GreaseSpot Cafe

Have you ever met an Angel?

Eyesopen

On another thread the topic turned to debil sprits and possession and it was noted by several posters that twi made a big deal about the Debil and what he and his were doing (or not doing). But they seldom mentioned God or Jesus Christ and what they and theirs were doing.

I mentioned that I believe that I have actually had a conversation with an Angel and that same Angel took the time to save my LEAD partner and I from an unknown fate. After mentioning this on the other thread I was asked if I would share the experience with all of you. I am sure that I was not the only one to have God's personal intervention in my life nor am I the only one that has spoken to an Angel. So please feel free to add your own experiences.

So this is an exerpt from my own autobiography. I have edited it a bit for clarity since I am not printing the entire book here. It takes place after my rather dismal LEAD experience on the hitchhike home from New Mexico to Emporia.

Michael and I were dropped off on the highway below the Chalet in Tinnie just like hundreds of other Corps had been before. There was nothing exceptional about the day in any way, it was warm. We started walking in the appropriate direction and when a vehicle would pass going our direction we would turn to face it and stick out our thumbs. Eventually we caught a ride. Each ride that we caught would take us only a small distance down the highway and we would be out on the road walking again. We spoke very little, being content with quiet contemplation of the events that we had just endured and thankful that we had both escaped physically unscathed. I know that I reveled in regaining my long lost ability to just silently talk to God as my Father.

On the second day about midday Michael and I opened our eyes for what seemed like the first time since leaving the mountain and found that we had no idea where we were at. We were on a long, barren stretch of highway that was intermittingly criss-crossed with overpasses that seemed to go no-where. Quite literally there was nothing as far as the eye could see; no trees, no brush, no cars, no signs identifying the highway, no buildings…nothing…and we could see quite a ways. The road was gently rising before our feet and gently sloping away. We had not slept at all since leaving Tinnie. We had not eaten anything but compressed peanut butter bars with sesame seeds that were washed down with warm, stale water since leaving Tinnie the morning prior. Our stomachs growled and our legs felt like lead and jello alternately. We were quickly becoming discouraged.

With unspoken communication Michael and I decided to sit amongst the cheat grass beneath one of the overpasses. It was just for a moment; to drop our packs and close our weary eyes, to remove our tortured skin from the unrelenting heat of the sun. There wasn’t even a breeze to caress our baking flesh. With a heavy sigh of resignation and defeat we sat in the sweltering shade. I closed my eyes and I do not know if I slept as I leaned against my backpack. I know that I sent only one silent prayer or pleading to God, “Help us” as my eyes shut.

I opened them with a start, as did Michael. Suddenly we were awake, not just awake but energized and alert. We turned to look at one another from across our chosen seating areas. “What is different?” was the question on both our tongues. A gentle but insistent breeze played in my hair; it was noted on the edge of my mind. Michael and I looked first one way down the highway and then the other. We were faced with a barren landscape that was similar but different from the one that we closed our eyes too. We stood and examined our surroundings as if we had stepped from a different world. It was changed but it was not changed. Something was most definitely different but we could not decide exactly what so we shouldered our packs and began to once again walk up the highway. If we did not get a long ride soon we would most certainly be late returning to Emporia.

We had walked perhaps 200 yards when suddenly a car was coming down the highway, going in our direction. It was a simple 4 door sedan of a nondescript color but it looked like a gold plated limousine to us. We stuck out our thumbs and the car pulled onto the shoulder. We rushed to the passenger side of the car and Michael opened the front door. The driver told him to stash our packs in the back seat and I suggested that Michael climb in after them and get some sleep. Somehow I was still wide awake. Michael, completely outside of character readily agreed and sleepily crawled into the back seat. He had been wide awake just scant moments previous but now suddenly he was barely able to close his door before he was sound asleep.

I sat down in the front seat and for the first time took a good look at the driver. Were he standing he might reach 5’ 10”. His little tummy extended out from his body and threatened to rest on his rounding polyester encased legs. Short but not quite stubby arms protruded from his white cotton button down shirt and as he moved the “farmers” tan on them became evident. A short fleshy neck upon which a double chin rested when not jiggling, bloomed from the crisp collar. Soft brown deer eyes peered at me from behind a black pair of horned rim glasses that perched on the small bridge of his nose. Dark brown eyebrows gently arched over those eyes. Around the tall expanse of his forehead, which extended to the back of his head, grew an Olympic crown ring of slightly lighter hair. Beneath his nose was a warm smile. He was exactly what I pictured in my mind of how a traveling salesman would look.

