GreaseSpot Cafe

Tethered to TWI

skyrider

Am I the only one thats noticing this?

Nope, seen the same thing, just never gave it much thought.

Only when the lower name tag trumps the next higher by going to a higher name tag have I seen it differently.

More like a castle dungeon system. with levels for the players. Hard to get out of the dungeon when you make it to level 80 and don't want to leave. For most of the leader types I've noticed it was the inability to follow the leader at the time that caused them to leave,... someone with a bigger nametag upset them. Rarely did someone leave because of a person with a lower nametag.

I meant to combine this quote with the one below. Please erase the line in your mind :)

Edited by erkjohn

Nope, seen the same thing, just never gave it much thought.

Only when the lower name tag trumps the next higher by going to a higher name tag have I seen it differently.

Every institution has its rankings. Businesses have their executive parking spaces for "Mr. Big" and "Mr. Just About as Big"; the military has their stripes, bars, birds and stars (rhymes); religions have their different robes, headdress etc. depending; TWI had nametags unless you were really really big. BOT members never wore nametags.

All organizations, and I mean all organizations abuse the lower ranks. "Sh___ rolls downhill" is true. The question isn't whether an organization is abusing, it's how bad is it.

Some organizations and individual leaders live just for the power trip of controlling others. Others do it inadvertantly just because the human spirit is flawed. These same people are open to criticism. Organizations are necessary for mankind to exist in some sort of particular order. Therefore pick your organizations and associations wisely. Are they accountable? How well do they handle criticism? Do they have an axe to grind with every single person they come across? Do they always have to be right?

Edited by erkjohn

Old Skool makes a fair point here. Just as there was to be a commitment from a slave to the master (especially where there is a choice for the slave to go free, leave the master) so the master had commitments to his slaves. These include the right to fair treatment, not to be abused to the point of permanent damage, and for other provisions.

Ex 12:1 Now these are the judgments which thou shalt set before them. 2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve : and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. 3 If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married , then his wife shall go out with him. 4 If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself. 5 And if the servant shall plainly say , I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free: 6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever. …

24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. 26 And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish ; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake. 27 And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake.

Matthew Henry Commentary -first two paragraphs

TWI had a great thing about teaching us to be “douloses” or (“douleia” for women) – sold-out bondslaves-servants to God. But then – they put themselves in God’s place, as his spokesman. They made themselves lords over God’s flock. Without ever taking on the responsibilities of the owner of servant-slaves.

And also – without ever remembering that the men and women who make up the BoD/BoT and other higher-ups are themselves douloses of the same God. Here is their reward:

Luke 12:42 And the Lord said , Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season? 43 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing . 44 Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath .

45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming ; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink , and to be drunken ; 46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware , and will cut him in sunder , and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. 47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

The whole doulos thing was just a way to put people deeper into bondage to TWI. Before I get too off topic on this one too... I will do what I did with Paul's trip to Jerusalem and just start a new thread... because I can go off on this topic FOR DAYS it's so messed up!!

And also – without ever remembering that the men and women who make up the BoD/BoT and other higher-ups are themselves douloses of the same God. Here is their reward:

That wasn't written to them. Besides, they were receiving "rewards" in the present, and TWI's concept concerning judgment and rewards doesn't allow for the consequences of sins occurring after salvation. In other words, the idea that they might lose something just isn't a part of their theology.

That wasn't written to them.

As they think...

:biglaugh: Sur-prise!!!! BoD, you've got mail!!!!!

In other words, the idea that they might lose something just isn't a part of their theology.

Strange how they extend probable loss of all reward to everyone else though. Hypocrites.

That one-way commitment thing is absolutely true in TWI. I have heard the phrase "The ministry owes us nothing, but we owe the ministry everything because they taught us the Word" many times. It's not a Biblical phrase, it's not an ethical phrase, even by the standards of VPW's high school paper introduction to ethics called "Lifestyle of a Believer". There VPW said "no man is the means to another man's end". Yet by this phrase, and TWI's actions in conjunction with this phrase, every man is a means to TWI's end or rather Rosie's end.

What it is is more language of control. What happens is people make up these little catch phrases, then to look extremely spiritual, when in conversations, they will just pause, think for a moment, and spout out a phrase like that. It's simple, it's catchy, it appeals to noble motives of service. But it is absolutely counterfeit and doesn't line up to scriptures. They will even repeat it to one another saying "I remember when Rosalie taught us 'phrase'".

They replace God's Word with man's word, or woman's word. They absolutely have changed "It Is Written" to "It Is Position". It is no longer chapter and verse in TWI, it is person and quote. They are respecters of persons.

• Upvote 2

They replace God's Word with man's word, or woman's word. They absolutely have changed "It Is Written" to "It Is Position". It is no longer chapter and verse in TWI, it is person and quote. They are respecters of persons.

Twi replaced 'chapter and verse' with...........The Present Truth.

This 'present truth' doctrine permeated twi throughout the 90s......with Pecker-in-Chief, LCM, at the helm. He could rationalize and justify any situation with 'present truth' ramblings. If he was angry.....he expected all the corps to be angry that week and confront their people.

The Present Truth was a Dictator Doctrine. With 'executive order'......he could trumph any scripture by utilizing a present situation and plugging in a present solution, even if it ran at cross-purposes with rock-solid truth.

If Rosalie is still doing this............ :evildenk:

• 7 years later...
On 6/23/2010 at 9:46 PM, Gen-2 said:

More like a castle dungeon system. with levels for the players. Hard to get out of the dungeon when you make it to level 80 and don't want to leave. For most of the leader types I've noticed it was the inability to follow the leader at the time that caused them to leave,... someone with a bigger nametag upset them. Rarely did someone leave because of a person with a lower nametag.

