pawtucket

Has Greasespot jumped the Shark  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Has Greasespot jumped the Shark

• Yes it has, close it down
    • Close but not yet
    • It is still viable
    • Don't know, don't care

The holidays are a time to remember and plan ahead.

This place has been worthwhile for many over the years. I've enjoyed building it and seeing it grow. But that comes with a price. A price that has cost dearly at times. I am not looking for anything other than that you participate in this poll, so that I can get some feedback

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With new people arriving on a regular basis, I think this place serves a very important purpose.

With that said, though, you ultimately have to do what is in your best interest too. In my opinion, we all spent far too long doing what someone else wanted us to do instead of looking out for ourselves when we were in The Way.

On another note, there is a musical forum I participate in that has been around for many years. One of the things that is stressed there is archival value. Even if not another word were posted there, the archives have an ocean of information. So, even if the forums ceased to exist in a participatory sense,, there would be great value in having this information preserved in a readily accessible archive.

just my $.02

I know you are only asking for votes in the poll, not comments, but...

Could the web site be passed on to someone else?  Or to the mods collectively?  

I think there still is a need for GreaseSpot's forums.  I left twi in the late '80's, greatly damaged by LCM, et al, I carried that hurt till I came here and found out the truth.  I came here just 2 years ago, I'm glad there was a forum to go to, not just archival information.  

The poster's interactions breathes life into the information contained here, sometimes information is hard to pull up with the search engine, it is great to be able to post questions.  I am really glad some people like Don'tWorry, and Socks, etc, who were there behind the scenes with vp and who were there wayback with Waydale, still actively post here, another piece of the puzzle always falls into place and I learn something new everytime they post.

...And I am still extreemly bummed that the information on Waydale is not available to late comers like me, I would love to have access to that content.

I am deeply sorry this website has cost you so much personally, isn't there a way to save GS without having you loose so much personal time in managing it?

Edited by now I see

The waydale docs are in the front document section.

These forums take an awful lot of management. People take issue with just about everything that is decided. For example, after the new rules were set, one brilliant poster put up hate videos of our president elect, very nasty stuff. He asked "Why, you don't have any rules about "hate" videos?" This person wants every ethical standard defined? How low was he willing to go without rules? Granted he is an exception to the rule, hopefully, but crap like that comes up each and every day.

I've tried to run a simple site, yet inviting for those that wanted to hear the other side of the story. It worked for many years. But I had to be married to this. (try explaining this place to a significant other!!) I am no longer willing to do that. You don't have any idea the price I've paid.

OMG, what a nasty poster, I am so sorry this has been so costly to your life Pawtucket, you have done such a great service to all that visit here.

Isn't there anything that could be done rather than close it down to posting?  Couldn't there be one person or a group of persons that could moderate the goings on here without loosing the heart & soul of this place?

Sounds like you have a bad case of burnout, Brother Paw. Can't say that I blame you for that one bit. We can be an unruly bunch sometimes, and God knows lots of people have a better idea for how they think GSC should be run, no matter how much this site has helped them.

I hope you'll reconsider, but you have to do what's best for you.

now I see,

I got complaints when there weren't enough moderators. Then I got complaints when I fixed the problem!! Then some smart foot was demanding that the mods not have two identities!!! I tried that and it did not work, people crucified them.

Heck, there's a site for people that want to trash this place, how's them apples!!

Sounds like it's enough to make you pull your hair out...One of your great qualities is your patience and longsuffering, that's kind of what makes this website so great.  You aren't selfish, you didn't turn this into a cash cow, you haven't ruled with an iron fist, and you tried to be fair to everyone, and have been considerate to all sides.

From what you said, I think you need to untangle your life from this web site though, I have seen other websites do well when managed completely by a moderator group, and I've seen websites that have done well when sold or passed on to others.  Is there not anyone that fits those two categories that could carry on without you?

I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy!!! I have emails giving me specific directions to hell, for crying out loud. I'm willing to give a lot and lose a lot for this place, but when you lose that which matters, you are but a spinning wheel.

Depending on what you want to do, you could continue to host it and turn the administration of the forums onto others entirely, or look at seeing if anyone else wants to take it over completely. I agree with others that say there are valuable things here, although if you are tired you shouldn't suffer so much either.

Out of curiosity, how much traffic does this site get? How about the forums? If it's low enough, we of this site could discuss options if you wanted to turn it over to someone else, and figure out what would make the most people happy.

Obviously, you can't please everyone, so it's just a matter of letting it slide. Obviously, those that are giving you specific directions to hell can do so based on their own trip their themselves.

Pawtucket, please take care of yourself first, my friend (I've never met you, but feel fortunate to have known you through this forum).

Yes, you have made lots of sacrifices that few, if any, will ever completely know about, I feel sure.

If it is needed, another forum will present itself under new ownership, imho, the same way that you took over for Waydale.

Peace and love. Peace and love.

I don't believe GSC has jumped the shark. However, I think it is time you closed it down. You have more than paid a debt to society by starting it and running it. It is your turn now. It must be your turn or else you will never get one. Take it.....now.

There are still things that could be said and explored, but if somebody is that adamant.....let them do it. In my heart of hearts I think you know how I feel about you. I'm an "old lady" now. I've worked at a lot of things in a lot of places and I have found with very very rare exception......there is nobody who is so important that he can't be replaced.

Leave the posts as written. Folks can find a huge education here. Lock the door on your way out and toss the key in the ocean so you're not tempted to take it back. Your blood pressure does not need this. (not that you have high blood pressure....it was just an example). You don't need any more ulcers. You deserve to sleep a full 8 hours at night. You deserve to spend your own money how you like. You deserve a chick.

