GreaseSpot Cafe

Speaking in Tongues Post-TWi

JavaJane

I am interested to hear more of what we know about speaking in tongues outside of twi - does anyone (other than me) still do it? I have done it since before my family became a part of twi - since around the age of 9 or 10, I think. I don't know why I started doing it, I just did and I didn't tell anyone about it. I didn't even really know what it was until I got involved in twi. I know it has been used in a lot of other religions other than Christian - does anyone have any more information on that? It's not like I could interpret or know what I was saying like in the book of Acts.

I know some people have stated that they were faking it during fellowships...

Does anyone find any value in it now that they are out of twi?

I'm pretty curious about this. I myself don't do it as much as I did while in twi - because then it was something I was SUPPOSED to do. Now it is only during meditation or when I feel the need.

Relegate it to your list of things to do. But it's supposed to be giving you such a wonderful return, no? If you're not seeing such a return, quit doing it a while and see if there's any difference. Make your decisions, based on the results.

I honestly have never been able to attribute any results to speaking in tongues directly. I still do it when I want to though, but that's my decision.

Relegate it to your list of things to do. But it's supposed to be giving you such a wonderful return, no? If you're not seeing such a return, quit doing it a while and see if there's any difference. Make your decisions, based on the results.

I honestly have never been able to attribute any results to speaking in tongues directly. I still do it when I want to though, but that's my decision.

Yeah, same here... I don't have much time for meditation anymore, and I only do it then when I feel like it would help me clear my mind. As for results, I don't know. I have sort of felt like it helps me to open up to what is happening around me on a spiritual plane. But it is something that I do only in private.

Maybe it ties into the whole shutting down critical thinking bit...

Edited by JavaJane

I still believe SITing in Acts was the proper thing. In other words, they were told to spread the good news. They didn't have time to learn lots of new languages - thus, they were able to speak in another tongue via Holy Spirit miraculously. You still hear of it happening this way, still today.

I don't think what we were taught to do was SITing. But, I don't know what it is. I know if I'm particularly blessed or joyous, I'll spontaneously do it. I figure - well - I don't know what I figure, but I don't really worry about it. If I do it fine. But its not something I consciously do and "drive" myself to do like when I was in TWI.

I am interested to hear more of what we know about speaking in tongues outside of twi - does anyone (other than me) still do it?

Yes, I do it. From my perspective, I was led into that experience prior to TWI in a denominational church, and that aspect of my prayer life hasn't changed dramatically prior, during, or post TWI. I just view it as a part of my personal prayer life, and since it does involve some praise, that's a bonus.

I personally feel that some of the mechanical way it is executed in TWI, with the mandated times, lists, etc. that you SIT for is an abhorration. To me it is a natural augmentation to praying with understanding and flows exactly like that. The amount of time I 'stay my mind' on world peace or whatever topic or need at hand and SIT for it does not decrease or increase God's power to deal with it.

So yes. I do it. How much? Who cares. Nobody's keeping score and neither is God.

Yeah, same here... I don't have much time for meditation anymore, and I only do it then when I feel like it would help me clear my mind. As for results, I don't know. I have sort of felt like it helps me to open up to what is happening around me on a spiritual plane. But it is something that I do only in private.

Maybe it ties into the whole shutting down critical thinking bit...

hahahaha kay so I don't want to be thought of as a Dorkus. I have never seen any "concrete results" to speaking in tongues - and I do it still.... Now how dumb does that make me sound? My Brain still thinks I should, It kind of goes like this:

"Hey Brain?"

"Uhhhh, yeah?"

"Howzabout we speak in tongues, Whadda ya think?"

"But Bullwinkle, That trick never works"

"Yeah, But I'm your free will and willpower, and I say we do"

"Happy, Happy Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy Joy, Joy, ....."

"BRAIN!"

"Happy, Hap,... ~~~ What?"

"Quit that!"

"Oooooooohhh, all-riiiiiiight...."

long ago, in a galaxy far, far away....

I wish I could dredge the GS files to revisit the threads re: SIT...I think I still feel the same as I did when I posted on them (back when the earth was still cooling...)

All that God is, I do not know...but some of what He isn't, I do.

He is not a west European guy limited to the language of white men nor is He a displaced Hebrew whose family rifs in estrangelo aramaic.

He must be bigger than (and certainly not limited to) our invented communications, whatever they be: Greek, Hebrew, Gaelic, French, etc.