I thanked him for stopping for us and asked him where he had come from. Both Michael and I had just looked behind us and saw nothing when this car had suddenly appeared and pulled off of the highway in front of us. He asked me, “Did you not see me?” I told him that I had not. “Well no matter. I am here now am I not? And you need a ride…yes?” “Yes” we did in fact need a ride and he was here and willing to take us down this Twilight Zone highway. I wondered then what Michael would think of this unexpected boon and I turned slightly to ask. But Michael was breathing deeply and in the midst of the deepest of sleep. “Looks like your friend was tired. I don’t think that you will be able to wake him.” In fact I did halfheartedly try to rouse him; he only groaned lightly and rolled over. So I let him be. I had forgotten what it was that I wanted to ask him anyway.

I turned back to the driver, from whom I never requested a name. He was smiling. I could not help but be drawn into that smile. It soothed me, comforted me and made me feel safe. This man was sent from God. I knew that as fact just as I know that at this very second I am breathing. I asked him what he did for a living, not quite certain what I was expecting to hear. He told me that he was a traveling salesman. "What do you sell?" I asked. “This and that” He said. I did not pursue the topic. The mischievous grin on my host’s face bespoke of more play with words and no real answers. My silence opened the door for him to ask me questions. He asked my name and the name of my companion. Then he asked me what we were doing on the highway hitchhiking. My answer was quite extended as you might imagine. The Way jargon that I now used as a matter of course was difficult to translate into the normal English language. Concepts such as LEAD were foreign to my new friend.

As we spoke the miles sped by beneath the wheels of the sedan. The highway lay unchanged before us. Off ramps occurred often but they bore no identification at all. There were no numbers and no names assigned to any of them. There were no signs on the highway identifying it either; in truth I saw no signs at all; no speed limit signs, no destination signs…nothing. It simply droned on without any distinguishing marks or sights. Strangely enough there was occasionally another car on that stretch of road, some were going the other way and one showed up behind us for a short time and then it was gone. Perhaps it took one of the off ramps. I realized that I had forever to tell him my story…and I did tell him. From time to time he would ask a clarifying question but for the most part I happily chattered along without any further encouragement from him. I don’t remember the specifics of what I told him beyond my happy childhood, despite the illnesses and injuries and my quest to become a minister for God. I don’t remember one actual word of the conversation I only know that I told him about my life and my dreams and goals. All that I remember is that I talked for a good long time, while the highway stretched out unending before us.

When at last I stopped and he had no further questions the road changed. The tires of our sedan picked up the sound of uneven pavement no doubt where it had been patched. It was this sound that caused my head to turn and behold in wonder the vision before me. Trees and dark green brush had sprung from the earth and signs had sprouted from the rough shoulder. A truck stop now rose in the distance. “This is as far as I should take you. You can get a ride here with a trucker.” There was nothing left for me to say except “Thank you” so when I stepped out of the car that is what I said. Michael had become fully awake when we pulled into the parking lot. He sat up, looked around, said “Thanks” and stepped out of the car with the bags in tow. I waved as our “salesman” drove out of the parking lot and watched as he drove onto the on ramp. His car was lost from sight for just a moment but I kept watching because I was certain that I would see it enter the highway at the bottom of the ramp which was clearly visible to me. The car never exited the ramp; it never drove back onto the highway. I know some of you are thinking that I have completely gone off of the deep end. But I assure you that I never turned my head or closed my eyes. The car got onto the ramp but never got off of it. I told Michael what I had seen when he asked me why I was still staring at the ramp. He discounted it and told me that there was probably a fork or something on that ramp. Well it was possible I supposed. The ramp does curve out of sight for a short bit. I determined that we would need to use that ramp one way or the other if we were to get back to Emporia so I would see what I would see at that time.

