GreaseSpot Cafe

Name That Author

Grace,

I think that WW was gently trying to suggest that this is not a general trivia thread.

Each of the game threads has a particular theme.  The "Name that..." threads involve giving movie lines, song lyrics, or, in this case, quotes from books.  The person who (first) responds with the correct answer gets to give the next clue.  If no one gets the answer, the clue-giver may supply more lines, lyrics, or quotes, until the answer is given.  (Or, occasionally, no one gets it.  Then the clue-giver may reveal the answer and go again, or offer a "Free Post," where anyone may start as clue-giver.}

There are a few things considered faux pas in these threads:

1. Jumping in out of turn.  You may have a song lyric that you REALLY want to give as a clue.  Still, you have to wait until either you correctly guess the current clue or until a "Free Post" is given.
  2. Googling the answer.  This is not a test of your internet search skills.  Exception:  if no answer or further clues are given after a few days, you may google the answer to keep the thread moving.  This is particularly true of "Triple Movie Links" game.  Still, it's preferable to hit the clue-giver up for more clues, first.
  3. Answering the clue, but being unwilling to give clues of your own.  It's fine to decree "Free Post" occasionally.  We have, in the past, however, had players who would repeatedly answer others' clues but refuse to post any of their own.

It is usually good to wait for acknowledgment from the clue-giver that your answer is correct, but it is not essential.  This is especially true of Triple Movie Links," where no one waits for acknowledgment.  In general, if you're wrong, someone will let you know pretty quickly.

You might want to take a look at the "How to Play the Game Threads" thread, pinned to the beginning of the forum.

Perhaps you'd like to start a thread of your own.  You can make the rules as you see fit.  If you don't know how to start a thread, I'm sure that Raf would be happy to set one up for you.

George

2 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Grace,

I think that WW was gently trying to suggest that this is not a general trivia thread.

Each of the game threads has a particular theme.  The "Name that..." threads involve giving movie lines, song lyrics, or, in this case, quotes from books.  The person who (first) responds with the correct answer gets to give the next clue.  If no one gets the answer, the clue-giver may supply more lines, lyrics, or quotes, until the answer is given.  (Or, occasionally, no one gets it.  Then the clue-giver may reveal the answer and go again, or offer a "Free Post," where anyone may start as clue-giver.}

There are a few things considered faux pas in these threads:

1. Jumping in out of turn.  You may have a song lyric that you REALLY want to give as a clue.  Still, you have to wait until either you correctly guess the current clue or until a "Free Post" is given.
  2. Googling the answer.  This is not a test of your internet search skills.  Exception:  if no answer or further clues are given after a few days, you may google the answer to keep the thread moving.  This is particularly true of "Triple Movie Links" game.  Still, it's preferable to hit the clue-giver up for more clues, first.
  3. Answering the clue, but being unwilling to give clues of your own.  It's fine to decree "Free Post" occasionally.  We have, in the past, however, had players who would repeatedly answer others' clues but refuse to post any of their own.

It is usually good to wait for acknowledgment from the clue-giver that your answer is correct, but it is not essential.  This is especially true of Triple Movie Links," where no one waits for acknowledgment.  In general, if you're wrong, someone will let you know pretty quickly.

You might want to take a look at the "How to Play the Game Threads" thread, pinned to the beginning of the forum.

Perhaps you'd like to start a thread of your own.  You can make the rules as you see fit.  If you don't know how to start a thread, I'm sure that Raf would be happy to set one up for you.

George

George, yes I know!!  Thanks !

Yes, I was pointing out that, if you were posting for others to guess, it had to be a quote from some famous written work, either some famous book or an incredibly famous speech or something.  No book I've ever heard of had a line like "Does anyone know what play Lincoln was watching when he was killed in 1865?"   As a line, it actually COULD have been from a book (it sounds like it could be a line of dialogue from a movie or TV show.)   However, if it was not a line from a book, it wasn't a proper turn. (And the turn was on Raf, who had already posted.)   BTW, the quote from Mercutio before was TOTALLY a proper quote from a book.

Next author.

"When I had made an end of these labors, it was four o'clock --still dark as midnight. As the bell sounded the hour, there came a knocking at the street door. I went down to open it with a light heart, --for what had I now to fear? There entered three men, who introduced themselves, with perfect suavity, as officers of the police. A shriek had been heard by a neighbour during the night; suspicion of foul play had been aroused; information had been lodged at the police office, and they (the officers) had been deputed to search the premises. I smiled, --for what had I to fear? I bade the gentlemen welcome. The shriek, I said, was my own in a dream. The old man, I mentioned, was absent in the country. I took my visitors all over the house. I bade them search --search well. I led them, at length, to his chamber. I showed them his treasures, secure, undisturbed. In the enthusiasm of my confidence, I brought chairs into the room, and desired them here to rest from their fatigues, while I myself, in the wild audacity of my perfect triumph, placed my own seat upon the very spot beneath which reposed the corpse of the victim."

