GreaseSpot Cafe

e-cigarettes, know anything about them?

PurpleDays

I made it almost a month without smoking. I never could overcome the terrible headaches - assume they are from the nicotine withdrawal. And then my blood pressure starting dropping to low levels and I got very dizzy-headed. Am thinking of trying e-cigarettes to stop. Anyone had any experience with them?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking about trying them too. I'm confused as to how they work also. Even after my local cigarette vendor showed me one. I know they are heavy, and it's a vapor with nicotine without the smoke. You can get them in differnt strengths and flavors. But how you fill and recharge them is confusing to me.

My local vendor said he is supposed to be getting some sample disposable ones for about 10 bucks apiece that you can use about 3 times. So I'm going to wait until he gets those in before I spend 55-60 bucks on the package. Though that is supposed to last about as long as a carton, and that is just what a carton costs.

I bought one of those things about a year or so ago.

I saw a couple smoking them in an airport, got curious, struck up a conversation and found out they were distributors.

I bought the kit when I got home and then the whole episode lasted about 3 days before I was back to my regular brand. To be fair maybe I didnt give it a long enough time to adjust into it. They had all sorts of concoctions to add flavoring but to me it was like inhaling ammonia fumes. It was raspy and uncomfortable to me plus it made me talk like Froggy from The Little Rascals

Nicotine patches are supposed to work really well. Available (in various strengths) at pharmacies. Might be a good alternative.

In the UK the NHS (National Health Service) runs "Stop Smoking" clinics in which a group of people wanting to give up meet regularly (a bit like Alcs Anon??) and the clinics have been found to be very successful because of the support offered. Anything like that near you?

My friend has used them successfully. they are heavy but it gets him through the rough spots. I read some about it online and some comments were one company at least kept sending replacements that weren't ordered by the person and billing it to their credit card they used for the initial order so be careful.

Here's what I know so far:

My daughter's friend is using one and let me "borrow" his spare this weekend while he was visiting. He suggests the 2 part (battery & Cartomizer) versus the 3 part (uses an atomizer and has a small "button" of spongy material in the "tip" of the cigarette) as the failure rate is lower and the "spongy" material which holds the "juice" is extends the entire length of the "filter" half of the cigarette.

Basically, the rechargable battery is housed in the first 1/2 of the cigarette and has a lighted tip which "burns" when you inhale. You recharge it on a device much like a cell phone charger. A starter kit comes with 2 of these. He suggests getting the lighted tip in a color other than red or orange so that it will not be mistaken for an actual cigarette. He also suggests getting the body of the cigarette in a solid color like black or silver versus the "brown filter/white tip" model for the same reason. This makes "vaping" in non-smoking areas less of a hassle as people do not mistake it for a real cigarette.

The other 1/2 contains the cartomizer which makes the vapor. In the 2 piece model, this filament is surrounded by the spongy material which you put the drops of "nicotine liquid" on. When the spongy part gets dry, you re-drip it. He is able to get about a month of vaping out of each cartomizer unit. Has been vaping for about 4 months and has not had to replace a battery unit yet.

The liquid comes in all kinds of flavors, from traditional tobacco and menthol, to chocolate, raspberry, even mixed drink flavors. High strength is 36 ml - goes down like 24, 16, 11, 6, and 0. He is at 16 - was a bit strong for me. You can mix say 2 drops of 0 and 1 drop of 6 to dilute the nicotine content even more.

He has the NJoy brand - it was available at his local retailer. He suggests ordering from MadVapes online as it is less than 1/2 the cost.

There are also disposable e-cigarettes - you buy them in like a package of about 6. Some have nicotine, some do not.

Twinky, thanks for the suggestion about the patch. Tried it several years ago - my body did not tolerate it well. I've been using Chantix - but still had the horrid headaches. It provides an online support system. A support group of "real people" could be helpful.

Thanks for the input. I look forward to more.

I investigated them last year and started with my first set a little over a year ago. I've since purchased several sets of two different models and assorted supplies. It's called "vaping" in the market, for the vaporized "smoke" that's produced by the e-cigarette. I use the "N Pro" and the "D 901" models.

The FDA made a big stink about these about a year ago and there's been varying levels of resistance to their distribution in the U.S. Health concerns over the long term impact of using them are the issue. There's been quite a bit of testing of them done, and my conclusion based on a lot of investigation is that the risks are far minimal, far lower then smoking a traditional tobacco cigarette.

There are disposable models that are basically throwaways. They might be good try and to see what you think but are far too expensive to use long term IMO.

Basically there's 4 parts to an "e-cigarette", which looks like a metal/plastic cigarette more or less: a rechargable battery, an "atomizer" or vaporizer piece and a "filter" cartridge which holds a liguid nicotine mixture. When it's assembled you draw on the end like a normal cigarette, the draw causes the atomizer to trigger the battery to heat an element up and the liquid nicotine burns and vaporizes. You draw a very very fine "mist" that contains the nicotine. The exhale looks like a fine "smoke" but it dissipates in the air and there's nearly no residual "vape" as it's called and nearly no smell.

The nic' mixture comes in different strengths - ultra light, a light, medium and a strong. I use the ultra light and it's strong enough for me. I also buy the liquid nicotine in small bottles from suppliers to reload my own cartridges myself. There's flavors and you can actually flavor you own easily enough using natural flavorings added to the liquid nicotine. I've fiddled with mine to get a very low nic', smooth "tasting" vape by adding some additional liquid base and more or less making my own mixture.