It is possible that it is here at this truck stop that we used our $10 to get some food. The entire place seemed like an unfortunate disappointment to me after talking with the salesman. Inside I felt freer than I had for what seemed like an eternity. My heart was light. Which considering what I had just endured on Mt. Capitan seemed like hypocrisy. It wasn’t like I had forgotten the ordeal, or that I was no longer angry. It was more a kin to a deep seated peace. The kind that comes from an unerring, untainted, complete and total trust in the path that you are on or in the fact that you are safe. I knew beyond any doubt that this salesman had been an Angel. There had been too many irregularities. Michael of course thought that I was nuts. Perhaps I was or am, but I know what I saw and I know what I felt.

After a bit of looking we did catch a ride out of the truck stop. Michael insisted that I climb into the sleeper and use it for its intended purpose. I was “obviously” delusional from the lack of sleep. He had been completely awake and fully refreshed until he looked at his watch and it told him that he had only slept for around an hour. So now he was weary and grumpy. I did climb into the sleeper but I did not close my eyes until I had checked out the on ramp. There were no forks in the bloody thing. There were no other ways off of the ramp except for the openings at either end. A quick look at the highway showed me that it looked as normal as any other highway in both directions; black pavement lined in greenery and signs. There was no sense in pointing out any of this to Michael as he had seemingly made up his mind that I was hallucinating. So I went to sleep and I slept all the way into Kansas.

So there it is my Angel story. Originally I had promised to tell this story after I had finished telling my LEAD story...now I have. I was called crazy by my fellow Corps. But if I had claimed that I had cast out 12 debil sprits they would have given me a medal or something. Our focus was really wacked!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! I am sure of it.

It was also a hitch hiking experiance,but my friend and I had left The Way and we left no notes

just picked up and left with the clothes on our backs and my guitar( an Alvarez black smoke in color

it was a gift from my father)

We had been on the road for two days now from Phoniex and were headed for Florida but ended up

in California .

Our plan now was to go see her friend in San Diego,well....it was in the wee morning hours 3am or

so entering L.A. we could see the lights from far away,but our last driver keft us in the middle of

nowhere making it hard to get a ride(this was also during the days of the zodiak serial killer of course

we didn't know anything we never looked at the news or newspapers, or tv!)

So,,,here we are concrete highways and noone on the road ,from a distance we see a car,its a

lowrider (and being from san antonio I know that is trouble for two young girls)there are more than

four guys in this car and we just keep walking trying not to draw attention to ourselves,I had a cowboy

hat on and drew it low over my eyes as I carried my guitar.

I thought they might want the guitar and then leave us alone but they drove slow cruising along side

as we walked,we had no where to go and if we got in that car it would be over.

Trust me you just know these things (and I am of hispanic background so I am not saying this to be racist)

The suddenly out of Nowhere,no noise or anything an 18 wheeler pulls up quick and motions with his

hand "come on" (usally you can hear a truck coming down a road!)

We sprint to the truck and get in,I see a man Indian man,long hair, and indian jewelry on his hands.

I say Thanks!

He never says a word,but the kind eyes don't have too we both know what may have happened back

there.

The feeling of safety is unbelievable,and we drive on thru the dark away from L.A. and he leaves us

at a little town,which I think had like a greyhound bus station.

I'll never forget that.

OKC, The incredible feeling of safety is amazing. There are no real words to describe it but it sure makes a person want to give thanks.

David, let me know if you ever feel like sharing that story. I would love to hear it.

CoolChef, I've never ever done acid in my life. But I understand the skepticism. Michael was there and he didnt believe it, I dont really expect you to either...after all it happened way back in 1986 and you weren't there.

Hee hee George, I think we have all met some 'angels' like that in our lifetimes! I think they might be on probation or something... :blink:

I was thinking Good angel or Bad angel,lets hear that too. I bet this thing would light up if it

was posted did you ever shell shock a demon! Oh yeah .

well ofcourse because in TWI thats

just a habit pattern we are trained automatically to do.

David, let me know if you ever feel like sharing that story. I would love to hear it.

Ya had to be there. It was in 1986 or 87 (I forget exactly now), but it was in the dead of winter.

I was getting divorced, and estranged from the house I used to live in. I was living in a Way house

across town, and Chr!s Gr@nlich was in charge of the area, back then in the same house.

