Sorry, folks. Funny how squirrel was considered "gourmet" cooking in the 50s, although the recipe does sound yummy.

* edited because I don't know "this" from "that"

Edited by JavaJane

Bacon wrapped bacon. Bacon wrapped sausage. Bacon wrapped butter.... I found a recipe for bacon fritters!

You take the bacon and dip it in egg that has been beaten with a little worchestershire sauce.... then you dip that in breadcrumbs and fry it in butter.

Can you feel your arteries hardening while reading that paragraph? I bet it would be good dipped in a big old tub of SOUR CREAM and sprinkled with cheese!! MMMmmmmMmmmmMmmmmmm....

I had a novel breakfast item yesterday - sausage gravy made with bacon-sausage. Yes. They make sausage with bacon in it. I have proof... well, no I don't because I ate it. And it was good. Especially with the biscuits. Yummy Yummy in my Tummy.

MMMM! chicken------------Tastes a lot like rattlesnake!

But speaking of old recipes, what about hassenfeffer(sp?)?

It's an old German dish featuring rabbit and spaetzel.

I loved it as a kid.

Where would you even go to buy a cooking rabbit these days?

p.s. Use only "farm" rabbit as wild rabbit tastes like-------------!

Found your recipe in the same book, Waysider. It was right before the Brunswick Stew recipe. Says you can substitute muskrat for the rabbit... (like that will be easier to find) But it doesn't have the spaetzel in it.

Hasenpfeffer

Cut a large dressed hare or jack rabbit into serving peices. Let the peices stand for 24 to 28 hours in a cool place, well covered with a marinade of 2 cups vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 cup claret, 2 large onions, sliced, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon mustard seed, 1 teaspoon crushed juniper berries, 8 whole cloves, and 6 bay leaves. Turn the meat every 12 hours.

Wipe the marinated meat dry, lightly dredge in a little flour and saute in 1/3 cup fat until well browned on all sides. Drain off the fat. Strain the marinade, dilute it with 1/2 cup hot water, adding 1 tablespoon sugar, if desired, and pour it over the meat. Bring it to a boil, cover the pot tightly, and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until the meat is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange the meat on a heated platter and pour over it the gravy, strained and thickened with a little flour if necessary. There should be an ample quantity of gravy. Serve with potato dumplings.

NOTE: The fur-coat-bearing muskrat lives on water plants, and this diet produces succulent meat that can be prepared in any of the ways suggested for hare and rabbit. The meat is usually cut up and soaked overnight in salted water before cooking.

Just in case you had caught yourself a muskrat and were wondering what to do with it.

Too bad there's no recipe for groundhog in here... I have a monster sized one living under my porch right now. Lots of meat on him!

You take the bacon and dip it in egg that has been beaten with a little worchestershire sauce.... then you dip that in breadcrumbs and fry it in butter dipped in a big old tub of SOUR CREAM and sprinkled with cheese!! MMMmmmmMmmmmMmmmmmm....

I'll have the above with eggs, sausage and SPAM!

But speaking of old recipes, what about hassenfeffer(sp?)?

It's an old German dish featuring rabbit and spaetzel.

I loved it as a kid.

Where would you even go to buy a cooking rabbit these days?

p.s. Use only "farm" rabbit as wild rabbit tastes like-------------!

So glad you mentioned this as I love the stuff! We have two butchers here that carry anything you can imagine to eat in the way of meat and several that you had never thought of before. They have rabbit, both kinds, farm bred and Jack rabbit. They also have Moose, Elk, Venison, Rattlesnake, Shark, Squid, Octopus...the list is very long. If they don't have it just request it and they will find it.

JJ thanks for the hasenpfeffer recipe!

Now the squirrel one...naw I think I'll just substitute chicken. In honor of Mr. Ham.

Edited by Eyesopen

I don't know if its old but in Tijuana they wrap the hot dogs in bacon before cooking them.

Then they are placed on a slice of cheese in the bun and topped with diced Jalepenos, tomatoes, onions and dill relish, plus mustard or ketchup if you want it. Yum!

Edited to add this:

Bacon wrapped water chestnuts, soaked in tamari sauce, and then gently saute'd ---- ROCK!

p.s.