Gen, good observation!

On 6/22/2010 at 9:17 AM, skyrider said:

A tether is a rope, cord, etc. fastened to something to prevent drifting, escape......to limit within bounds, confine.

Nametags....one's vanity tethered his/her commitment to twi. Whether a WOW Ambassador, an Advanced Class grad, a Corps grad, or Staff, the seduction of "belonging to something bigger than oneself" tethered my *renewed mind* to twi inc. No physical bars imprisoned me from leaving the Emporia campus.....even though I was disgusted with the inresidence program within months. No ropes or chains bound me at twi's hq during my years on staff.

At the end of the movie, The Devil's Advocate, is that line........VANITY, gets them every time. Keanu Reeves looks like he's free and clear to move ahead with his life and wife.......until that temptation, vanity. The movie ends leaving one to ponder.

The corps program was an exclusive "sit at the feet of the master" club. The isolation from society, the isolation from worldly news, the isolation from family, friends and loved ones only empowered the "leadership." In 1979/80......the analogy of the cherokee 'dog soldiers' was brought forward to embolden the image of their commitment to fight to the death. The dog soldier was tethered to a stake in the ground to fight the enemy.

How many stayed on the WOW field to get the WOW pin?

How many gutted it out to get wierwille's approval?

How many ate sh!t sandwiches to climb the twi ladder?

Even the Apostle Paul went to Jerusalem for the wrong reasons......and almost lost his life.

<_<

I liked the movie The Devil's Advocate , and I can see similarities in how the way international exploits followers by finesse or force - temptation or coercion...and I think in the long run it's the various temptations that is the stronger tether.

I think you have an excellent point - some may stick it out for the duration - for the sense of achievement, approval from leadership, advancement, etc....

I can see that was what drove me many times during my stint...this kind of tether is so sneaky - invisible - because it's reinforced from within us....and it's one of the toughest pills to swallow when you're on the fence of whether or not to leave TWI..."do I cut my losses and move on? What about all I've invested all those years? What about all that I achieved?"

Maybe my answer to those questions was a little like Paul's thought process in Philippians 3:8 - I decided to count it all dung compared to the freedom I would have to live my life the way I want to.

• Like 1

Vanity... just before I got thrown out, I got a facemelting from my Country Coord.  "You could have been great!" he yelled.  Was appealing to my vanity to have become more than a mere Corps grad leading a twig or branch, or some such.  Wanted me to become more meek, submissive, to do what I was told, and definitely not speak up if I saw something not right.

Knowing what I know now...when he came to visit us on the Wow field, when he wanted special care from me and wanted me to stay the night with him in his motel... and I've later learned that he "ministered" to single women believers back in his town of residence... I'm inclined to think he omitted a word or two.  Like, "In bed!"

FYI that was never going to happen.

Do you remember the tethered "dog soldier" image?  I think there was even a painting, perhaps by HCW, a former poster here.

dog soldier.jpg

I do, I do.  Gag me with a tether LOL.  

I also recall a torture practice among the same group of natives.  They would take an enemy, presumably a dog soldier, and stake them via tether to an ant hill, cover them with molasses, and burn off their eyelashes, leaving them in the desert sun.

In retrospect I wonder which one of these 2 versions I really experienced.

6 hours ago, Twinky said:

Do you remember the tethered "dog soldier" image?  I think there was even a painting, perhaps by HCW, a former poster here.

dog soldier.jpg

Yeah the artist referenced by Twinky's comment is the lord and master for the Facebook way corpse group. He still practices face melting as well as marking/avoiding aka banishment.

Edited by Rocky

By the way, this isn't HCW's image of a dog soldier.  It's just something I found on the net.

There's quite a lot about "dog soldiers" on the net.  Of course, there was another side to it which wasn't referenced at all by VPW.  As usual, he told half the story.

Isn't it great that Jesus Christ came to set the captives free.  And that would be whether they were captured by enemies without or enemies within.  Captured by false ideas, false causes, false leaders.   Staked, or tethered, to something less than solid.  If we did but know it, we had tethered ourselves to shifting sand and not the "solid rock" that we were so happy to sing songs about.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2010 at 7:29 AM, Broken Arrow said:

:offtopic: Just a thought. Do you think that may be yet another TWI teaching that should be brought under scrutiny? I dunno...I'm just asking out loud. I've never heard anyone else but TWI teach this.

Actually, given the magnitude of "the prison epistles," I'm rather undecided on it.   

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2010 at 7:05 AM, Tzaia said:

That wasn't written to them. Besides, they were receiving "rewards" in the present, and TWI's concept concerning judgment and rewards doesn't allow for the consequences of sins occurring after salvation. In other words, the idea that they might lose something just isn't a part of their theology.

For sure it was part of LCM's belief... which undoubtedly (perhaps, unfortunately) had an effect (or played into) what motivated him. 

On 6/24/2010 at 6:57 PM, skyrider said:

Twi replaced 'chapter and verse' with...........The Present Truth.

This 'present truth' doctrine permeated twi throughout the 90s......with Pecker-in-Chief, LCM, at the helm. He could rationalize and justify any situation with 'present truth' ramblings. If he was angry.....he expected all the corps to be angry that week and confront their people.

The Present Truth was a Dictator Doctrine. With 'executive order'......he could trumph any scripture by utilizing a present situation and plugging in a present solution, even if it ran at cross-purposes with rock-solid truth.

If Rosalie is still doing this............ :evildenk:

As longtime GSC readers know, "present truth" didn't mean anything like what twi SAID it meant. It meant "the truth that is here", not the truth of today.