I was coming home from work (11 pm or so) during a MAJOR snow storm. My pos wow-mobile

got stuck at an intersection of two roads because of the heavy snow, on the way home.

Dangerous. Even at that time of night, it was a *busy* intersection.

Out of nowhere --- 3 fellas ran out of the storm, one yelled at me to get in the car, and drive.

(I had been out of the car, trying to push it out of the snow I was mired in).

I got back in, took the steering wheel, and they pushed me out.

The driver side window was open, and I turned to wave thanks. But there wasn't a one of them there.

Neither had I seen the car (if they had one) behind me when I was stuck.

The minute I was unstuck, they disappeared.

My sanity, veracity, whatever might be called in question, but have at it. I was there. You weren't.

There was one other time, I did something very foolish, and I needed financial help to get me out of it.

Totally broken -- I asked God to help, cause I sure couldn't do it on my own.

I looked out the window of my dining room, and literally saw the name (of a friend of mine)

floating over my back yard in really big letters. Needless to say, I gave him a call,

and I got bailed out of the situation.

Some doubt. Others question. I prefer to believe. :)

I've posted this before here. Because it involved my whole family it has a special significance for all of us. I recently retold this to my two sisters, who I'd never given the details to and found that my younger sister had an experience she told me about that was somewhat similar, different circumstances entirely but the basic elements were very similar. (snooze alert! it's loooong....)

Anyhoo - 25th Anniversary for The Mom and I. We celebrated in Hawaii, two weeks. One on the Big Island, and one on Mauii. We tried snorkeling and found we really enjoyed it. The Mom's a strong swimmer as are the Boy and the Girl and having grown up little in Florida, they love the water. I've always been a little tweezed swimming, because I wear glasses and in the water I can't see much without them. But I got prescription lenses in my face mask and yow! It was like being born again. I really began to enjoy being in the water, seeing the fish, coral, all of that and within a couple days was starting to get the hang of it.

So we're at a public beach, a bay, not too many people but there's public parking, a Snack shop area, a path down to the beach and a large primo snorkeling area in this small bay. There's even a life guard dude. So we set up in a spot and hit the water. The rest of the family's out and about quickly and I'm still tentative but enjoying the water.

Down a ways to the left a few hundred feet the beach curves up into a cliff area and there's a kind of chicken wire fence, closing off a section that's all rocks, pretty slippery by the looks of them. At that area the sandy beach part is only 10 - 15 feet to the cliff wall, and then goes down to the rocky area fenced off.

So at one point Mom sees how I'm doing - fine, so she wants to take the kids up to the snack shop. I say fine, I'll meet them at our spot in a few. I paddle off, happy as a clam. I'm staying in just a few feet of water, and I end up kind of floating off down to the end and I look up, see I'm getting close to that rocky area and turn in and walk up, figuring to get out. There's no one down at that end of the beach, it's empty

and there's not much sand or beach. I step over a few rocks, not thinking they're slippery as I'm getting out of the water. Wrong. I slip completely off balance, and fall down on my left hand, catching myself from smacking down hard.

Unfortunately, I jammed the middle finger, left hand straight down into this rock when I fell and as I stood up looked at it and found - I'd knocked the finger out of it's socket, second joint. So my middle finger's popped out of the joint, bent completely back the wrong way; like a perfectly wrong right angle. I'm moderately shocked, try to wiggle it and it's jammed stuck. I can feel the tendons stretched back like rubber bands and my blood pressure is going whoooosh into my head as I tried to get my bearings.

Now - when I got out and fell and stood up - there was no one at that end of the beach. There were a few people in the water a few hundred feet down, and on the beach but I was alone. The whole get out-fall-get up-go ow! took just a few seconds. Then, suddenly there was a man standing in front of me, between myself and the cliff wall, standing there. He was about 6 foot, dark blond hair, kind of curly and long, wearing a colored t-shirt and swim trunks.

I was so in shock I didn't know what to say. He said "Are you alright?" I was speechless. He put his hands on my shoulders and looked at me straight on and kind of shook me - "Are you OKAY?" I held my hand up and said "NO!"

