GreaseSpot Cafe

Favorite Christmas music

Last night my daughter sang in our town's Symphony's production of Handel's Messiah. It was so moving and uplifting, inspiring, etc.

I think that Messiah has got to be my all time favorite Christmas music, even though I listen to it all year long.

Next to that, Andrea Boccelli singing Panus Angelicus, and Celine Dion's Ave Maria remind me of Christmases past, and bring back many warm memories.

So what are your favorite Christmas tunes??

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Amy Grant's Breath of Heaven is at the top of my list as well. Very moving at a candlelit Christmas Eve service.

What gets you in the holiday mood?

Greensleeves is always a good one, as is carol of the bells.

However, I'd like to personally run over those "Manheim Steamroller" guys with a real steamroller. I don't really like their music much, but the advertisements are played once every set of commercials this time of the year, and their almost TWI-like "rock" music is pretty lame.

I was just waiting for someone to start this one!

Ok - Nana Mouskouri's Ave Maria.

And of course all of the Bing Crosby's Christmas Album.

And of course, Nat King Cole's Christmas album!

And of course, Charlie Brown's Christmas album! (great for you jazz lovers).

And I love, Jingle Bell Rock (I think that's what it's called - my kids love it - they dance around the living room when it plays!)

'til the next time...

Burl Ives, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, NSync, (yeah I have to put them in too!)

My favorite verse from 'I Never Knew the Meaning of Christmas',

...I never knew the meaning of Christmas

'Till you came into my life

I was lost in the dark

'Till you opened my heart

Like an angel shining bright

I wished on a star

And girl there you are

Suddenly I realize that

I never knew the meaning of Christmas

'Till I looked into your eyes...

awwwwwww

(I'm sappy and I know it!)

Kay1952

"Toy Symphony" by Carl Reineke.

I taped it off the radio one Christmas eve,

while I was gift-wrapping. I haven't seen it released on CD yet. But it's very nice stuff.

Soundtrack to "It's a Wonderful Life" (Dmitri Tiomkin) and "A Christmas Carol" (R. Addisell) (Sundance Film Music, vol.1; the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra). It kind of reminds me of stuff from "The Twilight Zone".

"Fantasia on Christmas Carols" by Ralph Vaughn Williams, on a "Weekend Classics" budget CD, that included "Fantasia on Greensleeves" and "The Lark Ascending".

I believe that "Panus Angelicus" is the most beautiful melody every written. It use to bring my grandmother to tears. Now it brings me to tears because it reminds me of my grandmother. I was told as a kid that it was the "official" song of the Catholic Church. I don't know if that's true or not.

My favorite Christmas songs: Bing Crosby and the Andrew Sisters, Perry Como, Burl Ives, Nat King Cole and Dean Martin.

acd

a few of my favorites include:

"It came upon a midnight clear"

"Do you hear what i hear"

"Oh little town of bethlehem"

"Oh Holy Nite"

As an aside. . .

I also like watching a good performance of the "Nutcracker Suite" with my little ones sitting on my lap.

And I enjoy watching "It's a Wonderful Life."

Per

[This message was edited by Peruser on December 10, 2002 at 18:47.]

Cheech N' Chong's tale of Santa Claus.

"And he gave a little of that magic dust to the reindeer, man. And he gave himself a little magic dust, and gave himself a little more magic dust, .... a little more ... and a little more ..."

"Oh wow, man, I know the dude! I jammed with him at this one joint." "Ohh no, man!"

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

Garth,

I see you're being light hearted about the topic. That's OK but I'll post anyways.. my favorite Christmas songs are "O Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" with its somber minor key and "What Child Is This?" with it's 12th century flavor.

I'm posting my favorite contemporary tune that brings both mirth to the heart and a tear to the eye. It's the lyrics more than the tune, really. Click HERE! but if you have a slow dial up connection click HERE! though the quality isn't as good.

sudo

Without a doubt..Bing singing White Christmas

after that: Winter Wonderland, Chestnuts Roasting, Silver Bells, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus....

what can I say? I LOVE the classics!!!!!

Sudo...ROFLMAO!!!!!! I LOVE that song!!! Blasted it onna speakers in my home!!!! Who knows...my kids may sing it in school tomorrow!!! (I'll blame YOU, of course...muhahaha)

Ex10,

Re:"If I didn't know you, I might wonder about you."

Oh, I'm soooo sorry. I thought you knew. Nothing like the feel of soft silk against the skin, huh?

So you're maybe looking for a more serious representation of our modern Christmas times?? I just feel so bad that I destroyed your nice thread so click HERE! to hear what we all have really come to know and love about modern Christmas songs.

sudo

Besides Handel's "Messiah" and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing "Gloria in Excelsis Deo", I love the smooth jazz GRP Christmas CD collection. Dave Grusin, Nelson Rangell, David Benoit, Lee Ritenour, Diana Krall and the like.

I also have a very cool Christmas album by a group called "Wind Machine" and another by "Acoustic Alchemy".

But of the radio played Christmas songs, my very favorite is Springsteen singing "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town"!

Hope R. color>size>face>

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Sudo,

That last song didn't get the rave reviews and all-out merriment of your last diddy....but if you can come up with an xmas song about ex's, I predict you will take the prize this holiday season!!!!

The merriest of xmasses to you and yours, Sudo!!!

Chinny and the chinettes

My daughter likes the tape with the cats and dogs singing Christmas songs. But it freaks out our cats. My favorite fractured song is Deck the Halls with Poison Ivy...

Deck the halls with poisin ivy.

Gah-ah-ah-ah-aah, Ga-ah-ah-ah!

Tis' the season to be itchy.

Gah-ah-ah-ah-aah, Ga-ah-ah-ah!

With Ivy Dry and Calomine lotion,

Gah-ah-ah! Gah-ah-ah! Ah, ah Ahhhhh!

Tis the season to be itchy.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, haaa, ha, ha, ha, haaa!

I just bought Mitch Miller's Holiday CD off eBay - have been sort of looking for it for years, as it's an album my mom played every year... Can't wait til it arrives! I'm not in the mood for the Chipmunks yet.

Of course, I'll start playing Elvis' Christmas album (CD) this weekend...

Have been listening to a local station on the radio that plays all Christmas stuff every couple days for a few hours at a time, but not quite all day yet.

I enjoy a variety including most everything that's been mentioned so far.

My personal favorite Christmas song (which I NEVER tire of) is Bruce Springsteen singing Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

I just heard his Merry Christmas on the radio today for the first time and it's great, but I love his Santa Claus is Coming to Town the most of them all, year after year.

My daughter really laughs at how excited I get when it comes on the radio. This year, she has taken to imitating me - as if that'll stop me!!!

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town... as performed by The Boss

Gimmie All Your Loving... by ZZTop as recorded in "The Santa ClausE" sta**ing Tim Allen ... jeesh how would ya figure that one would become a Christmas Song???

Any Christmas song by Louis Armstrong, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Harry Conick, Jr., etc...

And of course... "God Rest Ye Mellow Gentlemen"...

Santa Claus is coming to town...

Little Drummer Boy (I'm such a mush when I hear it **sniff**)

Handel's "Messiah," esp. the Hallelujah Chorus

Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel

But my favorite these days is a song by John Gorka called "Christmas Bells," lyrics by Longfellow:

"I heard the bells on Christmas Day

Their old familiar carols play

Wild and sweet the words repeat

Of 'Peace on earth, good will to men.'"