On that note (no pun intended), Music can be quite spiritual...because it is wordless, and it is so powerful becuz it can evoke (and provoke) such a range of emotions in we human types.

I can see where music could lend itself to a form of perfect prayer which can include adoration/supplication/thankfulness.

...then there's no-notes like me who can't even play the radio let alone something really impressive like the harp, juiceharp or spoons.

I gotsta talk...and it's good that God is spirit...'cuz surely I'd have talked His ears off by now if he was a corporeal being of the human variety...and how unsightly would that be?

Therein lies the Matilda quandry. Pray beautifully, articulately? Yep. Selfishly? Every frickin' time...to the point of frustration, and utter uselessness.

Still trying to apply some formula for making God do what I think He should do, my way.

Understand that I am a fan of prayer...I just can't figure how God measures it and how He doles out His favors/remedies in response to it.

(Was there a class on that? Missed it. Rats.)

I know, I know...how ludicrous and self-absorbed for the creature to try and call the shots for the Creator...

Focus.

SIT really is a jumping off point -the proverbial leap of faith thing- in my private prayer life. (Note: my public prayer life is on hiatus...lol)

Amidst my linguistic yammerings, a spontaneous eruption of SIT can assert itself...clearing the air...a spiritual Febreze powerhouse.

Remember how (was it) Bishop Pillai told of how at night, in bed, he would raise his arms up to God in prayer and when he could no longer hold them high, he would be done?

George Mueller was another really good pray-er.

I know I need a refresher course.

Lo Shonta, man.

I still believe SITing in Acts was the proper thing. In other words, they were told to spread the good news. They didn't have time to learn lots of new languages - thus, they were able to speak in another tongue via Holy Spirit miraculously. You still hear of it happening this way, still today.

I don't think what we were taught to do was SITing. But, I don't know what it is.

Yeah, Sunesis.. That about sums up my thoughts on the matter..

And because of that.. I don't.. Have no reason to. Never saw a benefit. Never did it much while in except when asked. And really ust didn't know what I was doing when I was in. Making up gibberish for certain! lol.. I mean, we were asked to perfect our gibberish by practicing it.. So my gibberish got to be some pretty good gibberish by my standards.. We practiced to make sure there were no repetitions, lots of different sounds, and so forth.. Yup.. Only, my son.. At 2 yrs old.. He does it better.. So I've been outdone by my 2 yr old.. What a tongue he makes up.. I have it on video too! lol.. And then his "other" tongue (His first language is Polish), well, he kinda beats me on that even!

I spoke in tongues BEFORE I got involved with TWI...And I still Speak in Tongues. Not as much as I did in TWI...but There are times when I especially do....like if I am having trouble going to sleep. I speak in tongues and every time, I then just drift off into sleep. I speak in tongues when I am in a situation and I don't know what to do about something. I speak in tongues for other people. It's just not as regimented as it was in TWI. I don't HAVE to do it....I get to choose now when I do or don't. It's more inspired now.

newlife! Sunesis!

ditto...did before TWI...lots during...continued after, even still now for much the same as you. I wasn't a good doo-bee re: regimentation. I did it/do it cuz it makes sense to me.

Yours are such succinct posts...lol...ty.

Edited by MATILDA

Learned behavior assumed to be proof of the supernatural.

I've thought it would be interesting to study this by observing and recording the words/phrases heard in manifestations in fellowship. I bet you each language is well under 100 words.

A lot of it seems to be imitations of other languages or other peoples SIT-ing.

Any theories on what speaking in tongues is as twi taught it if it is not the same thing as was done in Acts?

Any theories on what speaking in tongues is as twi taught it if it is not the same thing as was done in Acts?

It's glossolalia. And it has a different effect on mental function than what we loosely call "meditation". It predates Christ (so much for proof of "Christ in you") and has been practiced extensively by non_Christian peoples.

http://www.skepdic.com/glossol.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia

I'm not interested in debating whether the record in Acts is true or not. I do think, though, that it's possible what this record is saying is that these cats spoke in their native languages but people in the audience who didn't know those languages were somehow able to understand them.

I speak English. But, suppose I addressed a group of people who spoke French, Spanish, German, Polish, etc. (but no English) and they still understood me. That's what I'm saying. No idea whether that's what this record is trying to say. It's just something that has kicked around in my head for decades.