He looked at my hand and down the beach and pointed to the Life Guard stand. "We need to get to the Life Guard and get help. Come on!" and we went running down the beach. At this point I wasn't even thinking about who he was or where he came from, but I felt completely calm. I grabbed a towel at our spot and wrapped it around my hand - it wasn't bleeding at all, but it looked really weird and was starting to hurt like the dickens. I got my baseball cap - a purple and pink hat I'd that said "Lake Tahoe" on it and we went to the Life Guard.

Life Guard Dude said "whoa! That's nasty! Can't help you man, I could probably pull it back out but they won't let us do that anymore. But there's an emergency hospital about 20 minutes away, you gotta go there".

So the man's standing there and nodding and asks me where my family is.......I say up at the Snack shop - The Mom and the kids. He says he'll go get them and takes off running. I stand there talking to Dude Guy waiting, and he tells me I don't look so good and we sit down.

At the snack shop, Mom told me later a guy came running up into the crowd and stood right in front of them and yelled "Are you here with a man in a pink baseball cap?!" They look at each other like - uh oh. She says they are, he tells them I've had an accident, I'm okay but I'll need to get to a hospital to get checked out. He says "Come on!" and they go running down the path to the beach and he points to the Life Guard stand and says that's where I'm at.

Mom turns to him to ask him what's going on, and he's gone. One second - talking to her - next second - disappeared. She stopped for a second and looked around and then just kept on running down to find out what's going on.

Soooo, we meet up and I've got my hand wrapped and just tell her I messed my hand up and we head out. I look for the guy, she tells me quickly what happened and we can't find him so we make a beeline for the car and head for the emergency room.

Long story somewhat shorter - when we got there they said they couldn't accept my Medical insurance, Kaiser, I'd have to go another half hour into town. I hadn't let her or the kids see what it looked like, I didn't want to scare them. So I unwrapped the towel off my hand and said you gotta help me. By this time the finger was swollen up and just didn't look good. My wife - I hate to think about it - she closed her eyes and held my arm and the Admitting Nurse said "We'll see you" and took me back immediately to start x-rays.

The good new was - no fracture or breakage. The bad news - they iced it up and told me they'd start the procedure to "reset" the finger bone after I'd gotten a shot of some pain killers. Hahaha. A nurse sat me down and stood behind me and held my shoulders while the Doctor started fiddling around with some stuff seated in front of me. He said he wanted to check my reflexes and had me extend my other arm out. He held the popped finger in his hand and asked me if I could "feel that" and I said yeah.

He said "Here, grab it and pull" and tossed a towel out for me to grab. I grabbed at it and he yanked it and said "pull!" I did and at the same time he yanked the other hand, my middle finger hard and pulled it back out.

I blacked out for a second, the next thing I remember was the nurse holding me up and the Dr. saying "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. I'm so sorry - that's the best way to do it - it has to be pulled back out. I'm really sorry".

So another x-ray and the bones look okay. They splint it and wrap it and tell me it'll be about 3-4 months before it's usable. Some other stuff. I get a prescription for some stuff and some pain killers and we're outta there.

Later we compared notes on exactly what happened on the beach and the guy who showed up to help. We decided he was an angel.

He didn't say much, was completely serious and focused completely on me and helping me. He appeared and disappeared, literally, in front of our eyes. His sole purpose seemed to be to get me through that period of time when I was disoriented and he was gone when everything was handled and the direction was set.

Through that I learned a lesson that became clearer over the next couple days as I considered what had happened. I was overwhelmed when the ramifications of that event hit me. I cried, I couldn't stop. I've remembered it since like rivers of tears, like I was throwing up tears. Finally I felt fine, peaceful, as if I'd been wrung out dry.

Why then, why me, why that way, why not other times and other people, I don't know. I believe this happens much more than we, all of us, are aware of at the times it happens. At other times it can be as if it's perceived out of the corner of your eye, and when you look directly it's gone. I am sure there are more instances like that one though. :)

background -- just like my name is a joke, my heavy revy is often ridiculous (last week, miraculously, I got the outside window of my office cleaned, after the risk manager told me I could not go out on the roof and clean it myself).

