GreaseSpot Cafe

Name That Author

It's from Shakespeare's third sonnet.

You're up, W&W!

George

THE thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge. You, who so well know the nature of my soul, will not suppose, however, that I gave utterance to a threat. AT LENGTH I would be avenged; this was a point definitively settled -- but the very definitiveness with which it was resolved precluded the idea of risk. I must not only punish, but punish with impunity. A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong.

I would guess Alexandre Dumas ("The Count of Monte Cristo")

George

No, but that's a good guess. This might help, it's from the same story:

I said to him -- "My dear Fortunato, you are luckily met. How remarkably well you are looking to-day! But I have received a pipe of what passes for Amontillado, and I have my doubts."

"How?" said he, "Amontillado? A pipe? Impossible ? And in the middle of the carnival?"

"I have my doubts," I replied; "and I was silly enough to pay the full Amontillado price without consulting you in the matter. You were not to be found, and I was fearful of losing a bargain."

"Amontillado!"

"I have my doubts."

"Amontillado!"

"And I must satisfy them."

"Amontillado!"

"As you are engaged, I am on my way to Luchesi. If any one has a critical turn, it is he. He will tell me" --

"Luchesi cannot tell Amontillado from Sherry."

"And yet some fools will have it that his taste is a match for your own."

"Come let us go."

"Whither?"

That's the way it is with all the games, WW...

I hope she’ll be a fool—that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.

If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him, some heightened sensitivity to the promises of life,…[he had] …an extraordinary gift for hope, a romantic readiness such as I have never found in any other person and which it is not likely I shall ever find again.

George

Those of us who don't check in to the website every 2-3 hours are at a distinct disadvantage

when the clues are left in succession.

I could've gotten it from the first clue.

I'm just saying.

Yeah, me too. Strange.... I read it in English class almost 40 years ago, and only then. But I can remember the story well.

“For the love of God, Montresor!”

carry on, George!

It is Dante Alighieri, author of The Divine Comedy.

The quote I used was translated by Nathanel Hawthorne and is from Purgatorio, Canto 1.

Most well-known quote:

"All hope abandon ye who enter here".

Written on the sign above the entrance to Hell.

- from
Inferno

GSG, you're up.

It is, in fact, Longfellow.

It's the poem Evangeline, rather remarkable in that its meter is dactylic hexameter, a common meter in Greek and Latin (both the Iliad and the Aeneid are in dactylic hexameter), but very unusual for English, where the natural rhythm of the language tends toward an iambic meter. (Most of Shakespeare's stuff, for instance, is in iambic pentameter.)

Have at it, bfh!

George

Later - after six bodies had been located, after a search for two others abandoned...people would ask why,

if the weather had begun to deteriorate, had climbers on the upper mountain not heeded the signs?

Walter Mittys with Everest dreams need to bear in mind that when things go wrong up in the Death Zone -

and sooner or later they always do - the strongest guides in the world may be powerless to save a client's

life...because on Everest it is the nature of systems to break down with a vengeance.

Edited by bfh

Later - after six bodies had been located, after a search for two others abandoned...people would ask why,

if the weather had begun to deteriorate, had climbers on the upper mountain not heeded the signs?

Walter Mittys with Everest dreams need to bear in mind that when things go wrong up in the Death Zone -

and sooner or later they always do - the strongest guides in the world may be powerless to save a client's

life...because on Everest it is the nature of systems to break down with a vengeance.

bump

you added a clue, but I don't have one

:huh:

Raf:

Since this forum is Name that Author, I'm going to post a few more clues to see if someone knows the name of the author.

If not, I'll pass it to you.

More clues:

Jim Gallien had driven four miles out of Fairbanks when he spotted the hitchhiker

standing in the snow beside the road, thumb raised high, shivering in the gray Alaska dawn.

He [the hitchhiker] explained that he wanted a ride as far as the edge of Denali National Park,

where he intended to walk deep into the bush and "live off the land for a few months."

Gallien wondered whether he'd picked up on of those crackpots from the lower forty-eight

who come north to live out ill-considered Jack London fantasies. Alaska has long been a magnet

for dreamers and misfits, people who think the unsullied enormity of the Last Frontier will patch all the holes in their lives.

Edited by bfh