GreaseSpot Cafe

Sandwiches

Outfield

So, I've been trying to be the good wife and cook a little more. I'm still not the best cook but practice makes perfect.

I came across this website of "unique" sandwiches. Some sounded very interesting and things I would never try but now want

to let my taste buds explore.

http://ask.metafilter.com/52160/Sandwichs

Does anyone have a sandwich that they consider a comfort food or just plain great?

All of mine are pretty basic:

1. Fried eggs, bacon, cheese, mayo, mustard

2. Tomato slices, cheese, mayo ( still love this one!)

3. Grilled cheese with tomato soup

4. Turkey, bacon, avacodo

I guess I'm not that adventurous.

However about a year ago I heard about the

5. Potato chip sandwich --

potato chips between two slices of mayonaised bread -- oh yeah it's good!

Edited by Outfield

One of my favorite sandwiches is so versatile..

1 Focaacia bread, split into horizontaly (they come in different flavors)

remove thin layer on both..

layer, salami, swiss cheese, spinach or leafy green, thin tomatoe, purple onion, Italian dressing/or spicey mustard, fresh herbs...

cut into wedges.

This was my grandma's favorite and I have great "home" memories with this sandwich -- there's really nothing to it.

Leftover chicken or turkey

2 slices of bread

Butter each bread slice

Add ALOT of crushed pepper

Place meat on bread (maybe add more pepper)

Eat! It's always been a southern home staple with leftovers. (Served with tomato slices on the side)

Oh my -- these look delicious too -- I LOVE avocados!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sandwich/Av...oTomatoMelt.htm

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Appetizers/...adoCrostini.htm

Edited by Outfield

Here's a classic Reuben:

Two slices of rye bread (HAS to have caraway seeds in it)

Corned beef or pastrami, shaved

Swiss Cheese

Sauerkraut

Thousand Island dressing (optional)

Brown mustard (Gulden's preferred, NOT optional :biglaugh: )

Assemble, making sure there is meat on bottom, cheese on top.

Heat up frying pan to point where water will dance when sprinkled on surface

Add one or two pats of butter

Add sandwich and cook like a grilled cheese sammmich (putting a lid on the frying pan will facilitate this, just be careful when taking lid off)

It is to be hoped your taste buds won't totally freak out over this VERY northern taste treat (think Noo Yawk).

While it is very good (note, I did NOT say healthy :biglaugh: ) should probably be enjoyed only once in a while.

Edited by Sushi

Good whole-grained bread, or oat bran, lightly toasted

mayo (Hellman's, lots)

avacado

alfalfa sprouts (must contact the mayo!}

bacon

tomato

s & p (salt must contact the avacado!)

A man in view of absolute goodness in a sandwich, adores, with total humility

Edited by anotherDan

Here's a classic Reuben:

Swiss Cheese

Sauerkraut

Add sandwich and cook like a grilled cheese sammmich (putting a lid on the frying pan will facilitate this, just be careful when taking lid off)

It is to be hoped your taste buds won't totally freak out over this VERY northern taste treat (think Noo Yawk).

While it is very good (note, I did NOT say healthy :biglaugh: ) should probably be enjoyed only once in a while.

This will be supper at our house today! I've been looking for a good Reuben sandwich recipe! Thanks! Those other sandwich recipes sound good too. I've got a renewed interest in sandwiches now. Hmmm, I wonder if a soup recipe section is in our future... :biglaugh:

The 10-year-old princess prepared today's supper - oh man, those were awesome Reuben sandwiches!!!

I even sprung for the Gulden's brown mustard - decided I'd better not use the storebrand stuff that I don't know HOW old it is...

Delightful recipe - thanks, Sushi!!!

The 10-year-old princess prepared today's supper - oh man, those were awesome Reuben sandwiches!!!

I even sprung for the Gulden's brown mustard - decided I'd better not use the storebrand stuff that I don't know HOW old it is...

Delightful recipe - thanks, Sushi!!!

