GreaseSpot Cafe

JEFF BLACKBURN/JOHN LYNN...IS THE CRISIS OVER?

Yes, there is always peace friend..

why did they "get rid of" teenage staff?

I mean.. aren't they da Word incarnate to da next generation?

scary thoughts..

so the next generation is found to be out fending for themselves..

just a few questions..

thank you very much for your contribution here..

Tsk, tsk....get your facts straight, Trust. STFI/CES hasn't "gotten rid" of anyone. They did lay off two part-time employees (both teens), and three other young full-timers left for various reasons (school, life, etc). They most certainly did not "get rid" of Jeff Blackburn...

Thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding of Blackburn's departure..

My "gotten rid" statement in no ways meant they had a falling out, but like most corporations that get rid of employees they no longer have on staff.. It is a common phrase used for laying people off.

Sad, really.. You start putting your dependency in anything and next think you know .. yank.. You're out.. We can't afford you. Heck, many jobs are like that. Just sad..

With STFI, it's probably because they don't have the $53mil TWI has.. But then again, it's for their best. and with the 4 leaving voluntarily, you'd think they wouldn't need to lay anyone off..

Yeah, just sad.

Tsk, tsk....get your facts straight, Trust. STFI/CES hasn't "gotten rid" of anyone. They did lay off two part-time employees (both teens), and three other young full-timers left for various reasons (school, life, etc). They most certainly did not "get rid" of Jeff Blackburn, and he did not leave for financial reasons (i.e.: because STF couldn't afford to pay him), or out of anger, etc, toward STF "Leadership." However, his reasons are his business, so I will say no more about it here. I will say that we had lunch the other day and were laughing as we imagined some of the idiotic stuff that would probably be said here as a result of his departure. Ironic, no?

Finally, there are no further layoffs on the way. However, if you have PROOF as to the contrary, please do present it. Otherwise, stick to the facts.

PEACE,

~BD

If I remember correctly, Jeff used to post here in defense of everything CES/STFI. It was natural that Greasespotters would think that he would be open to questions/dialog as to what happens with that group. Now, they submit a notice that is very generic about his departure---

"That brings us to the departure of our Home Office manager, Jeff Blackburn. Much of the competence and effectiveness of Spirit & Truth Fellowship Home Office procedures and systems is directly related to the wonderful efforts of Jeff over the last ten years. All who have been associated with this ministry during that time owe a debt of gratitude to Jeff for a job well done. Jeff and his wife Michele will be moving to the state of Rhode Island before Christmas."

That is the typical corporate explanation---a non-explanation or reasonings as in a corporate statement "mistakes were made" which really says nothing about WHO, WHAT, or WHY. They certainly were not that cryptic when it came to releasing Mark G or John L. In fact, they were very open and detailed about them. If Jeff was so amazingly "competent and effective" with "wonderful efforts for a job well done and owing a debt of gratitude," then why not give an explanation of transparency? And why would Jeff, who was so strong in his desire to always defend STFI here on Greasespot, now take an opposite position and let the assumptions land where they may?

They always state, "Truth Matters" but when people ask for plain truth, then the askers are made to appear foolish if they even question anything, seen in the above statement: "---we had lunch the other day and were laughing as we imagined some of the idiotic stuff that would probably be said here as a result of his departure. Ironic, no?"

It is the same MO as TWI always used---take actions, explain nothing, let people stew in their own possibility assumptions. At this stage of "Truth Matters", it is just cowardly.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what other plans JB had for STFI other than he wanted JAL gone and MG gone. That happened. I don't know if he moved down to Martinsville when the home office did, but the drive from where he lived to Martinsville would have been brutal. That would have been enough for me to consider other options.He doesn't strike me as being a staying with a sinking ship sort of guy, even if all this was according to his plan. I think he wagered that JAL's exit and MG's exit would somehow ignite the organization into relevance, and when that didn't happen, he chose to move away rather than watch it sink further into oblivion.

On the other hand, he might have simply deferred to his wife's wishes to go back home and be normal.

I don't know what other plans JB had for STFI other than he wanted JAL gone and MG gone.

I never knew JB enough to know... Did he have that much influence on the whole organization? I mean, he wasn't part of the prophetic council or anything I don't recall.. Maybe he felt left out!

