GreaseSpot Cafe

Length of Posts

Some of the newer posters down here have been making exremely lengthy posts. I would like to point out that the doctrinal forum is for discussion, not recruitment and not lecturing. It is a place where people can have a conversation with each other and/or friendly debate about doctrinal issues.

Posts that are as lengthy as some of them have been more recently, are not condusive to conversation and take up a lot of bandwidth. In addition, if you are posting information that is taken from another website, you are potentially infriging on a copyright. Please simply post a link and a small sampling of what can be found on the website instead of cutting and pasting the entire thing.

I'll drink ta dat!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcMtt2UyvRM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcMtt2UyvRM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcMtt2UyvRM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by waysider

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I like newbee posts. (lengthy or not) Let's me get a feel for where they're coming from. Are we running out of space on the web?

A) The internet is effectively infinite. Each website is not. The Powers That Be for this one pay for storage

and bandwidth.

B) The problem is not interested newbies getting a bit verbose. The problem- which was temporary and

might return eventually but is not current- is people who show up and make one or 2 posts, book-length,

with the obvious attempt to use the GSC as free advertising space for their own ventures.

I don't mind the regulars or occasionals saying "Hey, right now I'm working on something, and

here's a link." I mind strangers showing up specifically to advertise here at someone else's expense

and then leave. We DIDN'T see them post for anything that wasn't their "ads", neither before nor

after.

A smaller problem was people cutting-and-pasting long posts from elsewhere, not with permission.

The expectation-which is probably legally enforcible if the original writer cares- is to post a

small excerpt and a link to the whole thing. Much of that wasn't intended to DISCUSS, either.

And this is a DISCUSSION board.

Since this thread hasn't had to be repeated a lot, it seems that this one notice was enough

for most people to refrain from doing it again. I appreciate it when people don't need to be

compelled to do the right thing beyond being asked.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

MRAP: It really depends on a number of factors. I tend to quote the original post if it was more than a page ago, or if it makes several points that need to be handled separately. This allows the reader to see exactly what you're referring to when you reply. Fast Reply is useful if you're confident there will be no post between your response and the one you're responding to (I used fast reply for this post, for example). Fast reply is also useful if you're responding to the original topic and not necessarily to anything anyone has said in between, or if you're replying to more than one post. And quoting a nine-paragraph post just to day "I agree" isn't usually necessary unless it's not clear what you're agreeing with.

Use your judgment. There are no rules about it.