GreaseSpot Cafe

About Durn Time...

herbiejuan

Been working on this project for the last 7 or 8 years and now it is finally coming to pass. My thanks to Wacky and Shell for listening to me plan plot and gripe my way through the process of making this happen, many thanks to those who are geographically close who did the same (although I doubt they will read this I wanted to say thanks anyways :) )

The WGTC Center for Sustainable Agriculture

The West Georgia Technical College’s Center for Sustainable Agriculture certificate program is designed to teach new and existing growers organic and sustainable farming and land conservation practices. This 6 month program provides approximately 350 hrs classroom instruction and 400 hrs apprenticeship and field work. Course days and hours are Monday through Thursday 9 am till 4 pm.

Developed in partnership with Carroll County, UGA Cooperative Extension, Rolling Hills RC + D Council, Georgia Organics, Cotton Mill Farmers Market and Farmers Fresh CSA this program is specifically geared towards training students to grow for retail and wholesale marketing venues.

Topics covered during the six-month course include:

Introduction to Sustainable Agriculture

Soil Management and Fertility

Soil and Water Conservation Practices

Composting

Farm Management and Marketing

Vegetable Production

Poultry Production: Chickens Ducks Geese

Ruminant Management: Goat Sheep Cattle

Dairy Operations

Fruit + Vineyard Production Practices

Apiary Science

Agriculture Machinery and Equipment

Our instructors are successful farmers with many decades of experience in commercial organic and sustainable farming. We've used this experience to craft a program designed for your success.

Field work includes working at the Buffalo Creek Community Garden, apprenticeship on suitable local farms and development work on Moore’s Bridge Farm a 435 acre farm restoration project located on the Chattahoochee River near Whitesburg, Ga.

You will work with other students and instructors to plan plant cultivate harvest and market produce, learn sustainable animal husbandry practices and utilize a variety of farm equipment including tillers tractors hoes and seeders. This program requires physical exertion and students need to be aware that they are graded not only on classroom skills but also their performance in the field under a variety of weather and working conditions.

Graduates may gain employment on existing farms, establish their own commercial farm or market garden, run community gardens or develop school gardening programs. They may also work in related fields including international aid organizations. Many of our graduates are now running their own successful farms and marketing venues.

Program Cost: $2500

Thank you we are planning a 2 year degree program starting in 2011 but will probably continue to run the 6 month certificate program as there are many who want the training and experience but not necessarily the degree. As the program advances I'll post some pictures.

What is interesting (and ironic) is that the Moores Bridge site was a precivil war farm. A gentleman by the name of Horace King, a freed slave trained in engineering built a toll bridge over the Chattohoochee River which Sherman promptly burned during his 'visit' in Geogia, apparantly this was the only battle fought in Carroll Co., the ironic part is the 1864 house I saved from the bulldozer was the field hospital used to treat the confederate soldiers injured during the skirmish, strange huh...

Thank you we are planning a 2 year degree program starting in 2011 but will probably continue to run the 6 month certificate program as there are many who want the training and experience but not necessarily the degree. As the program advances I'll post some pictures.

So does your agency own the IP or can you (willing to) post your material for those of us who are interested?

So does your agency own the IP or can you (willing to) post your material for those of us who are interested?

We/I own the site TheGrowersSchool.Org however since we are in transition I've not updated it. The college will post their info when their spring catalogue comes out which will be soon me thinks. Also look for info on Georgia Organics website GeorgiaOrganics.Org

Also LocalHarvest.Org will have info when the dates are finalized

• 1 month later...

Well we went from the now 500 acre site to a 300 acre site elsewhere and now we are back at the 500 acre site...my head is spinning :blink: but I have been given a budget (which under the current economic circumstances is surreal) but I get to spend somebody elses $ lololol!!!!! :P

Well we went from the now 500 acre site to a 300 acre site elsewhere and now we are back at the 500 acre site...my head is spinning :blink: but I have been given a budget (which under the current economic circumstances is surreal) but I get to spend somebody elses $ lololol!!!!! :P

Congratulations Mike,

I know you've put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this for a long time.