No problem, Box. That yellow carp they call mustard isn't worthy to be fed to your worst enemy.

Another grilled sandwich for those of you who are fearless of cholesterol problems is the California Pattymelt. You can alter the contents to your liking, but I think the traditional pattymelt goes like this:

Saute some onions

Butter good seeded rye and put butter-side-down in hot skillet or on griddle.

Put cheese on one or both slices to get it melting

Add a grilled or fried juicy hamburger on one slice. Oval is nice to fit the bread.

Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste when cooking the hamburger.

Put the onions on, and close the sandwich after the bread is golden-toasted, like a grilled cheese sandwich which it is.

Excellent with home-made tomato soup!

Eat good food the rest of the week.

Bow,

Naw.. no recipe but I thought you may be interested in knowing that Campbell's Tomato Bisque soup is superb!! Only make it with a can of whole milk (or preferably half & Half) instead of water. Its almost twice the cost of Campbell's plain tomato soup but is well worth the price.

I HAVE had a little difficulty getting it at times but I'm chalking that up to the lousy Kroger's that we normally shop at because its nearby.

Its winter comfort food. When the wind is howling or when there's snow on the ground... you make up some tomato bisque soup and serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches. Make sure the heat isn't up too high for the grilled cheese sandwiches and that you keep them covered in the skillet (or on the griddle) to make sure the cheese completely melts.

sudo

OK, bow, but just for you!

It's kind of embarrasing, really, because it's not made from home-grown tomatoes as you might think. It's made from Hunt's Tomato Sauce! But it's really good. I was raised on Campbell's tomato soup, and really liked it, but after having this for a couple of years, if I go back to Campbell's, there's no comparison. It's a killer warmer-upper out of a thermos on a cold day in the field, and great with grilled cheese sandwiches.

Make a roux by melting about 2 tbsp of butter and adding 2 tbsp flour in a saucepan. Keep stirring with a whisk over medium heat until the flour just begins to brown. Add a large 28 oz. can of Hunt's Tomato Sauce, then fill the empty can 3/4 full of milk and 1/4 full of water, and add to soup. Add maybe 1 tsp of Better Than Bullion, Beef. IT'S NO GOOD WITHOUT THIS STUFF. Better than Bullion is kind of expensive, but goes a long way, and it's so superior to any other kind of bullion (like cubes or powder) that it's the only thing we'll buy. It's like a paste in a jar. Comes in chicken, too, which is very good. There is a brand which is almost as good called Minor's Beef Base. You can make chicken or beef gravy with either of these in a pinch, and it's very good. Finally, add a pinch of oregano. Just a little. Warm through; do not boil.

I'm gonna go make some now!

edit: I just saw Sudo's post... I didn't see it before I started composing this... had to call Liz for the recipe... I've never tried the bisque! Thanks for the tip, Sudo!

OK, I just made it (it's still warming) Took me 5 minutes. I timed it. I like just a tiny pinch of oregano, and nearly a whole tsp of dried parsley, and a dose of black pepper. We serve it in mugs instead of bowls.

Edited by anotherDan

Home made tomato soup? Anyone have a recipe for that?

Your grilled patty melt sounds divine, by the way!

I'll get you a recipe real soon dear! ;)

*Dooj goes and gets her trusty copy of The Joy of Cooking...Hmmmm..page 185...There it is...*

Cream of Tomato Soup

Simmer covered about 15 min:

2 cups canned or seeded skinned, cut up fresh tomatoes

1/2 cup chopped celery

1/4 cup chopped onion

2 tsp white or brown sugar

Prepare:

4 cups White Sauce:

12 TBS butter

12 TBS flour

4 cups liquid (if you want a light soup use vegetable or chicken broth, for a heavier soup use milk)

Strain into this the tomato and vegetable stock

Season to taste

Note: I would automatically without even trying this recipe, add garlic and basil to the beginning stock (the tomato, celery and onion mixture)

Edited by doojable

Oh, you guys are so good!!! You too, Queen Dooj! LOL Thankyou thankyou thankyou very much!!!

