GreaseSpot Cafe

President Barack Obama

Brushstroke

What would you call it northern neighbor when everyone but one is free to discuss politics without repremand?

I'd call it someone expressing their opinion. I don't agree with that opinion any more than you do, but that opinion did not prevent you from expressing yours. Neither the administrator nor the moderators got involved.

Nebraska is up 31-21 over Kansas. My daughter and her boyfriend are over at Memorial Stadium wearing KU gear, probably not too happy right now. That's the contest that seems to be the most important up here, southern neighbor :biglaugh:

I'd call it someone expressing their opinion. I don't agree with that opinion any more than you do, but that opinion did not prevent you from expressing yours. Neither the administrator nor the moderators got involved.

Nebraska is up 31-21 over Kansas. My daughter and her boyfriend are over at Memorial Stadium wearing KU gear, probably not too happy right now. That's the contest that seems to be the most important up here, southern neighbor :biglaugh:

So what's new isn't that how it usually goes? It's too cold to be at Memorial today why arn't they drinking beer at the Rock Chalk didn't you teach them youngens anything? :biglaugh: I must say I am a bit confused at your response though it did not look like an opinion to me it apperars to be a little more, shall we say forceful. It appears to me the administrator was involved.......

pawtucket

Group: Adminisrators

White Dove,

If you want a political discussion of this topic go to the political forum and start one, this isn't the thread or forum to do it.

I rest my case.......

So what's new isn't that how it usually goes? It's too cold to be at Memorial today why arn't they drinking beer at the Rock Chalk didn't you teach them youngens anything? :biglaugh:

They're a little young to be drinking beer...the boyfriend is from Kansas and has been a KU fan since he was a kid.
I must say I am a bit confused at your response though it did not look like an opinion to me it apperars to be a little more, shall we say forceful. It appears to me the administrator was involved.......

pawtucket

Group: Adminisrators

White Dove,

If you want a political discussion of this topic go to the political forum and start one, this isn't the thread or forum to do it.

I rest my case.......

Oops, didn't see that it was pawtucket who posted that...

Wait a daggum minute. I just read the entire thread and I want to know why WhiteDove is being singled out and reprimanded. All the posts on this thread, including mine, are political.

What is going on here?

Brushstroke started a NEWS thread-and it remained that until WD had a diifficulty understanding a 2-1 margin in electoral votes, and also thought a 7.5 million popular vote victory was 'evenly divided' which he called "facts" :blink:

Pawtucket very politely asked him to move that discussion to the political forum.

White Dove,

Whats there not to understand?

Pawtucket made a very civil request when WD questioned the results of the election. That is not just NEWS or comment but politically motivated.

If WD wants to start a thread in the Politics Forum on "Why 7.5 Million Voters Dont REALLY Count" which he has implied in this thread .and insists is true, then he's been pointed to where that is appropriate.

Open isnt now and never has been a place for political discussion. Argument isnt appropriate in a news thread anymore than it is in a "Birthday" thread

I dont understand WD's continual obstinance at simple requests from the owner of the site although its common.

What up with that?

He's free to come on down to the 'Tacks forum in the basement and explain to us all how 364 really really is equal to 163 in his "New Rules of Simple Arithmetic" thread if its such a monumental issue.

I applaud Pawtucket for wanting to keep the Open Forum clean and also for being incredibly gracious about it... most times I actually wish he'd bring the hammer down a little harder on the people who play victim and whine whenever a very simple request is made of them

Edited by mstar1

I doubt if the thread belongs here at all. The title itself was "political" and WD didn't turn it into a political debate. He disagreed with a comment. I agree with WD. Calling an 8 point difference a "landslide" is not an accurate portrayal of the outcome if you take statistical analysis seriously.

WD is not deserving of less respect because of his(?) differing opinions. Heck, I heard enough of that when I was involved in my former religious organization (that wasn't). If we feel free to disrespect others differing views and ideas, how does that make us better than the tormentors of our former religious organization?

Someone commented that Bush got more respect when he was elected (2000 or 2004?). Really?

Obama has been elected to lead a country that in the last 8 years received its worst attack by a foreign nation on its own soil in over 200 years and is now fighting 2 wars as a result; weathered several natural disasters; and is in the midst a housing and banking disaster that was put into motion over 20 years ago; along with a cyclic economic recession. He's got himself into one hot ghetto mess.

Now it's time to put all the talk into action.

I wish him all the best.

Ya know folks... THIS forum isn't necessarily a democracy. I know that Pawtucket listens to other view points besides his own, but it IS HIS WEBSITE.

There have been times when I have needed to accept that position. What would be the problem with suggesting White Dove accept that Pawtucket owns the place and can give direction as he sees fit.

