GreaseSpot Cafe

Fruited Crepes

gc

I love baking goodies, I've done it for years. I'm now married to a man who had diabetes. I'm always looking for sweets that are low sugar or no sugar.

Anyway, about two weeks ago it was Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and here in England it was Pancake Day. They are celebrated for the same reason. Everyone here cooks pancakes at some time in the day. So, in the spirit of things, I cooked up some crepes and filled them with fruit. They tasted really good and only had a couple of teaspoons of sugar in them and looked pretty too.

Fruited Crepes

Ingredients:

8 crepes (crepe recipe to follow)

3 bananas sliced thinly

½ pint strawberries cleaned and sliced thinly

small pot of light yogurt with fruit, single size container (a little over a cup)

whipped cream (recipe to follow)

cinnamon

Make the crepes keeping the finished ones in a slightly warm oven. In a medium sized mixing bowl mix sliced bananas, strawberries and yogurt. There should be enough bananas and strawberries in the mix so that the yogurt just covers them. Lay a crepe on a plate open flat, browned side down. With a spoon spread some of the yogurt mix across the center of the crepe. Then, fold the top end of the crepe right past the center just covering some of the yogurt mix. Next, fold the bottom end of the crepe up past the center so that it over laps the top fold. Top with yogurt mix, then a dollop of fresh whipped cream, sprinkle with cinnamon.

Crepes:

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour

1 ½ cups milk

2 eggs

1 tablespoon salad oil

Salt

In a bowl, combine all ingredients and ¼ teaspoon salt; beat till smooth. Lightly grease a skillet or crepe pan; heat. Remove from heat; spoon in about 2 tablespoons of batter. Spread batter evenly. Return to heat; brown on one side only. To remove, invert pan over paper toweling. Repeat with remaining batter to make 16 crepes, greasing pan occasionally if necessary.

I made larger crepes than what they describe, and when removing them from the pan they slid right out onto a paper towel once I loosened them in the pan.

Fresh Whipped Cream:

½ pt of fresh double cream

½ tsp vanilla

2 teaspoons of sugar

In a small bowl, using an electric mixer and the whisk attachment, mix all ingredient until you have a stiff whipped topping. It gets hard pretty quickly. Now you are ready for your dollop of cream.

Easy Peasy, as the English say!

gc :)

This recipe is from Nigella. . .

Ricotta Hotcakes

9 ounces (1 cup plus 2 Tbsp ricotta cheese)

½ cup low fat milk

2 large eggs, separated

¾-1 cup all-purpose flour (add more to make batter thicker if necessary)

1 tsp baking powder

Pinch salt

Canola oil for the cooking the cakes o the griddle

Add ricotta, milk, and egg yolks into a bowl and mix well to combine. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt, and gently whisk to make a smooth batter.In a glass or metal bowl, whisk egg whites until they become foamy, then fold them into the ricotta mixture.

Heat the oil on a griddle or large frying pan. Pour batter onto the griddle. Cook for about 1 minute until golden, then flip and cook another minute. Keep the cooked hotcakes warm by tenting them with foil on a large warmed plate, while you make the rest.\

Peaches and nectarines in honey syrup. . . .

¾ cup water

1/8 cup good honey

2 Tbsp sugar

A few dashes each of ground cinnamon and nutmeg

¼ tsp pure vanilla extract

1 large ripe peach, sliced

1 large rip nectarine, sliced

Combine the water, honey , and sugar in a pot. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Continue to simmer for 3-5 minutes. Add the peaches and nectarines, lower heat to a simmer, and cook for about 6-8 minutes, until fruit is soft but not mushy. The syrup should start to reduce and thicken a bit. Allow to cool slightly before adding to the hotcakes.

When ready, place hotcakes on a plate, layering with cooking fruit and drizzling with more of the honey syrup. Garnish with a couple of slices of ripe but uncooked fruit slices, if desired.

OR you can try a Thyme-Infused Syrup like the Paula Deen recipe suggests for Ricotta Pancakes. . .

1 cup of sugar

1 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch

2 cups of water

20 stems of fresh thyme

In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch with a whisk. Gradually add water, whisking until combined. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, and boil for 2 minutes.

Add thyme stems, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain, discarding thyme stems. Cool completely. Can be refrigerated up to 3 weeks.