I've taught both my kids the value of properly browned, not burned grilled cheese to go with Campbell's cream of tomato soup and that's one of the highlights of the fall and winter, for sure! I'll try both those ideas and soon, no doubt!

Truly comfort food!!! Mm mmm good!!! :biglaugh:

Here's a classic Reuben:

Swiss Cheese

Sauerkraut

Sushi, honey, do we need a snooty pan?

Dunno What It's Called But It's GOOD Sandwiches!

1 red pepper

1/2 lb of shaved pastrami

2 slices of provolone cheese

3 tbsp Italian salad dressing

4 pcs of rye, pumpernickle (my fav), or other artisan bread

Slice red pepper thin and saute in Italian salad dressing until cooked, remove from pan.

Warm meat in pan.

Place meat on bread and top with the cooked red pepper and a slice of provolone.

Place second slice of bread on top.

Wrap in foil.

Warm in oven - 325 degrees for 20 min usually does the trick.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's two good winter sandwiches, very warm and filling.

The first one may sound wierd if you've never tried it, but it's basically a stuffed french toast sandwhich with savory ingredients, and surprisingly enough, it's real good with the strawberry jam dipping sauce.

Monte Cristo sandwich

Ingredients:

2 slices bread

mustard/dijon to taste

3 thin slices deli ham

3 thin slices turkey

1 slice gruyere or swiss cheese

1 egg

1 tablespoon milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon butter

1 teaspoon powdered sugar

1 tablespoon strawberry jam

Directions:

1. Spread mustard on a slice of bread and construct the sandwich with the ham and cheese.

2. Mix the egg, milk, and vanilla in a shallow bowl or container.

3. Dip the whole sandwich into the egg mixture and cover both sides with it shaking off excess.

4. Melt the butter in a pan.

5. Fry both sides of the sandwich in the pan until golden brown and the cheese has melted.

6. Sprinkle a heavy layer of powdered sugar onto the sandwich.

7. Serve with strawberry jam for dipping

This is a classic french recipe, it really hits the spot on a cloudy rainy day.

Croque Monsieur

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 cups hot milk

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Pinch nutmeg

12 ounces Gruyere, grated (5 cups)

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan

16 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed

Dijon mustard

8 ounces baked Virginia ham, sliced but not paper thin

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the hot milk into the butter–flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Off the heat add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup grated Gruyere, and the Parmesan and set aside.

To toast the bread, place the slices on 2 baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes. Turn each slice and bake for another 2 minutes, until toasted.

Lightly brush half the toasted breads with mustard, add a slice of ham to each, and sprinkle with half the remaining Gruyere. Top with another piece of toasted bread. Slather the tops with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere, and bake the sandwiches for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and lightly browned.  You can add bacon to this, shredded parmesan cheese, herbs, sliced turkey or chicken, or add a fried egg and you'll have a croque Madam.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know where to put this so it landed here.

We ate breakfast out the other day and I had a breakfast burrito. It was so good!

It consisted of a tortilla heated in a dallop of butter (I could taste it and tortilla was a little brown) , scrambled egg, hash browns (fried potatos) and melted cheese. This was served with salsa and sour cream. Two things I wouldn't think to eat eggs with but it was Yum-O! I'm going to try to make one of these on my own.

While on the subject -- hubby loves fried egg sandwiches. I thought these were pretty common but a friend of his had never heard of it and thought it wierd.

Fry egg

bacon (optional)

cheese (melt on egg)

toasted bread

mayo

mustard

another Yum-O!

Here's another from my adventures out in restaurant land.

Portabello and Red Pepper Cuban

Easy as it sounds and good!

BIG portabello mushroom

BIG red pepper (cooked in one slice or more -- NOT chopped)

melted white cheese (probably provalone)

cuban bread (sub roll)

Cook / toast everything and serve with pesto mayo. (Mayo mixed with pesto).