Like Mstar pointed out... it was polite and gracious. Why would ANYone have a problem with THAT?

Brushstroke started a NEWS thread-and it remained that until WD had a diifficulty understanding a 2-1 margin in electoral votes, and also thought a 7.5 million popular vote victory was 'evenly divided' which he called "facts" :blink:

Pawtucket very politely asked him to move that discussion to the political forum.

Whats there not to understand?

Pawtucket made a very civil request when WD questioned the results of the election. That is not just NEWS or comment but politically motivated.

If WD wants to start a thread in the Politics Forum on "Why 7.5 Million Voters Dont REALLY Count" which he has implied in this thread .and insists is true, then he's been pointed to where that is appropriate.

Open isnt now and never has been a place for political discussion. Argument isnt appropriate in a news thread anymore than it is in a "Birthday" thread

I dont understand WD's continual obstinance at simple requests from the owner of the site although its common.

What up with that?

He's free to come on down to the 'Tacks forum in the basement and explain to us all how 364 really really is equal to 163 in his "New Rules of Simple Arithmetic" thread if its such a monumental issue.

I applaud Pawtucket for wanting to keep the Open Forum clean and also for being incredibly gracious about it... most times I actually wish he'd bring the hammer down a little harder on the people who play victim and whine whenever a very simple request is made of them

I had no problem understanding the electoral vote it was the "Landslide" real vote that I disputed 47 % of the people voted for the other candidate that's 3% from a split hardly a landslide.

I never disagreed that this was not the forum for discussion only that only one person was being told not to discuss in a thread that does not belong here to begin with IMO. and by the way correct interpretation of factual data is not by nature politically motivated, it is just the record. As to news there are several non news posts on here this one for instance sounds pretty politically motivated for one candidate. I failed to hear anyone deciding that they could not speak.

It was much lower before the election. The economic crisis started long before the primaries were even concluded. Sure, some people are freaking out for no reason, but don't let them fool you. Obama is working with some of the smartest people available on the economy, and will work with Congress and the private sector to do what is necessary to get us all back on our feet.

Simple requests are fine with me as long as everyone plays by the same rules not just some ,or one only.

Edited by WhiteDove

Ya know folks... THIS forum isn't necessarily a democracy. I know that Pawtucket listens to other view points besides his own, but it IS HIS WEBSITE.

There have been times when I have needed to accept that position. What would be the problem with suggesting White Dove accept that Pawtucket owns the place and can give direction as he sees fit.

Like Mstar pointed out... it was polite and gracious. Why would ANYone have a problem with THAT?

I never suggested that he did not own the place or that he could not do as he wants to. I just expected that the end result would be equal for everyone. I did not realize there were different rules for different people. I thought better. I guess I was wrong

I never suggested that he did not own the place or that he could not do as he wants to. I just expected that the end result would be equal for everyone. I did not realize there were different rules for different people. I thought better. I guess I was wrong.

Or maybe you just view it differently than (almost) everyone else has...

((As the violin dirge begins to play ... ))

Actually, it's all a heinous plot to send Whitedove to the back of the bus. deny him the right to vote, ... and take away his cable privileges. :redface:

:dance:

Send me to the back of the bus????

What makes you think I was ever allowed in the front of the "mission" street bus? :blink: :rolleyes:

Am pleased about that.

Landslide victory too. None of this recounting business.

Here's wishing him well.

Okay, folks, it was my comment "landslide" that got this started as a "political" row, though others picked up on it and made it so.

All I meant was, that this new Prez has a significant mandate. None of the recounting of previous elections. He is clearly the "winner" no matter how the votes are counted. I didn't mean it to be argumentative or political, it's just pleasing to see that he has a clear majority.

If you would like to replace "landslide victory" with "clear majority" - okay, let's just let bickering over words drop away, leave WD alone, and get on with comment or congratulations.

*sigh*

If someone has a problem with the moderation, take it up with the moderators privately instead of derailing yet another thread complaining about it. <_<

Regardless of one's political views, this is a historic moment in our history and one to be proud of, I think.

It will be an interesting four years and, if we do not like the direction the country is heading, we will, again, vote for change.

*sigh*

If someone has a problem with the moderation, take it up with the moderators privately instead of derailing yet another thread complaining about it. <_<

Regardless of one's political views, this is a historic moment in our history and one to be proud of, I think.

It will be an interesting four years and, if we do not like the direction the country is heading, we will, again, vote for change.

I think that is a wonderful idea Belle but as I have said before I tend to deal with people on the same level that they deal with me . Perhaps if one want's the same respect of a private conversation they should not call someone out in a public forum.

Now that we have elected Barack, does that make us an Obama-nation?

:D

I tend to agree.