My x was from AL and had grown up eating squirrel - liked it roasted on the bbq.... i couldn't go there... my parents were humane agents and we had raised squirrels as PETS!

From an old recipe box:

Red Raspberry Ribbon Pie

1 3 oz pkg red rasp jello

1/4 c sugar

1 1/4 c boiling h2o

1 10 oz pkg frozen red raspberries

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 3 oz pkg cream cheese softened

1/3 c sifted confectioners sugar

1 tsp vanilla

dash salt

1 c whipping cream (whipped)

1 baked 9 inch pastry shell or graham cracker crust

Red layer:

Dissolve gelatin and granulated sugar in boiling water. Add frozen berries and lemon juice. Stir until berries thaw. Chll until partially set.

White layer:

Meanwhile, blend cheese, confectioner's sugar, vanilla and salt. Fold in a small amount of whipped cream, then fold in the rest.

To assemble:

1. Spread 1/2 white cheese mixture in pastry shell.

2. Cover with 1/2 red gelatin mixture

3. Repeat and chill until completely set.

Then wrap it in bacon and feed it to the squirrels :biglaugh: hahaha!!

Edited by JavaJane

Being a Southern Gal, one of my favorite cookbooks is "The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-@ss Cookbook and Financial Planner"

Jill Conner Browne, breaks up her favorite foods into four areas: salty, sweet, fried and cheese.

Here's a recipe that fits here, I think:

Pig Candy Recipe Short version

Bacon (several strips)

Brown Sugar (enough to coat strips of bacon)

Directions

1. Coat uncooked bacon in some dark brown sugar.

2. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Recipe from The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-@ss Cookbook and Financial Planner, by Jill Conner Browne copyright Copyright 2003, Three Rivers Press publishing.

Pig Candy recipe alternate version

You start with bacon - and don't y'all just know how I purely love a recipe that starts with bacon. The fat is the whole point of the bacon. If you're interested in the red part, get a ham or something. I mean, really.

So anyway, you start with bacon, and the only other ingredient is brown sugar - and do I really need to say the dark brown kind? You just roll the bacon in the dark brown sugar and then you bake it (at 350 F. for about 20 minutes or so, depending on your oven and also how you like your bacon - put it on a rack on a cookie sheet, and you don't even have to turn it over!) - and voy-ola! Pig Candy!

You start with bacon - and don't y'all just know how I purely love a recipe that starts with bacon. The fat is the whole point of the bacon. If you're interested in the red part, get a ham or something. I mean, really.

So anyway, you start with bacon, and the only other ingredient is brown sugar - and do I really need to say the dark brown kind? You just roll the bacon in the dark brown sugar and then you bake it (at 350 F. for about 20 minutes or so, depending on your oven and also how you like your bacon - put it on a rack on a cookie sheet, and you don't even have to turn it over!) - and voy-ola! Pig Candy![/color]

Yummm....I can hear my arteries hardening and feel the fat growing on my hips! Hmmmmm good!

Hey JJ or Belle

Anyone got a recipe for really good Hush Puppies?

I really miss those darn things...there are several things that I really liked about the south when I was there and having Hush Puppies readily available is one of them.

Please.... :D

Eyes, lemme ask Mama. Her mother made THE BEST hush puppies I've ever had. Maybe she didn't take her recipe to the grave with her.

Ooohh...my toes are tingling...really no joke!

Thank you Belle!

JavaJane,

What a great collection of recipes you have.

Keep posting them.

Thanks! I collect old cookbooks. I have so many of them that most are in storage until hubby and I decide where we are going to put down roots for real.

Here's another one from the old recipe box:

Fettucine and Olive Sauce - think I'm going to try this one very very soon....

12 oz noodles

1/4 c olive oil

2 garlic cloves

6 oz pitted black olives and 6 oz pimento green olives, both chopped

1 sm bunch parsely chopped

1 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp red pepper

1/2 c parmesan

Prepare noodles, drain and keep warm. Heat oil, add garlic, cook until brown. Stir in olives, parsely, oregano, red pepper, and 1/2 c water. Over high heat, heat until boiling, stirring occassionaly. stir olive mixture into noodles, add parmesan. Toss until mixed.