42 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Next author.

"When I had made an end of these labors, it was four o'clock --still dark as midnight. As the bell sounded the hour, there came a knocking at the street door. I went down to open it with a light heart, --for what had I now to fear? There entered three men, who introduced themselves, with perfect suavity, as officers of the police. A shriek had been heard by a neighbour during the night; suspicion of foul play had been aroused; information had been lodged at the police office, and they (the officers) had been deputed to search the premises. I smiled, --for what had I to fear? I bade the gentlemen welcome. The shriek, I said, was my own in a dream. The old man, I mentioned, was absent in the country. I took my visitors all over the house. I bade them search --search well. I led them, at length, to his chamber. I showed them his treasures, secure, undisturbed. In the enthusiasm of my confidence, I brought chairs into the room, and desired them here to rest from their fatigues, while I myself, in the wild audacity of my perfect triumph, placed my own seat upon the very spot beneath which reposed the corpse of the victim.

44 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

Next author.

"When I had made an end of these labors, it was four o'clock --still dark as midnight. As the bell sounded the hour, there came a knocking at the street door. I went down to open it with a light heart, --for what had I now to fear? There entered three men, who introduced themselves, with perfect suavity, as officers of the police. A shriek had been heard by a neighbour during the night; suspicion of foul play had been aroused; information had been lodged at the police office, and they (the officers) had been deputed to search the premises. I smiled, --for what had I to fear? I bade the gentlemen welcome. The shriek, I said, was my own in a dream. The old man, I mentioned, was absent in the country. I took my visitors all over the house. I bade them search --search well. I led them, at length, to his chamber. I showed them his treasures, secure, undisturbed. In the enthusiasm of my confidence, I brought chairs into the room, and desired them here to rest from their fatigues, while I myself, in the wild audacity of my perfect triumph, placed my own seat upon the very spot beneath which reposed the corpse of the victim."

Poe?

2 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:
3 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Next author.

"When I had made an end of these labors, it was four o'clock --still dark as midnight. As the bell sounded the hour, there came a knocking at the street door. I went down to open it with a light heart, --for what had I now to fear? There entered three men, who introduced themselves, with perfect suavity, as officers of the police. A shriek had been heard by a neighbour during the night; suspicion of foul play had been aroused; information had been lodged at the police office, and they (the officers) had been deputed to search the premises. I smiled, --for what had I to fear? I bade the gentlemen welcome. The shriek, I said, was my own in a dream. The old man, I mentioned, was absent in the country. I took my visitors all over the house. I bade them search --search well. I led them, at length, to his chamber. I showed them his treasures, secure, undisturbed. In the enthusiasm of my confidence, I brought chairs into the room, and desired them here to rest from their fatigues, while I myself, in the wild audacity of my perfect triumph, placed my own seat upon the very spot beneath which reposed the corpse of the victim.

Way, has anyone gotten the author yet??  I think it's Poe, but that's only a guess.

1 hour ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Way, has anyone gotten the author yet??  I think it's Poe, but that's only a guess.

Yes, Grace VC got it correct.   Only guesses on this thread would count, of course. You're the only person who's posted since the quote was posted.

The quote was from "The Tell-Tale Heart."  If nobody got it, I was going to enlarge the quote with the lines preceding and succeeding it.

Just now, WordWolf said:

Yes, Grace VC got it correct.   Only guesses on this thread would count, of course. You're the only person who's posted since the quote was posted.

The quote was from "The Tell-Tale Heart."  If nobody got it, I was going to enlarge the quote with the lines preceding and succeeding it.

Way, you can play for me if you want.  I just wanted to get one right, that's all folks!!  

59 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Way, you can play for me if you want.  I just wanted to get one right, that's all folks!!  

Hey, hey, HEY!!!

Didn't I just say that it's bad form to guess one, and then not give a clue?  :nono5:  :biglaugh:

Seriously, I mentioned that googling was not allowed, but I should have specified, when ANSWERING a clue.  It's perfectly acceptable, even encouraged, to google when you give a clue, to make sure that you get it correct.  I'm fairly certain that, bright though he may be, WW did not type out that quote from "The Tell-Tale Heart" from memory.  Obviously, no one can FORCE you to give the next clue, but I highly encourage it.  Feel free to google from a book or play.  As long as the author is fairly well-known, we'd like to see what you come up with.

George

I looked up the author's name and the book title online, and got that quote.  Often, I'll do a search with the author's name and "quotes".

Example: "George St George" "quotes"  to get results with pages specifically compiling quotes from George St George. 

(There are very few books I could quote from memory for a whole paragraph.)

And yes, I cut and pasted what became the clue.