GreaseSpot Cafe

Personal victory

rascal

I wanted to share with you my fun. The accomplishment of a life long dream :)

I have long admired practitioners of martial arts....admired their skill, their courage, their sense of calm in dangerous situations.

Six years ago this month, I began a journey. I started towards a goal that at the time seemed impossible to attain. I just resolved to do my very best anyway.

Everyone insisted that I was nuts to attempt to begin karate at 41 years of age.

In addition to being seriously asthmatic....I was seriously over weight and out of shape, due to being constantly pregnant for the last nearly 14 years...lol

I can remember the skepticism as the sensei looked at me that day. I could see it in his eyes that he figured I`d last a month tops...lol

Today, I proudly anounce that I recieved my promotion to black belt.

To make this event even more memorable, it was presented to me by the president of our karate federation, at the end of a grueling class where I was preparing for my final exam in 2 weeks.

He had been allowing me to participate in his black belt classes as a brown belt.

Not that it has been easy, I had a brain fart and failed my exam last spring much to my mortification, and shame.

It was a crushing embarrassment...I mean we returned to our families who had a congratulations black belt party complete with cake, dinner and party favors....

To go to the school and admit to my class mates that I had failed was unbearable....

I was congratulated on shaking it off, on continuing in spite of the crushing dissapointment. That black belt was something that you were in side...not just physical skill.

Whew, it was worth the wait to receive this honor at the hands and recognition of our president and in front of so many high ranking black belts.

I swing from worrying about if this is some sort of fantastic dream that I am going to wake up from, to giddiness over the reality of achieving a long cherished goal.

All I can say is that is never to late to start on a dream. Thanks for letting me share my fun :)

Cathy

I have long admired practitioners of martial arts....admired their skill, their courage, their sense of calm in dangerous situations.

snip

Today, I proudly announce that I recieved my promotion to black belt.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Congratulations! What a wonderful achievement. I'm glad you shared it with us. :wave:

Whew, it was worth the wait to receive this honor at the hands and recognition of our president and in front of so many high ranking black belts.

I swing from worrying about if this is some sort of fantastic dream that I am going to wake up from, to giddiness over the reality of achieving a long cherished goal.

All I can say is that is never to late to start on a dream. Thanks for letting me share my fun :)

Cathy

Rascal, you are one "bad" mama! Remind me never to make you mad. (jk)

Congratulations! What a great accomplishment!

What a wonderful accomplishment!!! That is REALLY REALLY somthing to be proud of!!!! It takes a very special motivated person to reach that level.

Congratulations!!!!

(this is comming from a parent who SAT and watched while her son and daughter spent 10 years in martial arts!! I shoulda/coulda been out there!!)

I saw people take that BB test..... (test..throw up...go out there and do some more....)

ITs HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Imagining Rascal at her graduation ceramony)

Master Po: "Take the pebble from my hand."

Rascal, her hand moving with blinding speed, snatches the pebble from Master Po's hand before his mind can even begin to send a signal down to his hand to close it. **W-H-I-I-I-S-S-H-H**

Master Po bows: "You are now a Jedi Master, Rascal-wan."

((Ok! Ok! So I'm mixing character plots from Kung Fu and Star Wars. Ehh! :spy: ))

Corn-gratulations on your big achievement. ... Now you can get Mark to do more of the housework, and you know he's gonna do it. ;) :evilshades:

WHOOOO-AAAAAaaaahhhhhh!! karate.gif

Edited by GarthP2000

Congratulations, Rascal!

Your perseverance reminds me of this classic line:

"Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later

[makes squish gesture]

get squish just like grape. Here, karate, same thing. Either you karate do "yes" or karate do "no." You karate do "guess so,"

[makes squish gesture]

just like grape. Understand?"

Well done!

George