GreaseSpot Cafe

Another GS Friend reunion

ex10

I just wanted to say howdy from Twinky's house! My younger daughter and I have crossed the pond for a friend visit. She has a lovely home, in a beautiful town. We are on our way out to explore the sights of this ancient city. Cheers.

So glad to have ex10 and other guests present.

We are having a good time with Brit hospitality.

We have also made the acquaintance of ... quite a few bottles of wine... hic!

We have not got to my local 16th century pub yet (that had been scheduled for tonight, but we got distracted by the roast pork and wine at home) but that's a visit on the agenda for Saturday evening.

(hic)

Well, we just got home. A pint of cider in the garden, and another pint inside under the thick oak beams.

Ex10 enjoyed it very much. So did I.

To get to the pub is a short stroll of about 1/2 mile. I go through fields - there is another way via roads. Then we wandered back by starlight through some different fields. All very nice.

I will leave Ex10 to tell you about her thoughts. But it#'s a nice "local" pub in a country village. It's not a town pub and it definitely isn't a "bar" in the US sense of a drinking establishment.

(edited for spelling which after a couple of pints leaves a little to be desired. Well it's not so much the spelling as the typing.)

Edited by Twinky

I will leave Ex10 to tell you about her thoughts. But it#'s a nice "local" pub in a country village. It's not a town pub and it definitely isn't a "bar" in the US sense of a drinking establishment.

Ayep - I know what you're talking about - I have no use for US style bars - give me a good friendly pub - no live music - just good friends having an ale or two (or three, or four,...)

No Tv. No live music. No piped music. No video games. No "fruit machine" / poker machine / slot machine, call it what you will. Just a tiny little pub with a nice garden to sit out in in the summer, and a huge open fire in the winter. And always, a friendly welcome.

And excellent beer, cider, and meals.

No carpets on the floor, just stone flags. The walls are 18" thick. There are wooden shutters at the windows. There are thick oak beams holding up the ceilings. The doors into the two drinking rooms are heavy, thick oak, and probably less than 6 foot in height.

Sounds twee but it's all authentic. It's just what a very old Cotswold pub is like.

Ex10 has gone back to the US today and I miss her already. The house seems very empty without her company.

I came, I saw, I met the cats. ;)

I'm sorry I didn't have my camera along for pictures of the pub. I'll have to wait for you to send my #2 daughter home for the pics she took.

Your town is so beautiful, Twinky. Four days was hardly enough time to experience it all. The theatre in London with the fancy dinner afterwards was fun, but I really enjoyed being at your house much more than the big city. And of course seeing my friends in the North was just as thrilling, but again, not long enough.

So many places, so little time.

Looks like they've upgraded their website:

http://www.packhorseinn.com/index.html

May menu looks mouthwatering...hmm, pass the cider.

Ex10, do I need to confess to you about what #2 daughter and I have been doing? No, better not.

post-1745-1243299487.jpg

No carpets on the floor, just stone flags.

Sounds twee but it's all authentic. It's just what a very old Cotswold pub is like.

You probably thought you were being cagey, but I've got "English/American" translation software downloaded to my desktop, so I was able to crack your cunningly devised code...