GreaseSpot Cafe

The Heat is on LeBron

Lifted Up

Aparently nobody cares here that much. Just my 2 cents worth as an old Cleveland fan, I've never cared much...partly because the Cavs came into being long after my pre TWI life in Ohio, but also because I could never stomach the time he showed up to an Indians-Yankees game in a Yankee cap.

• 10 months later...

Seems as good as place as any to post this......

So, Lebron James and The Heat machine were shut down Thursday night when the Dallas Mavericks beat them. Should make for an even greater series now that the series shifts to Dallas for the next 3 games.

Dallas really didn't play that well but were able to pull off the victory on the Heat home court. Their (the Heat) first loss at home in the playoffs. My hope is that The Heat never make in back to Florida, but that's not likely. I look for Dallas winning 2 out of the next 3 and taking the championship in game 6. Go Mavericks.

The Catholic Bishops from the two archdioceses have a bet on the NBA winners

3-June-2011 -- Catholic News Agency

Catholic Bishops Bet On Heat V. Mavericks NBA Championship

MIAMI, FLA., June 2 (CNA) - As the Miami Heat and the Dallas Mavericks begin the NBA Championship series, the Catholic bishops of the teams' hometowns have made a friendly wager on the outcome.

Archbishop Thomas Wenski of Miami offered Bishop Kevin Farrell of Dallas three items from three parts of his archdiocese: a collection of Key Lime pies and stone crabs from Monroe County, a box of cigars handmade in Miami, and a fish bowl containing Ft. Lauderdale sand, shells from the beach, and water from the Atlantic Ocean.

He will also include some "ocean breezes and oranges" if the Miami Heat lose, the Archdiocese of Miami reports.

Bishop Farrell has accepted the challenge. He has offered barbeque ribs from Rudy's Country Store and Bar-B-Q in Frisco, tortillas and salsa from Luna Tortilla Factory in Dallas, and a deep dish pecan pie from Colin Street Bakery in Corsicana. He is also offering a "Don't Mess with Texas" hat.

If the Heat loses, Bishop Farrell said, he would like to receive a picture of Archbishop Wenski wearing the cap, perhaps while sitting on his Harley motorcycle.

"I want to see Archbishop Wenski wearing a hat that says, 'Don't Mess With Texas,' because he has got to learn that lesson," Bishop Farrell told WFAA-TV.

Archbishop Wenski wants the promised ribs to arrive at his home in time for the July 4 weekend.

"My mouth is already beginning to water," he told the Miami Sun-Sentinel.

The Miami Heat won the first game of the series on May 31 by a score of 92-84. The second game is scheduled for Thursday night at 9 p.m. Eastern Time.

So I'll just FYI the latest here for the NBA final series. Last night Dallas beat Miami tying up the series 2 games to 2. All square. Again, the game was decided by a basket, which is 2 points. Go Mavericks. note: Lebron James was held to 9 points.:)

Despite my previous comment, try as I might I can't sustain a vindictive attitude toward LeBron forever. I hated the way he left, but I can't help feeling a little sorry for him. He thought with that move to Miami he was joining a dream team and paving the way to a championship.

I remember what a young kid he was when his NBA career started, and how concerned I was that all the attention and adulation might go to his head. It did. I think he's just had his come-uppance. On one level it's hard to watch someone so full of talent fail in the end. On the other hand, maybe he'll come back down to earth and the humility will do him some good in the long run.

I hear what your saying Linda Z but I can't really feel sorry for Lebron who plays basketball and earns millions of dollars and who is probably now going to his mansion and playing with his X-Box 360, or doing something to forget about loosing The NBA Finals. I'm only speculating to how he feels. He may be really bummed out. I don't know.

I just can't seem to emphasis with Lebron or the likes of him because these guys aren't someone to take pity on. Sure, they feel beaten and emotionally robbed for a moment but really after a while, I think these guys get over it pretty quickly and get into their fancy cars, and go to their mansions, surround themselves with all the toys you could play with [ cars, bars, Nintendo, girls, boats, you name it], and suddenly they forget about it.

I once saw Greg Oden the #1 draft pick for The Portland Trailblazers walking down the isle to the locker room during practice and he was just playing with his I-phone. This guy is paid multi- millions and he doesn't even play because he's been injured for over 2 years. I can't seem to feel sorry for anyone like him.

And I don't see what all the hype was about the tremendous talent of Lebron James and the Miami Heat during the finals. Lebron James played well at times but by no means played like the super-star that the media and others made him out to be. I just don't think that Lebron is quite in the same league as the greats, Cousy, Magic, Jabbar, Jordan, Russell. :o

He stills has years left in his career to make a mark if he has one to make.

Edited by Human without the bean

• 4 months later...