I'm sorry if folks get offended at what I've said. If you do get offended....then YOU are the ones who should take over the full running and funding of this site!

From where I stand, it seems that GSC has become your prison. It's high time you were paroled! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it .

I love you Pawtucket!

Edited by krysilis

Nothing that you can do. I think that I need a time machine.
will a Tardis do? :offtopic: Paw, sorry you are experiencing burn-out. Wishing you and the others joyous holidays.

Jumping The Shark

Jumping the shark is a colloquialism used by TV critics and fans to denote that point in a TV show or movie series' history where the plot veers off into absurd story lines or out-of-the-ordinary characterizations, particularly for a show with falling ratings apparently becoming more desperate to draw viewers in. In the process of undergoing these changes, the TV or movie series loses its original appeal. Shows that have "jumped the shark" are typically deemed to have passed their peak.

Origin

The phrase refers to a scene in a three-part episode of the American TV series, Happy Days, first broadcast on September 20, 1977. In the third of the three parts of the "Hollywood" episode, Fonzie (Henry Winkler), wearing swim trunks and his trademark leather jacket, jumps over a penned-in shark while water skiing.

Even before "jumping the shark" was employed as a pop culture term, the episode in question was cited many times as an example of what can happen to otherwise high-quality shows when they stay on the air too long in the face of waning interest....

...The phrase has been used more recently outside the realm of popular culture, representing anything that has reached its peak and has declined in quality.

Fonzie jumps the shark

200px-Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG

Edited by mstar1

Paw

I have watched you been trashed, smashed and hashed and you just kept giving "here".

I could have never done what you do as I would be inclined to drive to their homes and kick some azz. You have been forgiving, patient, generous and kind. I wonder each year how does he do THIS?

I would hate to see this bite the dusty trail. IS there anyone who has the patience to do this? Evan?

If you must go, I would want you to know, your efforts has changed my life and given me GOD back in an unalterated way. I am analytical so the "forget it and move on stuff" never works for me. I must see the trick, I must understand "why" and you provided that here with the "truth knowers" whom has spoken up.

You have reunited me with old friends.

You have allowed me to "fall apart" when my life was eaten by turmiol and you always did the best you could do.

You have dealt with drunks, punks, nuts, meanies, the abused, the abusers, those desiring to be free and those that will not be free. You have done it here, you have done it well and allowed God to release us.

I am thankful.

I hope you stay.

If not, I wish you the best in life. You allowed me to grow and be rid of bondage that would have haunted me unto death. You have a ministry and you have ministered here to (us) me.

Thank you.

Greasespot has been so good for so many, but if it's causing you to miss out on your own life then it makes no sense for you to continue. You've provided an outstanding service to thousands and by now, especially, it should be almost nothing but joy for you.

Is it possible for you to turn over the responsibilities to others so you can relax and live your life at least a few days a week? Maybe every other week? With more moderators is it possible to turn over the e-mails to someone with thick skin who can sort of screen them and forward to you only what you need to see? Do you really need to read insane remarks that are only sent to hurt you when they really should be thanking you and asking what they can do to contribute to the good work here? If there's anything I can do, just name it.

I've heard of a few posters who whine and complain about details here, yet they continue to show up every day and soak up the good with one hand and dump their crap with the other. Apparently they have no shame. Some people will never be happy, no matter what you do. I don't get how they do that and live with themselves, but it takes all kinds...

You deserve to live your life the way you want to. If this site has taken that away from you then I say close it down.

That there's a site for trashing this site is not only sick, but mean. Do these people have no life at all? I'm sorry to hear this. I have always felt that GS and Waydale before it was a community of people I loved meeting in person and loved raising my family alongside.

I'd miss GS terribly, but if it's making your life miserable then I see no point in you continuing. Like someone else said, surely somebody else is capable of overseeing the site.

I say do what's best for you. If you don't put you first nobody else will.

Thank you for all the years you've given us.

Paw,

I'm with Krysilis, waterbuffalo, P-Mosh, etc., on this. You gotta take care of yourself and family _first_, even over Greasespot Cafe. Without a doubt.

You, my man, make Job look pitiful in the patience dept. :o Many of us (*including* yours truly) have acted like spoiled brats, treating GS like we're entitled to it. That may or may not have been what we thought or intended to begin with, but a lot of our actions sure as hell conveyed that. How many of us, if we were in your place, would have thrown the aforementioned spoiled brats out on their (cyber) ears for even the first or 2nd transgressions? Most of us would have, methinks (including, like I said before, yours truly).

Why not just set up a static site re: TWI and splinter groups. My Gawd, all the search engines must love Greasespot hitwise, as it just about *always* comes up on the first page whenever someone types in "The Way International" in the search field, so people trying to find this info provides --zip-- of a problem. Make the site to where it takes a very _minimal_ amount of time to maintain (ohhh like 5 minutes per year). And any of us who wants to whine and bellyache about "Paw's abandoning us!!!", ... well, we need to get an f'ing life and grow up! :realmad: (Besides, Paw's moniker didn't make him our surrogate father now, did it?)

Or, you can shut this site down _entirely_. :evilshades: It's all up to you.

Sir, you and your motivation to help us ex-Wayfers goes above and beyond the call of duty, and as far as I'm concerned, should earn you Sainthood :who_me: (sorry MarkOMalley, for using a Catholic ritual to illustrate this point, but that's my take upon Paw's contribution to this world.) If you have come to the point of saying "That is IT. That's ALL. ... Final call to the bar folks, cuz' I'm gonna close this place TODAY!!", ... _none_ of us has the right to say _anything_ in complaint. ... At ALL.

And I say all of this in truth. So, from me, I say "Thank you, live long, and Prosper!" :dance:

(Garth stands up and salutes Paw) salute.gif

Edited by GarthP2000