So ... back circa 199? post-twi and pre-trashnet-WayDale-Greasespot Cafe, after losing church-in-the-home, that I really loved ... I am early-morning running around (literally, morning routine, shorts and gym shoes running around), and there is this pew (church pew) on the sidewalk -- in this area, people would put on the sidewalk big items, old furniture, huge piles of garden waste, etc. -- on the sidewalk for the garbage man to pick up. And here in this residential area. Not a church around anywhere, there is this pew, up for grabs. I go home and get my little car (a Yugo -- you go. I'll stay here) -- and drive to where the pew was -- I couldn't have church-in-the-home I was used to, but I could have a pew-in-the-home.

Any way. This pew is really heavy -- old style heavy wood -- It's about 6:30 am, before the garbage trucks came around, I got no extra time because I got to get going to work, etc.

I run back home. Get the car, and these two guys, really nice, do the sudden appearance thing, speak kindly to me, put the pew in the car like it's a piece of cake, and do the sudden disappearance thing. Just so nice. My girlfriend had recently told me the story of her life-saving-policeman-angel-who-came-along-when-her-husband-was-dying-gave-her-confidence-to-raise-him-from-the-dead, and I certainly wanted to have an angel experience.

So this is my angel encounter. Barely believable. Certainly not apparently life-saving, but at time time of pre-Greasespot Cafe, pre Trashnet, and the thread of my life was unraveling. My angel encounter refreshed my heart that the Lord had not turned Himself away from me.

background -- just like my name is a joke, my heavy revy is often ridiculous (last week, miraculously, I got the outside window of my office cleaned, after the risk manager told me I could not go out on the roof and clean it myself).

So ... back circa 199? post-twi and pre-trashnet-WayDale-Greasespot Cafe, after losing church-in-the-home, that I really loved ... I am early-morning running around (literally, morning routine, shorts and gym shoes running around), and there is this pew (church pew) on the sidewalk -- in this area, people would put on the sidewalk big items, old furniture, huge piles of garden waste, etc. -- on the sidewalk for the garbage man to pick up. And here in this residential area. Not a church around anywhere, there is this pew, up for grabs. I go home and get my little car (a Yugo -- you go. I'll stay here) -- and drive to where the pew was -- I couldn't have church-in-the-home I was used to, but I could have a pew-in-the-home.

Any way. This pew is really heavy -- old style heavy wood -- It's about 6:30 am, before the garbage trucks came around, I got no extra time because I got to get going to work, etc.

I run back home. Get the car, and these two guys, really nice, do the sudden appearance thing, speak kindly to me, put the pew in the car like it's a piece of cake, and do the sudden disappearance thing. Just so nice. My girlfriend had recently told me the story of her life-saving-policeman-angel-who-came-along-when-her-husband-was-dying-gave-her-confidence-to-raise-him-from-the-dead, and I certainly wanted to have an angel experience.

So this is my angel encounter. Barely believable. Certainly not apparently life-saving, but at time time of pre-Greasespot Cafe, pre Trashnet, and the thread of my life was unraveling. My angel encounter refreshed my heart that the Lord had not turned Himself away from me.

That is really neat! But, how did you wash your outside window?

It was my interim year in Brooklyn, NY, 1977-78. It was winter and NYC got hit with one of the biggest blizzards in years. They let us go early from work (I worked in Manhattan). The snow was really coming down, I luckily managed to get on the last B train going to Brooklyn. I had my little pocket bible and had been reading that, thankful to be able to make it home. I wasn't from Brooklyn and knew my area, but its a very large borough and did not know the rest of it.

Suddenly, the loudspeaker comes on. They are stopping the train. No more trains at all, everything's becoming snowed in. Hmm. I get up to look at the map, with a bunch of other people. I'm somewhere in the middle of Brooklyn, have no clue where I am, have no idea how I'll get home and it looks like a very long walk ahead in the blizzard. Then, I feel a tap on my shoulder. This sweet little old man says to me, do you know where you are? I said no. He says, do you know how to get home? I said no. He says, I live in Bensonhurst, follow me (Bensonhurst was the section I also lived in). We left the subway, walked a few blocks and there was a bus. We got on. I think it was the last bus running. As I said, it was a couple of blocks away, I'm in a strange neighborhood, and I did not know the Brooklyn bus system. I never would have found it. We are almost the only people on it. As we are riding and I watch the snow come down, it dawned on me, this is an angel - whoa. I looked at him and said, may I ask you a question? You're going to think I'm crazy. He says, sure. I said, are you an angel? He looks at me, laughs and says, no, I'm just an old Jew, as he's laughing. Finally, he says, here's your stop. I thanked him and got off. I was on my block.