Thanks ya'll, I'm not so sure it was hard work so much as patient persistance and being at the right place at the right time with the right answer/idea/presentation/project...The buy in from the community is pretty cool, we've got buy ins from everyone in the county it seems, heck the last 3 groups of commissioners have supported the idea of a local stable food supply and the importance of developing the counties farm based economy. The fact that there are 7 million people within 100 miles of Carroll Co AND the fact that Georgians spend 20 Billion a year on food vs producing only 4 billion has helped to make people aware of the economic development implications this project implies.

Several of us walked the Moores Bridge site Monday and we have identified two suitable locations for crops and grazing (60 acres) one site for smaller (1 acre) raised bed hobby garden and about 12 acres suitable for the vineyard experiment station (there was a thriving wine industry in the area before prohibition) I'm also going to put in an orchard and olive trees.

If any of you saw that fine 2008 film, The Conjuror, the barn used in the film is located on the property and we'll make use of it(hopefully no spirits are hanging around), HBO is making a movie about Lewis and Clark on site, they will be building downtown St Louis toward the bottom of the property, mayhaps I'll hang around the set long enough and get discovered... :spy:

• 1 month later...

Ladeedaa...government, higher education...arrrggghhhh!!!

Ok so we won't start this spring but (apparently) this fall grants are coming in, the curriculum is finished BUT...a local farmer MAY donate his farm to the program IF we can keep his money grubbing heirs out of the picture...keep yer fingers crossed, I'm going on vacation !!

Hi Mike, glad you stopped by for an update, I sure pray for this with you, as you know.

Your frustration here is evident and I've sure understood that as you've journey'd this one all these years.........gak!

By the by, hollar at me soon, will ya? I need some more confusion in my own head about grants blah blah and oh shi+. confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Really wonderful to talk to you this morning! Didn't know I missed our chats as much until we got to catch up. Hopefully we won't let so much time go between them again.

Thanks for info to move forward on my own non profit journey; I get a little more and more each time you explain it. Will be digging further and will have even more questions next time. smile.gif

Your unconditional support to me and my girls is always so very appreciated and valued even more 'cuz you've been there and have an ugly tshirt or four to show for the pain, understanding, learning and 'oh shi+'s' that have brought you to today.

And tomorrow.

Be well, my wonderful friend.

Hit a thrift store for a coffee pot while you're down there! Some things are just more important than others. Enjoy the pool time and return relaxed and refreshed. It won't be long and I will be hollaring for more push, more information, more support, more kleenex.

wave.gif Oh yeah and continue to keep me in mind when CNN shows up, I'm almost ready.

Leave a light on, I'm close to a couple of edges. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Shellon

• 2 weeks later...

LOL good chatting with ya too, the bathroom light is always on unless its daytime in which case ya gots to find it all on yer own :)

I finally found the coffee pot after day two, sure was nice to enjoy a cup of java without having to walk 2 blocks to the local Tom Thumb...

I reckon CNN and the others will show up eventually, prolly once the program gets going, just remember I've brought in 9 partners for this venture, ranging from the county government to the local hospital to schools etc, tho to be fair it was "US" that brought them together.

Anyways take care and enjoy the spring weather.

LOL good chatting with ya too, the bathroom light is always on unless its daytime in which case ya gots to find it all on yer own smile.gif

I finally found the coffee pot after day two, sure was nice to enjoy a cup of java without having to walk 2 blocks to the local Tom Thumb...

I reckon CNN and the others will show up eventually, prolly once the program gets going, just remember I've brought in 9 partners for this venture, ranging from the county government to the local hospital to schools etc, tho to be fair it was "US" that brought them together.

Anyways take care and enjoy the spring weather.

Thanks for leaving the bathroom light on ! LOL

And yup, regardless of the partners and the ranges, "we" deserve the lions share of the credit for all the late night laughing, bi+ching, pondering and "oh crap" moments to get this thing to here and now.

I'm very proud of you, you know that! And frankly, the ride has been an interesting one, hasn't it? Moment of fame or no, I don't care, I just love that it's actually happening!

Leave the porch light on too eh?

• 2 weeks later...

The porch light is on however I am worried that the stuff in my fridge will go bad so get yer arse down here before the milk sours;

Fame...sometimes I think its over rated, all the damn work, worry and uncertainty that goes into treading the road not taken...

Edited by herbiejuan

• 2 weeks later...

The porch light is on however I am worried that the stuff in my fridge will go bad so get yer arse down here before the milk sours;

Good thing I don't like milk eh? I'll hollar when I can take a drive. Thanks!

Edited by Shellon