GreaseSpot Cafe

Moving e-mail from one computer to another

GeorgeStGeorge

Okay, here's the deal. Since there was no real way to give my old computer more memory, I purchased a new one, loaded with Windows 7. The guys at Best Buy were supposed to put my old hard drive in a new case and transfer data to the new computer. They did the former but not the latter.

I loaded Office 2010 Home and Business, because I like Outlook as a mail device. What I need to do now is to transfer my old e-mails and contacts from the old hard drive to my new computer. Since I had Windows XP on the old computer, I had Outlook Express, not Outlook. I presume that the file formats are the same.

Any ideas how to do this? I suppose I can have the "Geek Squad" do it remotely, but it will cost about $60.

George

Okay, here's the deal. Since there was no real way to give my old computer more memory, I purchased a new one, loaded with Windows 7. The guys at Best Buy were supposed to put my old hard drive in a new case and transfer data to the new computer. They did the former but not the latter.

I loaded Office 2010 Home and Business, because I like Outlook as a mail device. What I need to do now is to transfer my old e-mails and contacts from the old hard drive to my new computer. Since I had Windows XP on the old computer, I had Outlook Express, not Outlook. I presume that the file formats are the same.

Any ideas how to do this? I suppose I can have the "Geek Squad" do it remotely, but it will cost about $60.

George

To import the Outlook express data to Outlook you have first import it in Window Live Mail .

Click Start ->Getting Started and click Windows Live essential.

Download Windows Live Mail.

Check the link below to Import the OLE(Outlook Express) data to Windows Live Mail:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/importing-your-e-mail-contacts-and-calendar-into-windows-live-mail

To transfer the data from Windows Live Mail to Outlook 2010 follow the steps mentioned in the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980534

As it happens, I filled out one of those on-line reviews of service, pointing out how PO'ed I was about Best Buy not setting up Outlook with my old data. I got an e-mail from the service manager telling me to come in and they'll take care of it. If they mess up again, I'll try what you wrote.

Thanks,

George