Now, this guy picks me out of a group of people, is from my neighborhood, Bensonhurst which all italian, and knows exactly where the last bus is that's running. I also know, angels appear in context with the situation. In other words, I think God sends them and they blend into the surroundings so as not to cause alarm. The city was stopped dead for almost a week and it took a few more for it to dig out. I really believe it was an angel that got me home.

I have one more incident I'll share in a bit.

Sweet.

There has been a time, or maybe two, in my own life when I thought, in hindsight, that I'd had a possible encounter with an angel. But there is no doubt in my mind that I am here on the Earth only because my father, may God rest his sweet soul, had one. I related this incident on the 9th Corps thread a few years ago, when Dad died, but here it is again.

My Dad fought in the Pacific theater of WWII, and was in the patrol which held the record for number of days behind enemy lines. Every man in his group but one was wounded, and that unwounded man had his rifle shot out of his hands, and had the heel of his boot shot off. But I digress.

It was very heavy fighting. You probably know that in times of war, soldiers "buddy up." A soldier teams up with a friend who will watch his back, and vice versa. One day, my father's buddy was killed in action. The very next day, Dad and the remaining patrol members found themselves pinned down by heavy enemy fire, and quickly running out of ammunition. What the Japanese lacked in supplies, they made up for in sheer numbers of people. They just kept coming. The American soldiers knew that this was the end for them. Dad looked up, and saw his buddy (who'd died in combat the day before) standing there, just standing straight up, in the firing zone. "Sam, looks like you're having a hard time of it," he said. He gestured behind some bushes. Dad crawled over there, and found a box of ammunition. How it got there, nobody knew or cared, but it was enough to stand off the rest of the attack. Dad never called this an angel encounter; he did not know what to call it. He also told me that the other guys never believed him about his buddy showing him where the ammo was, "but they sure believed the ammunition," he would chuckle.

Dad never met my Mom until a few years after the war. In retrospect, I'm kind of glad that he made it.

Anyway, that's the best angel story I know.

There were other times when Dad would "know" something that ended up saving his life, but this was the only time when the knowledge involved a supernatural being. Perhaps that's what it took to get him to crawl out of his semi-protected spot to go and look behind those bushes.

There have also been other incidents of my family members "knowing" things which they could not have learned through the five senses; it happened more to my folks and to my sister than to me (although a bit to me). I have wondered whether the ministry caused me to adopt a false spiritual pridefulness which hampered my access to the awareness that seems to run in the family. There have been times since my father's passing when I have felt a watchful, protective, loving presence. Yes, I know that Weirwille taught that this was devilish. Yeah, yeah. He taught a lot of stuff. I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; is that how the saying goes?

love, niKa

Now, this guy picks me out of a group of people, is from my neighborhood, Bensonhurst which all italian, and knows exactly where the last bus is that's running.

Sunesis,

Never underestimate the power of sex appeal. You were a hot babe in those days (probably still are).

It's amazing to me in reading this thread (among others) how often and how strongly people base their beliefs on an explanation they've ascribed to a feeling they had. And how much they are willing to change the normal definitions of words (talk, hear, angel) when they do so. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

What I see from all of these beautiful stories is that God is willing and wants to help us in every aspect of our lives. The smallest of details are attended too. Like in Kit's case she didnt necessarily need to find a new church to help her through a tough time, a church pew would be more than sufficient for the job. DMiller and Sunesis simply needed to get home safely, Socks needed to get to a doctor for his finger and NiKa's dad needed some ammo.

I'm sure that we dont see Angels more often than we actually see them but it is very cool when they show themselves. Another thing that I noticed in the stories is that there was never a moment of hesitation at answering them or taking their direction. No-one asked "What the heck? or Who the heck are you?" or anything like that. DMiller was told to get back in his car and drive. He did. Sunesis wandered around Brooklyn with a complete stranger leading the way. NiKa's dad crawled out of a safe spot on the words of a dead man. Both Socks and the 'mom' followed the direction of a man who was there and then wasn't and Kit found a church pew in an unlikely spot and two unknown men helped her load it in the car. No-one questioned these 'people' except to ask them if they were angels.

