GreaseSpot Cafe

Have you ever met an Angel?

Eyesopen

I thought I would bump this very old thread because of something that happened recently.

I was on holiday, with a friend, in a foreign country.  In France.  I have a smattering of French, from schooldays; my friend likewise.  At a road junction, we had just turned the corner.  I spotted the parking garage we needed to enter; my friend was approaching a zebra crossing which had a mum and baby on it.  He stopped the car, and reversed very slowly.  A Frenchwoman in a car was behind him.  A very minor collision occurred. Understandably she was upset and got out of the car, no doubt berating foreigners who came to her country and drove around causing accidents and not speaking the language.  Or some such.  We did our best to explain but it was going nowhere.  The collision had damaged the trim on one of the headlights.  Nothing at all serious.  As well as the headlight trim, there was actually some other damage on her fender, a small hole clearly caused by our towbar, but the offended driver wasn't even slightly concerned at that. 

Two young women approached us.  The footpath had been apparently empty: but here came these two women.  Could they help?  One said she was "witness." We asked if they could speak English.  What do you know?  One had been in London for some years.  She was now in this city, "to preach."  They calmed the woman, inspected the damage; one of them used her phone to photograph the damaged trim and send to the local dealer, who emailed a price back.  Meantime, I'd told the young woman that we too were Christians, and we needed to pray for a good outcome for all.  I don't know that she prayed; she did say very confidently that all would be well. 

The matter was all resolved quite quickly and easily with payment of a very small sum of money.  Although the Frenchwoman had complained that there would be labour costs, when my friend offered her extra money for that, she flatly refused to take it and said he was offering too much and she would only accept the cost of the trim as told by her dealership.

The two young women were Jehovah's Witnesses.  They appeared to be flesh and blood; the more fluent one (who'd done most of the translating) and I embraced.  We all shook hands and hugged or kissed upon departure.  They continued on their journey across the road; we got in the car and as we moved away I looked to follow these women with my eyes.  They were nowhere to be seen.

Were they angels? 

Were they "just people," who just happened to be just the right people, who just happened to arrive at the right time?  With the right skills? Who knew just what to do? With the right calming manner to soothe the offended Frenchwoman? 

I don't know.  A little later we found ourselves in a quiet chapel, and my friend and I quietly and privately thanked God for these people and for their and His help in what could have been a really difficult situation.

And I found myself very much thinking of what it is to have a Mediator, who understands our situations and human frailty, "speaks our language," and who "goes in to bat" for us.  I thought some very immense thoughts about the Mediator, the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave his life and pleads for us.

Anything that makes us think more highly of God, and the Lord Jesus, has got to be godly. I'm thankful!!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic