GreaseSpot Cafe

Mapping Software

Belle

Does anyone use a mapping software program that they would recommend?

I need to plot our locations, the competitor's locations as well as clients, pipelines, etc. with options to show the layers together and individually - various growth stages.... all kinds of fun stuff.

I've used Business Map but haven't been all that thrilled with it.

Thanks!

All I know is a decent graphics programs will let you do layers, and you can fade the layers in and out with varying levels of opacity.

So you could map your locations, then make a new layer for each competitor, or each stage of growth.

But if you want something that presents them for something like a meeting, I guess you'd be talking powerpoint maybe. In other words ... I don't know. :)

Edited by rhino

Does anyone use a mapping software program that they would recommend?

I need to plot our locations, the competitor's locations as well as clients, pipelines, etc. with options to show the layers together and individually - various growth stages.... all kinds of fun stuff.

I've used Business Map but haven't been all that thrilled with it.

Thanks!

The undisputed Cadillac is Arc-Info from ESRI Corp. Plainly put nothing comes close. Don't be put off by the jargon of the GIS business - it is designed for applications like you are talking about. The CEO is a bit of a dork but he sure put together a good product and it is the gold standard around the world.

hubby says use google maps and you can save and make you own and link to web pages with layers of different maps and add them together

I strenuously disagree. While Google maps is very powerful it requires a knowledge of KML to make it extensible. We work both with Google and ESRI in my business. Because we have programmers with geo-coding knowledge we can make it look good. But Belle's line of work would be far more amply suited using Arc-Info.

Not to "dis" your husband at all - just don't want Belle to have to go through the learning curve of KML.

Thanks, y'all!

WashingtonWeather, I love Google Maps! I use it all the time! I am looking to see if I can upload various spreadsheets of addresses and have them mapped and layered, but I'm not finding that option on Google Maps.

RumRunner, checking out ESRI - I wish they had told me about this BEFORE month & quarter end reports were due in addition to top level management meetings. :rolleyes:

Oh well..... job security and I'm on salary so I get paid to get the job done, I guess.... :unsure:

The Cartography section of our office uses ESRI maps. I believe they are the leader in the industry for providing GIS. We are happy with their product, but it is not cheap.

You might check with your county website to see if they have GIS mapping available on their website too. Sometimes those maps are a little more detailed than Google.