GreaseSpot Cafe

Getting rid of ants naturally

Kit Sober

I would suggest investigating a pyrethrine based spray of some kind. This is a derivative of the crystanthemum plant and probably wouldn't have any ill effects on anything other than insects. (Billy the Exterminator can be quite educational at times). :)

If "Gardens Alive" has a website that could be helpful as well. We get their catalog and their products are natural.

Edited by Watered Garden

I would suggest investigating a pyrethrine based spray of some kind. This is a derivative of the crystanthemum plant and probably wouldn't have any ill effects on anything other than insects. (Billy the Exterminator can be quite educational at times). :)

If "Gardens Alive" has a website that could be helpful as well. We get their catalog and their products are natural.

gardens alive

Here's a link:

From Texas A&M

Baits: If the nest cannot be found, use a bait-formulated product (below) or prepare a 1 (or 2) percent boric acid bait using the following recipe:

• Choose the most attractive food material for the ant species present, such as peanut butter, mint apple jelly, corn syrup, etc.

• Mix 1 part boric acid powder (available from most pharmacies) per 100 (or 50) parts bait material, e.g., 1 teaspoon per 2 (or 1) cups food material.

Do not make the bait concentration of boric acid too strong as this reduces its effectiveness. The 1 percent bait is better than higher concentrations because it is less repellent to ants and kills them as efficiently. Keep the bait fresh and moist. Small amounts of bait can be placed in bottle caps or on pieces of aluminum foil, or injected into short (2-inch-long) sections of soda straws using a squeeze bottle. Place 20 to 30 small bait stations where ants have been seen or were attracted to baits as described in the previous section. Do not place stations in areas accessible to small children or pets. If proper food is used and bait kept fresh, ants should be controlled after three to four weeks. Some bait formations for indoor use are available commercially:

Edited by doojable

• 4 months later...

You need mercenaries, guns for hire.

Hire Assasin Ants.

Seriously, I had snails get into my aquarium tank via some transfers I did, not more than a couple. Several weeks went by and there were 100's. There are several trap methods I tried, and they worked fairly well ... thae the Shop I go to suggested I buy some Assasin Snails. They eat the smaller breed I have.

Aside from the late night skirmishes and constant negotiations for more money, it's gone well. They're expensive but deadly effective, and no citizens have been harmed in the process.

sorry if this too the hell much..

:biglaugh:

'm not scared of dying

And I, don't really care

If it' s peace you find in dying

Well then, let the time be near

If it's peace you find in dying

Well then dying time is near

Just bundle up my coffin

'Cause it's

Cold way down there

I hear that it's

Cold way down there, yeah

Crazy cold, way down there

And when I die, and when I'm gone

There'll be, one child born

In this world

To carry on, to carry on

Now troubles are many

There as

Deep as a well

I can swear there ain't no Heaven

But I pray there ain't no hell

Swear there ain't no Heaven

And I'll pray there ain't no hell

But I'll never know by livin'

Only my dyin' will tell, yes only my

Dyin' will tell, oh yeah

Only my dyin' will tell

And when I die, and when I'm gone

There'll be, one child born, in this world

To carry on, to carry on

Yeah yeah

Give me my freedom

For as long as I be

All I ask of livin'

Is to have no chains on me

All I ask of livin'

Is to have no chains on me

And all I ask of dyin' is to

Go naturally, only wanna

Go naturally

Here I go!

Hey hey

Here come the devil

Right behind

Look out children, here he come

Here he come, hey

Don't wanna go by the devil

Don't wanna go by the demon

Don't wanna go by satan

Don't wanna die uneasy

Just let me go

Naturally

And when I die, and when I'm dead

Dead and gone

There'll be

One child born, in our world

To carry on, to carry on

I loved BS and T.. even after they strangled the life out of their maker..

When i was a little tyke, my Grandpa told me you could catch a Sparrow by putting salt on its tail. You see, it makes it too heavy to fly and thus you can snatch it.

The way I understood the proverb.. if one had the snowballs chance in hell of putting a few grams of salt on a moving bird..

well, no moving bird ever allowed it..

The Borax works great. I buy it from the Chemist's amd mix it into a paste with sugar water and put it on a lid (like from a margarine container) put it in the way of any "line" of ants - no matter what kind, and they will find it, take it home, and feed their entire colony. They cannot resist it, but don't learn from the experience. They continue to return for more until they have killed the entire colony.

I have a Cat (Meemer), and a Golden Lion Tamarin (Tam) for pets. and never had a problem with them eating it. The total amount ever left out as bait is less than half a teaspoon, which would not kill either of them anyways. might make them a little sick if they did, but they'd survive and probably wouldn't bother it again. Tam did get it all over his hands once and came in screaming at me to wipe it off. He's never bothered it since.

Edited - just for Ham

Edited by Gen-2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I use grits to kill ants outdoors. They eat it up, then explode. Sprinkle generous amount of grits right out of the box onto the ant hill. Indoors, I use a commercial product called Grants Kills Ants, works great and is not messy and lasts months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.. true. But the only ants you are going to catch with that thing are the big ones. Very, very big ones..

Well, those are the ones you really, REALLY want to take out of circulation.

Know what I mean?

Giant_Ant.jpg

Edited by waysider