• Mid-Atlantic
    • Southeast
    • Midwest
    • Southwest
    • Northwest
    • West Coast
    • Canada
    • Europe
  3. 3. Would you respond to an anonymous email survey regarding your religious beliefs and involvement in TWI?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I don't know if this has ever been done before but I'm thinking about taking a survey of you forumers. Why? Primarily because I find you to be a very interesting bunch of folks and I'm interested in your thoughts on certain subjects. But the kind of poll I can administer on this thread doesn't allow me to obtain very precise data, nor does it allow me to do statistical analysis of the results.

But for now, I'm really curious about the age distribution in this forum and where you all live.

In the spirit of full disclosure: I'm 51 and live in NY.

Edited by soul searcher

54, Massachusetts

I don't know if this has ever been done before but I'm thinking about taking a survey of you forumers. Why? Primarily because I find you to be a very interesting bunch of folks and I'm interested in your thoughts on certain subjects. But the kind of poll I can administer on this thread doesn't allow me to obtain very precise data, nor does it allow me to do statistical analysis of the results.

I ran across some site about 6 months ago that had a breakdown of the demographics and a lot of stats..I cant find it right at the moment (its 4:30 am!) but its out there somewhere..Maybe Paw knows where it is.

I was surprised at how much info it contained

I'm 29. Home is Florida (US) and Adare (Ireland) Currently in college in NJ

It looks like you didn't enter your info in the poll. :)

I ran across some site about 6 months ago that had a breakdown of the demographics and a lot of stats..

I would love to see that.

Edited by soul searcher

You might find these threads of interest:

Who comes to the Café?

Where are you from?

Doesn’t specifically cover what people may believe now. There was a sort of mini-poll a while back that might have covered some aspects of that. Too wide a topic to categorize easily. You’d have to ask very narrow questions.

One's in About the Way, the other in Open. I bumped 'em both for you, SS.

Doesn’t specifically cover what people may believe now. There was a sort of mini-poll a while back that might have covered some aspects of that. Too wide a topic to categorize easily. You’d have to ask very narrow questions.

One's in About the Way, the other in Open. I bumped 'em both for you, SS.

Thanks, Twinky. Those were very interesting polls. I'll be able to use some that information if I decide to put together a full questionnaire (which at this point I may end up not doing -- 170 views and 10 responses amounts to a 5.9% response rate..and we're only talking three questions!) :(

Why do you want to do a questionnaire, anyway, SS?

I find it very interesting that someone would leave their home to enter a bible ministry -- and even more interesting that they should leave. Until August 2009 I had no idea about the skeletons in the TWI's closet. So I'm interested in a) why you all went in and b) why you all left. I've read many individual stories on this forum but, being a researcher, I like to quantify things.

Also, since I'm evolving in my spiritual beliefs I'm interested in how you all have evolved.

I also find it interesting that all of the born-again Christians I know personally were Catholic at one time.

Edited by soul searcher
  • Upvote 1

I answered the poll.

Minnesota by way of Indiana.

Oh yea - - - born and raised Catholic too.

Here's a recent joke I heard about Catholics. On a Banjo forum. I got a chuckle out of it:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lent, Moose. and Codfish

Each Friday night after work, sun, snow or rain, Jack , being a Newfie,

would fire up his outdoor grill and cook a moose steak.

But, all of Jack's neighbors were Catholic.

And since it was Lent, they were forbidden from eating meat on Friday.

The delicious aroma from the grilled moose steaks was causing such a

problem for the Catholic faithful that they finally talked to their priest.

The priest came to visit Jack, and suggested that he become a Catholic.

After several classes and much study, Jack attended Mass, and as the

priest sprinkled holy water over him, he said:

"You were born a Protestant and raised a Protestant, but now you are a Catholic."

Jack's neighbors were greatly relieved, until Friday night arrived, and

the wonderful aroma of grilled moose filled the neighborhood.

The priest was called immediately by the neighbors, and, as he rushed into

Jack's yard, clutching a rosary and prepared to scold him,

he stopped and watched in amazement.

There stood Jack, clutching a small bottle of holy water which he

carefully sprinkled over the grilling meat and chanted:

"You wuz born a moose, you wuz raised a moose, but now you is a Codfish."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Upvote 1

Depends on where you associate. In some places, there's a lot of people raised Catholic.

Of course, another way of looking at the same people is

"Of all the born-again Christians I know, most were formerly Catholics but aren't anymore." :biglaugh:

BTW, the survey leaves out most of the world. Our posters from Mexico and points south,

not to mention Australians, are left out.

Edited by WordWolf

BTW, the survey leaves out most of the world. Our posters from Mexico and points south,

not to mention Australians, are left out.

Hmm...you're right. I didn't think the forumers here were so far-flung.

Anyway, thanks. I'll see if I can edit it.

Not to mention those in South America, of which certainly there are / have been some. And there are lots of (ex?) Wayfers in South America.

You also forgot Scandinavia, also a lot of (ex?) Wayfers there. Scandinavia isn't really "Europe," it has its own identity.

There are also lots of (ex?) Wayfers in India.

Hmm...you're right. I didn't think the forumers here were so far-flung.

Anyway, thanks. I'll see if I can edit it.

For whatever reason I can't edit the poll anymore.

Anyone who lives in Mexico, South America, the rest of Europe or Asia is welcome post their info or PM me, and I will insert those data points into the results.

Also, since I'm evolving in my spiritual beliefs I'm interested in how you all have evolved.

Personally -whoever may be cooking up the community moose (and their beliefs) holds high priority in my attitude of respect for that particular moment....but generally Id have to say my ONLY certain belief is that I have absolutely no certain beliefs -things vary too wildly-\

--most of the time i feel as if I am swimming in some gigunda vast ocean--if I happen to arrive at some momentary shore -I dont really analyze things-I am just thankful if I happen to make some connection with the souls that are there --for me thats enough