Edited by geisha779

Traditionally in the UK pancakes on Shrove Tuesday are eaten with fresh orange juice squeezed over them, and a sprinkle of sugar. Or squeeze a fresh lemon over instead of the orange.

But actually, they are really nice as a wrap for fresh fruit, as GC says.

I had some particularly refreshing ones last summer (very hot) - the pancakes were wrapped round slices of fresh and juicy watermelon. The crunchiness was lovely.

GC - from my sister who has a husband with severe type 2 diabetes...

I honestly don't use any cookbooks with regard to diabetes. I usually just convert recipes using mostly Splenda as a sugar substitute. You can go on Splenda's web site and get recipes also. If they want to use it in baking, you need about 1/3 sugar though or your stuff won't rise. Also, you can use apple juice concentrate but there are still plenty of natural sugars in there. One of the biggest things to do though, is replace all carbs with whole grain carbs. We use whole wheat pasta or Ronzoni makes one called Smart Pasta I think. It comes in a purple box but is white pasta. It doesn't raise the glucose levels much. Whole wheat pizza is OK, best we've found is California Pizza Kitchen crust. They even have whole grain white breads too if they aren't into whole wheat.

Other "trades" are well known - for instance pickles and hot peppers are no trade - you can eat all you want. I've always eaten well at my sister's place - the food is good, wholesome, tastes great etc etc. No stigmas or weird stuff - just good food that is OK for someone who has to shoot up 5 times a day.

Thanks Rum, that was nice of you, I appreciate the info! I love making pizza, but have never made a wholewheat crust. Tell your sister that I will check the splenda site out, thanks!

gc

Edited by gc

I'm always looking for sweets that are low sugar or no sugar.

I don't know the first thing about baking but always interested in sugar free goodies.

I use 3 items regularly:

Canned fruit cocktail sweetened with splenda.

Tastycake Sugar Free Finger Cakes (100 calories per cake)

Jello Sugar Free Pudding (Dark Chocolate and Cinnamon Rice Pudding), 80 calories.

The above items are delicious.

If you know of more from the shelves please let me know.

Am interested in anything very low carb.

Oldiesman,

:offtopic: About 6 years ago I lost weight on a low carb diet. One of the things I used to have every once in awhile was a rootbeer float. It was soooo good! Breyers have a low carb ice cream. I would get the vanilla and then Waist Watchers diet rootbeer. No carbs.

A small scoop of the ice cream(Made with Splenda)and the rootbeer in a tall glass was such a great low carb and sugar free treat.

The other thing I would do was cream cheese in celery sticks for an evening snack. Fruit 2..0

is a great drink made with Splenda. Their grape is really good.

Slimfast has a peanut butter and chocolate low carb bar that is really yummy and very filling.

Russels has low carb chocolates made with Splenda. . . they are really good.

I have more :) . . . I lost weight and learned to live with less carbs. You can get relly creative with the low carb sugar free diet.

What helps me maintain a good weight now is avoiding empty calories. I had to learn to eat healthy. Now, sugar and processed foods taste really bad to me. I feel better eating healthy!!

Thanks, I'll try the low carb ice cream sometime.

I have had sugar free ice pops.

I also use the EAS Myoplex low carb shakes. 17g protein, 4g carb, and 110 calories. Excellent.

I get them at Walmart and they are only $1.50 each.

For additional snacks, I use a product by Kay Naturals called high protein chips and their pretzel sticks.

They are only 120 calories per serving, but 10g protein and 10g carb, which is an excellent ratio.

High protein/low carb bars are excellent too, but I always look out for high carbs. More than 26g per bar is probably too much. 10-15g is better.

I do not know how anyone can deal with the texture of those Myoplex shakes. Granted they contain as much protein as a 6 oz steak but that stuff is just like sucking mucus through a straw - I don't care how cold you make them...

I also use the EAS Myoplex low carb shakes. 17g protein, 4g carb, and 110 calories. Excellent.

Tried all the flavors - didn't matter. I drink the Atkins shakes which are nowhere near as comprehensive as the Myoplex but I can suck them down quickly without feeling like I am sucking on a rats nose until its head caves in.

Thanks for the hint though.

I don't know the first thing about baking but always interested in sugar free goodies.

I use 3 items regularly:

Canned fruit cocktail sweetened with splenda.

