GreaseSpot Cafe

familiar names

satori001

:offtopic:

Satori,

I've been reading a book called "The Power of Now" (A guide to spiritual enlightenment) by Eckhart Tolle and the author uses the word "Satori".............I'm curious, is that where you came up with the name?

By the way anybody who reads this..........in my opinion what a great book, definitely worth reading!!!

Cowgirl

The Power of Now was first published in 1999. I read it and recommended it here soon afterward, but that thread has apparently been deleted. Several others have recommended it since, the earliest in 2003 based on a quick search.

I've used "satori" since the Waydale days, and been aware of the word and its meaning since college. It was probably in something published by DT Suzuki, Thaddeus Golas, Ram Das, Werner Erhard, Robert Pirsig, Alan Watts, Eugen Herrigel or any of many others.

I can't say I ever understood any of it. I was more like a moth bouncing off the street light, again and again, attracted by light within but deflected by something both invisible and utterly impenetrable. This was more a hobby than an obsession. That is either fortunate or unfortunate. God only knows.

Here is Thaddeus in his own words: