GreaseSpot Cafe

anyone involved in criminal justice?

batcave

I'm looking at a new career path and am considering criminal justice and/or paralegal. Anyone in criminal justice have any words of wisdom? It's a field that has interested me for a while and I've kept putting off getting info on it. When I went to my 30 year high school reunion recently, I was motivated by the people I talked to who said they really like what they do, and I had to admit I am not one of them. I currently work in a call center working with medical billing.

Just thought some of you might have an insiders view of those fields.

• Upvote 2

I was motivated by the people I talked to who said they really like what they do, and I had to admit I am not one of them.

I have no specific info on criminal justice but on general principal I ALWAYS tell people to find whatever it is that YOU love and stick to it --eventually it will pay off. IMO Life is too short to do otherwise.

Good luck

I am involved with law enforcement having recently gotten certified to handle trustee's on my community garden. woo hoo eh?

State and federal budgets are tight so hiring has slowed but from my insider contacts patience and persistance pays off. It's a high stress exciting job, pay mostly sucks until you get advanced degree's or certification and time on the job.

Good Luck

:)

I worked in a call center for medical billing. What i liked about it was the research, so paralegal is pretty similar. My friend just got certified as a paralegal [she's 40 and a single mom]. Previously she worked 3 part time jobs and one was as a sheriff's dispatcher. She found the chase and the resolution mentally fascinating.

Most people who like what they do like their job for the creativity or the mental challenge. Money may be the driving force for getting a job, it may keep you there, but is never a factor when it comes to feeling fulfilled, productive, or excited about what you do.

The best place to start is to know yourself. One way to do that is to take two psychological profiles:

1. The Meyers Briggs Personality
  2. The Holland Temperment Test

These tests are offered online or at your local junior college.

The first will broaden your horizons [about what could potentially fit you]

The second will narrow your scope [by eliminating a "fit" that you don't have a good temperment for]

Example: there may be a few careers that your personality fits, but your patience level may be a good reason not to do it. You may love working with/around children, but you are not good with them if they're ill. Therefore you'd be better as a teacher or camp leader rather than a pediatric nurse.

Thanks, Rejoice, I've taken the Meyers Briggs but not the other one. I'll check into it.

By the way, Rejoice, the company I work for is named for the Texas founder who ran for president in the late 80's. Is that the same one you worked for?