GreaseSpot Cafe

A Little Girls Pennies?

teachmevp

I agree chockfull.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

The process we used back in the 60's and 70's would have been appropriate for an informal arrangement, "amongst friends", kind of a family style co-op arrangement. People share, it's gathered together, it's used for a variety of purposes. Not for a non-profit class running teacher supporting meeting hungry machine like The Way. Formal business process was need and appropriate. Trying to maintain the aw-shucks-peepul personnae didn't work well. IMO. Kinda like Wal-Mart pretending it's just some ol' folks makin' good deals on your behalf, daggnabbit. I was there for both ways and that's why I feel it didn't work well the way we actually executed the entire process.

I think people feel more "right", more "officiated" when it's handed over, given to someone and it's someone else doing the processing. When it's just us we think - well, it's just us. We think that's not "Church", that's not godly and can't be good or right enough.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The profit margins for the classes, books and various gee-gaws were never big enough to totally fund The Way's work when factored back into the entire budget. There was never enough people in a single year attending classes to fund the growth plan VPW executed. ABS and short term bank loans accounted for the largest part of it . ABS was really a small percentage of regular tithers and some large gifts and sharing that would be made each year. Once the stack got large enough and no short term debt was outstanding (emporia, rome city, planes, buses, etc.) it accumulated pretty quickly. I'd imagine.

I like pennies though. Spends quite nicely - my daughter got this big cup deal that has a battery operated counter slot in the top - you put change in and it tallies it up for you as it goes. Takes about 60 bucks or so on average when full. Sweet! Love feeding it. Jars work too.

All of those who would prefer to get rid of their pennies can send them to me for fast processing and I do promise they'll be handled correctly. Send that coin to SocksDigsLoveMoney@SlotMachineReligionInc.com. Happy to do that for you, you're welcome.

Ah, maybe later, but thanks very much for the offer.

I never knew about coins being a problem when I and my friends were all poor students, and when I had more money I still wanted to be as anonymous as possible, having taken that bit in Matthew to heart about doing alms in secret, and not wanting to make do with a reward from men.

Yah, Cara, I'd rather use cash too, than a check, for the same reason.

Not that fleecing people for their ABS was a biggie where I was.

Just as a side issue:

When I was a little girl attending Sunday School, we had little round plastic moneyboxes, modelled after an African hut. We used to collect the pennies from our pocket money, big old heavy pennies, they were too - and every so often take the moneybox along to church and it was emptied. At the time, the Biafran war was going on in Africa. The money collected in these African moneyboxes was sent to help dispossessed people in Biafra, we were told (though clearly not in those words, not to little kids).

A couple of decades later, I was witnessed to by a young man whose family had come as refugees from that very area of Africa.

Often wondered if this little girl's pennies went to help that young man and his family in their time of need.

After I'd posted that I felt like a fraud, because of course I've written checks, but I was happy when I realised that when it was between me and Him it felt better.

Thanks for the welcome from the Chair, ex-c, and Twinky also on the new people thread. Hey, I remember the boxes for pennies for the Biafran babies.

1) Accepting cash is untraceable, it could possibly come from a criminal enterprise and represent a money laundering scheme, opening up exposure to RICO charges.

unless or until the arrival of "smart cash"..

at which time they will tax the "bejesus" out of second rate unemployed snake oil salesmen..

of course..

:biglaugh:

not just unemployed offshoot wanabes I'm sure.

da way always has a *need*.. maybe rosies cats need a manicure..

well, better cause or use of the money than their usual alternatives..

send your pennies to:

the Cat

New Knoxville, Ohio.

don't worry, *they* will know where to send it..

• Upvote 1

to some of you this might make sense..

I remember the early days of solar cells. They were horribly inefficient.. take lots of them to charge a 12 volt battery..

one guy says "don't like them? just send them to me.."

and there were not many who replied, or sent..

What if each of us sent them a penny and requested a receipt for taxes?

Hmm.. maybe, just maybe.. that was what they greatly feared..