GreaseSpot Cafe

Easy Movie Quotes

In the vein of "Songs remembered from just one line" I thought I'd add one for films. The idea here is that a line from a film is so memorable that it immediately identifies the film. (In lieu of a single line, a short exchange between characters is acceptable.) The movie itself, of course,should be fairly well-known. For example, if I give the line: "Be good, be gone, or be dead." anyone who has seen "Traxx" would immediately recognize it. Unfortunately, very few people have seen "Traxx," so it wouldn't be a fair clue for this game.

The burden here is on the clue-giver. You are not trying to be tricky, but to be as obvious as possible. Note that some movies may have a LOT of usable one-liners. As usual, first to name the flick gets to post the next line.

George

Dooj you are having the same problems on this thread that I am. A lot of folks here really seem to know their movies. I watch trash or else stuff way off the beaten path. Trash is probably easy but already well covered; the other stuff ends up being not so obvious per the rules here. No doubt some folks here have watched the movie "The Professional" but what one line would you slurp out of that movie that makes it obvious what movie you were referring to?!?!?!

Maybe WW and some of the other experts here secretly work for Netflix and started this thread to motivate us to watch more movies.

Actually, I started this thread because in the "Name That Flick" thread there were lines that would come to me for a film which I thought would be too obvious. So, to make it more challenging, I would dig up less obvious quotes, and if necessary, eventually give the easy one(s).

As I mentioned in the opening post, there are movies out there for which certain lines might be giveaways but which had a small enough viewership to make it obscure, anyway. (The quintessential example being "Traxx.") Is "Slap Shot" in that category? I don't know. (Even I saw the movie a long time ago, but remember almost nothing about it.) You're generally more likely to get a quick hit with a a more well-known movie, though a good quote might get you there even for a less-well-known film. Note that WW got "Risky Business" without having seen the film, after I gave the right quote.

As far as responding is concerned, I suggest putting a question mark after your answer, if you're unsure of its correctness. If you know you have the right answer, go ahead and post another one.

George

Interesting. For me, something like "Fish sticks on Wednesday" or "Qantas...never had an accident." would have been giveaway lines, but not "K-Mart sucks." All a matter of perspective. I agree that Dooj gave up too early. As I did with "Risky Business," try another line if the first doesn't click. "Rain Man" was definitely a well-known film. Definitely. ;)

Steve!, why don't you give it a go?

George

There ya' go, Dooj!

"Jerry Maguire."

"No one ever won a war by dying for his country. You win by making the OTHER son-of-a-b--- die for HIS country!"

George

"Patton"

"Houston we have a problem."

• modcat5 changed the title to Easy Movie Quotes