I still speak in tongues. Only now, I don't give any spiritual significance to it. Here's an example. Suppose I have misplaced my car keys. I can speak in tongues and sorta zone out from what's going on around me. I can usually find the keys. But, and this is critical, it only works if I already know where the keys are but have forgotten. If I don't actually know where the keys are, it doesn't work at all. Another thing I use it for is to take my mind off pain. If I smack my thumb with a big hammer, I can speak in tongues and take my focus off of the pain. People have suggested I try other techniques, as well. But, why should I? I already know how to s.i.t.

God first

thanks JavaJane

yes I still do it

but what tongues a language that is unknown to you

a dream that unknown to for it meaning unless you dream the meaning

a language that someone speaks understanding the language or even the meaning the words you spoke

the method of human communication, either spoken or written, consisting of the use of words in a structured and conventional way : a study of the way children learn language | [as adj. ] language development.

• any nonverbal method of expression or communication : a language of gesture and facial expression.

2 the system of communication used by a particular community or country : the book was translated into twenty-five languages.

• Computing a system of symbols and rules for writing programs or algorithms : a new programming language.

3 the manner or style of a piece of writing or speech : he explained the procedure in simple, everyday language.

• the phraseology and vocabulary of a certain profession, domain, or group of people : legal language.

• (usu. as bad/strong language) coarse, crude, or offensive language : strong language.

but we can reach for the next step

have a Quiet period of time and see how peaceful you get

then can try to have interpretation of that Quiet period of time that you did not speak

I have never stop speaking and not speaking

with love and a holy kiss Roy

I gave it up for lent :biglaugh:

I don't know whether what I was doing was genuine or not. I lean toward not. I remember as a child, playing with a childhood friend. We tricked a neighborhood boy into believing I was from another country. I pretended to speak in another language and my friend pretended she understood me. Was I speaking in tongues then and didn't know it? or was I doing what I did as a child when I spoke in tongues in TWI? I may never know. I certainly wasn't raised Christian, although I grew up in a small, predominantly Christian town. Picked up a few things. Even went to Catechism (have no idea how that is spelled) for a time, because my friends all got to go. :)

Whatever, either way, now it just gives me the willies and reminds me too much of TWI. I tried doing it a few times when I couldn't sleep, because SIT always made me sleepy when I was in TWI. It doesn't work for me anymore, it doesn't even help me sleep.

It doesn't work for me anymore, it doesn't even help me sleep.

Such talent gone to waste.

We could have used your services as a chart flipper or film projectionist back in the day.

Those guys always seemed to nod off at the most inappropriate times.

We could have given the job to you and instructed you to speak in tongues.

But then again, according to Mr. Wierwille, it's supposed to act as a substitute for sleep.

Edited by waysider

Thanks for the links!

I was talking with my husband about this earlier today, and he still uses it for pain/anxiety control, which makes sense, and has something in common with posts here.

I also use it to disengage the logic portion of my brain when I need to see a situation from a different angle. It helps at times, much like using it to help find lost keys. It gives the subconscious a chance to work.

Then again, maybe I'm crazy...

**edited to fix typos I didn't see last night.

Edited by JavaJane

I also use it to disengage the logic portion of my brain when I need to see a situation from a different angle. It helps at times, much like using it to help find lost keys. It gives the subconscious a chance to work.

Then again, maybe I'm crazy...

Java Jane, I agree with that. Scientific studies have shown that when people SIT a certain portion of the brain kind of shuts off. Maybe its something that calms and lets an idea or thought from God come through all of our static. Linguistics researchers have also studied glossilalia(sic) as they call it. They have shown that it is not a language, as language is defined. No syntax, and other things its missing (I forget what right now). So, we know its not a "real" language.

So, that's why I believe the Acts apostles did speak in another tongue, or as the other poster said, the people heard their language as the Apostles were speaking - that is also miraculous in itself. But, I would almost discount that, because throughout history, even to modern day, people have heard their language spoken by someone SITing - not just in a TWI setting, but missionaries, etc.

But, I also note that many people were born again as children and automatically SIT'ed. It was just a "natural" thing to do, and many of us now, still spontaneously do it - such as I do if I'm particularly happy or excited about something - or just plain blessed :)

So, I think there may be something to it, but who knows what - a calming agent, a way of letting God's thoughts come through - who knows, as I said - I don't know what it is.

Edited by Sunesis
  • Upvote 1