GreaseSpot Cafe

Plotinus and Pax never seen together

Pax

I was Plotinus on these forums way back when. I participated here shortly after these forums began. I sojourned years later as "Juan Cruz." Juan posted some poems that still make me laugh. "I've Got Curses" is a personal favorite of Juan's. Now I'm back as Pax.

I took the PFAL class in the basement of Rye Presbyterian Church in Sept./Oct. of 1971. I was 15. I saw many leaders up close... none were impressive. Some were worse than others. Most of my fellow Groovy Christians of Rye, NY were impressive, and I love them very much. I'm glad that so few are still in bondage to Victor's brand of bad religion.

I got out after seven very active, committed years in which I ran classes, went door-to-door (even in Manhattan), and helped organize events. From reading the best and most respected Christian literature, I saw how sadly wrong, misguided, and venal Victor was. A friend in college died as a direct result of Victor's misleadings re: healing and believing. A dear high school friend was sexually abused by Victor.

I wax indignant regarding Victor. He hurt people whom I love. I let him waste too many precious years of my walk. He is in the lowest place of my deepest metaphorical inferno.

I was born in Endwell and I hope I do. I grew up in Rye, and have lived in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Princeton, Schenectady, and in the NJ suburbs of The Big Apple. Organic gardening, political and environmental activism, reading classics, following NY sports teams, and living happily with my wife (also from Rye and a talented artist), and our two kids (16 & 14) who are unschooled, keeps me grateful.

I believe in God. Jesus is the center of my life. The Bible is my story. I take scripture seriously, but not literally. I'm a progressive, social-justice pursuing Christian. I don't believe God breaks the laws of physics/nature. A man named Jesus never walked on water literally, but metaphorically He did and He does.

I can't commit to stay here long, or to be a regular poster but I love Pawtucket for making this available. I have enjoyed his personal company on occasion, and I equally enjoy his cyber-hospitality here when the spirit troubles my tukhus into the Greasespot Pool of Siloam.

• Upvote 1

Just this morning on another thread I was wondering if that could possibly you.

thanks for unveiling that mystery

Its good to have you back ---you always added a very sound and thoughtful voice to greasespot-- I hope that you and your entire family are all doing well and, if you have the time, that you stay awhile.

Welcome back

Edited by mstar1

Hey Plots!

You can't quite wash that greasespot out completely can you? just had to peek in again, huh? Good to see you. I often wonder about folks who I got to know fairly well but never actually met face to face. Isn't that an odd thing? In ways, I feel I know some online acquaintances better than people I actually interact with in the work place. You seem to fit well in your skin shepherding your flock and enjoying your family. Pax seems to be upon you!

sudo

I was Plotinus on these forums way back when. I participated here shortly after these forums began. I sojourned years later as "Juan Cruz." Juan posted some poems that still make me laugh. "I've Got Curses" is a personal favorite of Juan's. Now I'm back as Pax.

I took the PFAL class in the basement of Rye Presbyterian Church in Sept./Oct. of 1971. I was 15. I saw many leaders up close... none were impressive. Some were worse than others. Most of my fellow Groovy Christians of Rye, NY were impressive, and I love them very much. I'm glad that so few are still in bondage to Victor's brand of bad religion.

I got out after seven very active, committed years in which I ran classes, went door-to-door (even in Manhattan), and helped organize events. From reading the best and most respected Christian literature, I saw how sadly wrong, misguided, and venal Victor was. A friend in college died as a direct result of Victor's misleadings re: healing and believing. A dear high school friend was sexually abused by Victor.

I wax indignant regarding Victor. He hurt people whom I love. I let him waste too many precious years of my walk. He is in the lowest place of my deepest metaphorical inferno.

I was born in Endwell and I hope I do. I grew up in Rye, and have lived in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Princeton, Schenectady, and in the NJ suburbs of The Big Apple. Organic gardening, political and environmental activism, reading classics, following NY sports teams, and living happily with my wife (also from Rye and a talented artist), and our two kids (16 & 14) who are unschooled, keeps me grateful.

I believe in God. Jesus is the center of my life. The Bible is my story. I take scripture seriously, but not literally. I'm a progressive, social-justice pursuing Christian. I don't believe God breaks the laws of physics/nature. A man named Jesus never walked on water literally, but metaphorically He did and He does.

I can't commit to stay here long, or to be a regular poster but I love Pawtucket for making this available. I have enjoyed his personal company on occasion, and I equally enjoy his cyber-hospitality here when the spirit troubles my tukhus into the Greasespot Pool of Siloam.

Heh!

Nice to see yyou.

If you peek in here again, exound a bit on your experience "unschooling". We've finished our homeschooling and we networked with many doing the same. I read about unschooling and found the concept interesting and a bit troubling.

Thanks for your kind words.

I've sent each of you a private message.

Kudos to Sudo for remembering my profession

which I won't reveal

because I hope to be accepted by despite my perversion.

We can't all be dentists.

I'm guessing, the more I think about it.. that a lot of you know.

Oh well, nothing to be ashamed of...

well, nothing to be horrified about...

well....

I might retire in 10-20 years...

O Lord, I'm depressed....

c u later.

Dear TheEvan,

Unschooling is perfect for any children who,

with their parents,

are confident that they can teach themselves better than any school,

public or private can.

I have nothing against teachers

(my mother was one)

it's the system that teachers are placed in

that helped us decide (correctly, it has turned out)

that unschooling is best for our children.

They are

smarter,

happier,

independent,

emotionally strong,

more motivated

around more for us to enjoy these incredible years,

socially engaged

(they can talk when moved to do so and be quiet when so moved),

attentive to mind/body/spirit,

and they cook and clean too.

http://www.wesjones.com/gatto1.htm

more than this and I'll start a thread

edited for some grammar mistakes (!)

Edited by Pax

that's "cool" and all..

how do you figure in well, supposedly higher education? More advanced material, math, chemistry, computer science..

now I will admit, I've seen better understanding from home schooled children.

But I've also seen better academic results when first and second year college students attend a local community college, and live at home..

I'm almost afraid to say this.. but a four year university is really almost the wrong place to send a first or second year student.. with the exception that they know why they are there, and have commitment to learn..