Tastycake Sugar Free Finger Cakes (100 calories per cake)

Jello Sugar Free Pudding (Dark Chocolate and Cinnamon Rice Pudding), 80 calories.

The above items are delicious.

oldiesman, I've never on purpose bought low calorie, low sugar and low carb pre-packaged food for myself, I usually don't like the taste, except for the low sugar icecreams. But, I have bought sugar free chocolates before for someone else. I never buy the packaged type in grocery stores because of the nasty after taste. But, I do like the hand made chocolates that you get from a candy shop. If you don't bake, then my solution to low sugar, low carb, low fat, low calorie treats, the best I've ever tasted, is a ripe pear or fresh cherries. To me fruit is the best you can get for a sweet tooth treat if you can't bake a no sugar cheese cake! :)

If you have a blender and know how to use it, then what I have made for years as a healthy treat especially when my son was a child is a type of shake.

Ingredients I like to use:

icecream, low fat and low sugar, low anything they offer as long as it has a decent taste

2 bananas, and/or a handful of blueberries, strawberries or any fruit that you think will mix in a blender. I bet mango would work

milk

ice cubes, just a couple to make sure everything is good and cold

uncooked oatmeal, a handful or so

grape nut cereal (not the flake type), maybe about 1/2 a cup or

drop or two of vanilla or almond extract, but not necessary

yogurt, with live bacteria, single serving size

I'm guessing from memory on the amounts as I've never measured any of it or written measurements down, I've just made it up as I went along.

Into the blender: Crush the ice, then add icecream, chopped fruit, milk, yogurt, extract, oatmeal, grapenut cereal in this order mixing between each addition. Once it looks like a shake and everything is good and chopped and mixed, pour into a large glass.

You can change it around and add all kinds of things that are good for you and tasty.

The oatmeal is good for your heart and keeping your cholesteral level low

yogurt helps with digestion and helps you combat harmful bacteria

grape nut cereal gives a nutty flavor to it, uses glucose as sweetner instead of sucrose

Rum, if I ever had a thought of buying a Myoplex shake just to try it, its now gone! :)

gc

Edited by gc

Oldiesman

Jiff(I think) has a low carb peanut butter. It is really good on celery sticks for a snack. Atkins has a low carb breakfast cereal. Their granola bar is really good. I agree. . . anything Atkins is good. Maybe it was because I was always looking for variety!!

They have some low carb breads around, but that was a once in awhile thing.

EAS has great low carb bars. I loved their brownie bars.

The fruit is a nice idea, but full of natural sugar, so if you are eating low carb for weight loss. . . be careful.

Now, each morning I have a smoothie with fresh orange juice(2 medium oranges) 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries, Pomegrante, grape, and cherry juice(all 100% organic) a slice of kiwi and mango. . . . a few flax seeds and something called Mind Drink added(Acai berry, mangosteen, goji. . .) It is made by Ultra international and excellent stuff.

Lunch is usually salad and I juice some veggies and add a whole food supplement. It is called Soul Food and really full of good stuff. All natural.

I try to get as many nutrients I can.

You should check out the low carb peanut butter. .. . .usually it is in any good sized grocery store.

Yes I do have the natural peanut butters but try to stay away from any sugar added to them.

Also have yogurt every day, but only use the lite yogurts like Colombo and Dannon.

I try to stay away from fruit juices because of all the high carbs, but I do use V-8 Vegetable Juice.

Yes I agree that eating a limited amount fruit is good ... and too much fruit and you run into the carb issue again.

But one apple or one banana for a snack is very good.

I also use Crystal Lite drink.

I have totally abandoned carbonated soda.. I think a total waste ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

English bangers? The sort you have with mash and thick gravy - that's brown gravy with water and flour, not milk and flour!

Or bangers as in what you have on 5 November - Boom! Bang! Along with all the other fireworks?

No, never tried bangers of any sort with pancakes. Though strangely I have had bacon with what I guess you might call a "short stack" of fatter pancakes/crepes.

This year it will be pancakes with fresh orange juice and sugar. And maybe some other interesting things as well. Yum.

English bangers? The sort you have with mash and thick gravy - that's brown gravy with water and flour, not milk and flour!

Yes dear - English bangers - the ones that I can eat like 4 of with mash and peas.