GreaseSpot Cafe

disaster plan

templelady

All across the web and at LDS.org you can find disaster plans

To my way of thinking these are the rock bottom essentials

WATER WATER WATER Wal-mart sells these 14 liter plastic jugs figure one per family member refresh every six months also a smaller container and water purification tablets in case you have to use the local water

Two changes clothes per family member ( including socks and shoes ) don't forget jackets etc.

heavy duty Sleeping bags-- if you are too warm you can unzip or throw back parts-- better warm than cold.

Waterproof tarps-- the blue auto tarps are great

Wet wipes-- cuts down on water use since they can be used for hand faces and various parts of the anatomy we won't discuss here

A saw-- me I prefer a Meat Saw thick tough and will rip through what needs to be ripped through-- and a good sharp hunting knife --whetstone

A metal cup, plate and utensils one set per family member

A good set of cast iron cookware-- at the least a dutch oven with cover and a large frying pan. They can be set in or on an open fire for cooking,

also ladle, tongs and spatula, barbeque utensils work well

Duct Tape (lots), medium weight cord, --for making shelter with tarps or other things

Hand cranked am/fm radio

Candles or led lanterns, flashlights that don't require batteries you shake them to make them work they run $20-30 apiece

Matches (lots)-I like the wooden ones, also a flint and steel with magnesium block. magnesium shavings start even sopping wet wood

If you live in an area that doesn't have Lots of trees a stock of firewood and kindling figure you may need fires for 2 weeks at least until power is restored or you can be rescued

Food

Beans and rice -- put with some purified water in your dutch oven on the fire --and a good nutritious meal

MREs or freeze dried foods add water

Canned goods with several can openers

energy bars

salt pepper garlic power other seasonings

remember if you loose power anything that needs to be refrigerated or frozen will have to be eaten within the first 24 hours. In high heat you have even less time

Store all this stuff in plastic bags in plastic totes or if you have a vau-seal system do that-- it is key that this stuff be accessable. Storing in the back corner of the basement will not help if the basement and first floor are full of water. In tornado or hurricane season put it with you wherever you are going to hunker down

Seriously -- I live on a hillside where it would be impossible for my house to be flooded. All water that comes here is from rain, and immediately drains down to Lake Superior 4 blocks (and perhaps 100 feet) below me.

Regardless of that --- thanks for the advice TL. Actually I do have extra food and water on hand, but it is for snow storm emergencies which up here are a more direct threat.

Just remember not to store water in plastic containers directly on cement, there is some sort of transference when you do that, just store it on something like a wood palate or on a shelf in the garage.

Also consider that each person will drink up to a gallon every two days, if water is hard to get where you live outside of city water sources, then larger long term quantities should be considered.

Beer does have nutritional value to it, and may be a good option for survival consumption.... :thinking:

Cheers!

I lived in a country that had a serious risk of earthquakes and every year the government would send around to every household a list of what to do and where to keep it.

In addition to what TempleLady says:

Don't forget a first aid kit of some sort - band-aids, bandages, scissors, some kind of disinfectant.

Advice also included putting a note (actually back cover of the tel directory, preprinted for the purpose) on the door or some obvious place, to say that the property had been cleared of people. Saves rescuers some time, don't have to search known vacant and potentially dangerous sites.

A small tent may be better than a tarp.

A camping stove may be better than an open fire. Use lightweight pans (not cast iron) which require less energy to heat them.

A windup radio is helpful.

A windup flashlight is also helpful but if you can't get a windup one, then any other flashlights and make sure you have spare batteries.

Some emergency food in cans (and some way of opening the cans!!)

Have an agreed plan where to meet or how to contact other family members if you are not all at home when disaster strikes.

Beer actually wouldn't be too good because it will end up making you thirstier. You will need extra water to deal with the dehydration from the beer.

In Houston you will never need to buy firewood ever again (even for the BBQ) and a significant inroad into the cost of repair and recovery could be made by selling the pre-chopped matchsticks that places like Galveston and Crystal Beach turned into.

(Gallows humor, apologies in advance if anyone's offended. I'm real sorry for those folks.)