It's really amazing how God gave us the standard five senses and an extra sixth one, as well as feelings and emotions to help us decipher and understand not only the world around us but the spiritual realm when it crosses into ours. I actually feel sorry for the folks that deny the reality that occurs all around them for whatever 'logical' reason that they use. They are really missing out on a lot of wonderful and amazing things.

As for that second one of DMiller's...that's just amazing! That kind of thing is just plain biblical to me, burning bush kinda stuff! Very cool!

Perhaps Mr. Ham will grace us with his story now?

Edited by Eyesopen

:biglaugh:

angels are incarnated as human beings, or at least in their form, supposedly..

the only thing I'll say is, I think I met one, and they were really, really screwed up..

"issues" are an understatement..

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

that's all anybody will hear, unless the "angel" logs on gsc, and tells the tale..

I met someone here who after hearing some of this, said, "well, it could have been an angel. Some angels have issues they are working through, too.."

Ya know Ham, since Lucifer was an angel and he obviously had dilusions of grandure and was just a tad narcissistic and a few other things...I do not doubt that some other Angels may be working through some strong feelings of their own. Just from the stories that are told in the Bible concerning both Angels and the fallen ones it is clear that God gave them emotions and feelings as well. It is clearly possible for them to be 'screwed up'. But I like to hope that the ones that stayed at home arent as screwed up as the ones that got cast down.

Now, theoretically speaking, suppose one of them sent here got "stuck". Maybe God has a sense of humor or something.. I dunno..

hmm.. possibility there..

maybe they have the capacity for self-loathing..

Edited by Ham

Now that is an interesting thought.

I have had a couple of things happen that could be angels... One I am pretty convinced was an angel, and two I am still trying to figure out.

First the one I am sure was an angel... I was at a very rowdy concert one night with some friends... we were on the floor, behind the mosh pits which were randomly breaking out all across the front of the stage. One of my friends and I decided that we were going to try and get closer to the stage, so off we went... in between two mosh pits which suddenly merged into one, with the two of us smack in the middle of it. We were immediately knocked to the floor with the wind knocked out of us. I thought for a second that we were going to either die or be seriously injured and I wasn't sure how I was going to explain that to my TC - especially considering that we were at a VERY non ministry function. (It's weird the things that go through your head sometimes...) Suddenly this HUGE guy who looked like Mr. Clean appeared out of nowhere. He had tribal tattoos that went up his arms, then up his neck onto his bald head. He picked us up off the floor, one over each shoulder (now, keep in mind, neither of us was a small, skinny girl), and walked out of the mosh pit which just seemed to part in front of him. He took us to the edge of the pit, put us down and said "Stay here." Then, before we could say thank you, he was gone... which was strange, because he was head and shoulders taller than anyone else around us. We never saw him again.

Second one happened to my mom right after I was born. Her grandmother had just passed away and they had been very close. My mom was unable to go to the funeral because she had just had me a couple of days before. While she was rocking me, her grandmother appeared next to her chair and told her that I was a very strong, good girl and that she was very proud of my mom.... I am not sure if this was an angel or not.

Third one has been happening to me recently... I am almost ready to have my first child. I have been waking up a lot at night because pregnant women have to pee all the time... Sometimes when I get up I see an old woman in our living room. She is extremely short with very white hair... I only see her for split second out of the corner of my eye, and then she is gone. At first I just thought I was still dreaming, half asleep, but I told my father in law about it one day. He asked me what she looked like and I described her to him. He said that it sounded just like his mother... I have seen her a couple of times since. I don't know what to think about this one... is it a dream? I know one thing for sure, this is the first time I have ever seen something of this nature that DIDN'T give me the heebie-jeebies - I just saw her, thought to myself "that was odd" and went back to sleep. Maybe my child's paternal great grandmother is watching over the birth of her great granchild... maybe I am just having those super vivid pregnancy dreams they talk about. I don't know.

Now, theoretically speaking, suppose one of them sent here got "stuck". Maybe God has a sense of humor or something.. I dunno..

hmm.. possibility there..

Ever seen "Dogma," Mr Ham??