GreaseSpot Cafe

Looking for Susan Powell, violinist

GarthP2000

Hiya all.

Is there anyone here who has ever heard/seen/known Susan Powell? She was active in TWI back in the 70's, a WOW sent to Huntsville, AL back in 75-76, and she played _really_ good violin (rumor was that she maybe played on the Way Orchestra back then perhaps?).

Anywho, last I heard, she went to Vienna, Austria to play in their orchestra. Yes, she was that good. (Well, *I* thought so anyway. :) )

Any information would be very helpful. She was one of the bright spots and loving people that existed in TWI back then, and I'd be willing to lay $solid$ money that she left TWI well before it imploded.

Thanks in advance. :wave:

I didn't know her, but ther is an accomplished bassist by that name at :

http://hcd.hartford.edu/faculty/Powell.htm

Graduated from Julliard in 74/75 so it seems the dates are right. I do remember TWI had a few Julliard trained violinists didn't they? VP tried to pass them off as fiddle players at the Grand Old Opry. :D I hope you find her Garth.

• 3 years later...

Examining that link, HAPe4Me, that lady is DEFINITELY NOT the Susan Powell, who's being inquired about by the initial poster:

http://harttweb.hart...gs/spowell.aspx

The one and only time I met Ms. Powell was when she was visiting her parents in Abilene TX, and I was stationed at nearby Dyess AFB way back in the late 70s. I guess one of her parents, if not both parents, were college professors at either Hardin-Simmons or McMurry in that city. Although she came off as a "free spirit and fun-loving" (or a "hippie") type, Susan was very well grounded in both the Word of God, as well as her violin playing.

While we spoke when she was visiting the Way Home, which I was residing in at that time, Ms. Powell mentioned her intentions of going into the Way Corps -- or maybe she was already in the Way Corps. Either way, I did sponsor her in the Corps, but over the years, unfortunately, I lost all correspondence with her. From '77 thru '85, I attended most of the annual Rock of Ages in that time span, and I never ran into Susan at the Rock.

Whatever Susan is doing these days, I sure hope and pray she's out of the Way Ministry and doing well for herself. I can definitely see Susan being a fantastic wife and mother, not to mention a professionally-established violinist, somewhere in the world right now. Sorry if this wasn't any help on locating Ms. Powell's exact whereabouts.

• 6 months later...

Hiya Zbrick,

Thanks for the info. How well 'grounded in the Word' Susan may be, I don't know. But she did seem to be grounded in a good amount of common sense, and I think that she is long gone from that ooutfit by now. :-) ... I will always have good memories of her.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Garth P.