But then again, I think many have/had high hopes for the ministry. I mean, how many ministries have their own Bible translation, sure some cults. Oh wait, is that was STFI is? lol.. I mean, really, do we need another ASV/RSV spin off that tells us about another MOGFODAT. Yes, I know it doesn't add that, but it really doesn't change much either.

JB preferred to work in the "background" as did I (no one ever heard of me outside the home office). He was never part of the "prophetic council" and he didn't claim prophetic abilities, but he was very much involved in getting EL demonized because he did not like her. He was really ticked off because the J's and M would talk to me whenever I called or came by. He thought I had too much influence, and he didn't like that.

I think it's the height of arrogance to claim that one has the one correct translation, when it's really nothing more than a rewrite to support one's own doctrine. At least they admit that (in so many words).

yeah S&TFI and Christian Research and Fellowship are both separately working on new translations to include Figores of Speech and Orientalisms within the translation(s) instead of being footnotes.

and what I wonder..

why do they think the rest of "Christendom" is so helpless?

I mean.. they've expounded for if not decades, centuries on the said topics.

maybe they don't want any subtleties left in translation..

ah! that's it. they want us to think what THEY think about the bible..

ah! that's it. they want us to think what THEY think about the bible..

And not only do they want us to think what they think.. They want us to think what they think is 100% accurate instead of something they have arrived at over time with changes along the way.. And of course they want us to NOT think any further..

Not only have they NOT figured anything new out. Everything they have arrived at, since they are still selling TWI wares, tells me they haven't really gone far in their journey, at least not in a positive Christian perspective. They have gone far in the opposing direction.. With such things as we now have an imperfect God and Christ that makes mistakes, and personal prophecies that come out of.. a nose maybe?!

I can remember (vaguely) how the JW's were put down because they tweaked the KJV to fit their doctrine - of course the KJV was tweaked to fit trinitarian doctrine - and so on (ad nauseam).

My point is that it drove me crazy to be a literalist. The book practically demands a rewrite if one wants to remain one.

• 7 months later...

Sooo. What happened to the crisis here? Has it been quietly (as possible) resoundedly struck over the head with a shovel, and buried?

:biglaugh:

any official pronouncements?

and more importantly.. are hard working people STILL sending a significant portion of their income to this outfit?

I looked at the first post.. it has been almost.. FOUR YEARS. Any questions answered yet?

Maybe they are still working on it..

so much for transparency..

• 1 month later...

From fruit of d'vine:

please PRAY that God can bring us some wealthy people who will be thrilled to use their money to make known the Truth of God’s Word.

You have got to be kidding me.

It appears that the "crisis" is not over yet..

Edited by Ham

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can remember (vaguely) how the JW's were put down because they tweaked the KJV to fit their doctrine - of course the KJV was tweaked to fit trinitarian doctrine - and so on (ad nauseam).

My point is that it drove me crazy to be a literalist. The book practically demands a rewrite if one wants to remain one.

KJV is not the best translation knowing they added a few words and some of the way they translated it seems to be wrong. but it still does not change anything doctrinally as most Trinitarian apologetics do not rely only the common joe uses those verses. In the debates I have heard/watched they don't use those references on those passages altered in the KJV. It is odd how most cults will ONLY use the KJV. ESV is my preferred translation but to be literal learn Koine Greek... I have learned many Greek concepts and ideas do not translate well into English as even the usage of the words have changed. If only these groups learned it on their own it would not be an issue...

I wonder, what is the current state of the crisis? Anybody get newsletters or anything?

Main website is seriously out of date. It's March and no first quarter magazine. "Network" newsletter - none since last May.

No BOD annual meeting minutes for this year.

Biblical Unitarian site - new design

Truth or Tradition site - same one I did in 2002-2003

Tzaia; they do seem to be getting quite stale...focusing mostly on audio and video teachings done in their studio. Teachings are same old, same old...nothing new or timely. No getting out amongst the people; electronic media is quite sterile and hands off if that is the only way you 'connect'. How many people can you reach talking about why you have tattoos, or questions asked by toddlers? No sharing about victory in believers' lives. Y-A-W-N...

I hear that JAL and now STF are sending email alerts for 'live' teachings from their living rooms.