Compared to buying cigarettes, the overall cost is much less if you buy the liquid nicotine and reload your own cart's but you do have to continue to buy the "parts" - batteries and vaporizers wear out, although I get a few months out of each with the occasional piece that will tank quicker.

Your reliance on tobacco can go way down, and use will IMO assist in "quitting". There's a lot of controversy on that but the proof to me was first hand use over time. A lot of people say they don't like the "taste" and it may not be to everyone's liking. Some experimentation is required but from what I've seen and read most people find a suitable combination. Some "vape" very strong mixtures, others like me, very light. I didn't have that much trouble finding the right stuff for my own preferences. I buy liquid nicotine from U.S. makers and the parts overseas. Ruyan of China was the big manufacturer for a long time, not sure if that's currently the case though.

I've also tried the "American Spirit" ultra lights which have less chemicals in them - one of the biggest downsides of the traditional cigarette tobacco is that there are 100's of chemicals that go into it's production and end up in what a person inhales. The liguid nicotine carries about a 1/10 chemicals and they're relatively benign IMO. Again, there's a lot of disagreement over that but my investigation indicated that on face value e-cig's are far safer than an over the counter brand of tobacco cigarette.

This site http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/ has a lot of information on it. It's not loading up for me tonight, haven't been there in a while, but if they're still up and around, they've got a very active community and a lot of good information. Hope this helps.Shoot me a message if you'd like more specifics on where I buy, etc. :)

Wow, this is still confusing to me. :) I guess I'm going to have to wait until I can buy one of the disposables and try it myself.

I can only assume that the FDA and the pharmaceutical companies are against electronic cigarettes is because neither one of them are making

money off of them.

edited because I can't spell.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Do some searches on youtube, rg - there's quite a few videos demonstrating the cart' reload and how it's done.

FDA - this is a recent blog on the regulation issue: http://charlottesvil...googleid=284818

There's a lot of the same kind of thing online, going back a few years. The basic story's the same I found.

It's really a matter of the money and the political and social outlook of our regulatory systems - tobacco products are sold to adults, with very little real safety management. "Smoking" is recognized as dangerous to human health, so much so that it's warned that if you're exposed to a whiff of it you're vulnerable. Second hand smoke alone is dangerous, so goes all health warnings.

Yet - everyone from the "Surgeon General" to the FDA to you name 'em allows for tobacco products to be sold. It's taxed, it's warned against - and sold.

In Paris, you can smoke 3 at once and be lighting another on most streets. But they also sell cartons at the airport in black boxes that read "THIS WILL KILL YOU... the dichotomies abound.

Yeah, it's a blind social eye that largely wants to protect us from ourselves, but not curtail the profit margin on the danger itself.

The FDA wants to stop and investigate a product that

- people are using to stop smoking in many cases.

- people use instead of smoking.

- that actually uses the primary ingredient - nicotine - that people smoke to get.

Interesting, no? But not entirely surprising.

It's not the nicotine that kills you - - it's the rest of the stuff in the smoke. Get your nicotine any way you like as long as you don't use cigarettes [or snuff etc].

After who knows how many failed attempts....I was finally successful using a combination of Chantix and the lozenge. It's been a bit over 3 years and once in a while I still use a lozenge here and there.

Some research suggests that failed quitting attempts are actually part of the process of quitting...so don't give up....one must actually learn non-smoking behavior.

Agree, and I think that's the view of the e-cig market Krys.

Did you experience any side effects with Chantix? I've heard some do, some don't and if it's right for someone it's very effective.

There are risks with nicotine use - sure, and there are with caffeine, distilled alcohol and big greasy hamburgers.

I've had to be fairly careful with the liquid nicotine - I never smoked heavy strength cig's so I noticed the stronger liguid nic would have some side effects (sinuses, light headed feeling)

That's typical of smoking, period. So I just found the right mixture for my preferences.

When I really looked at this I realized how conflicted the entire field of thought is that seeks to "regulate" tobacco products.

RG - I was at NAMM this last year in Anaheim and was using my e-cigs. Now - this is the biggest yearly collection of musical merchandise, technology and people. I expected to see lots of e-cigers and vapers.

Not one sighting. And I had some people that saw me using them bug eyed - "WHAT'S THAT?!"

it's kind of fun from that perspective, but I'm still really careful when and where I use the e-cig. Technically it's not smoking but I try to avoid confrontations over it. Still it's really easy to take it out, have a puff or two and put it away. No smoke, no ashes, no nothin'.

I smoked for about 19 or 20 years. Quit 19 1/2 ago. Cigarettes were about 50 cents a pack when I started.

What worked for me was nicorette gum plus hypnosis. I was also very motivated to quit, which I think is essential.

I went to hypnosis twice, once individual, another time group.

They give you many tools beyond the initial hypnotic session to aid you in quitting -- including a tape of the session (or a generic one) which you should listen to everyday.

I'm not saying hypnosis works for everybody. In fact I know it doesn't.

A review of the research I saw a few years ago indicated that a pharmaceutical treatment such as the patch or nicorette gum, combined with a behavioral intervention (such as hypnosis, counseling, behavioral conditioning) works best.

I quit in 1983. It wasn't easy. What worked for me was to only quit for "today". Might smoke a carton and a half tomorrow, but today, I'm not going to smoke. Oh, you could break it down into even smaller time frames if needed.---not going to smoke until after breakfast, not going to smoke until after lunch, not going to smoke until after dinner, etc. Point is this. If you slip up, you only slipped up for today. Tomorrow is a fresh new start. Less condemnation that way.

The only ill effect I had from Chantix was nausea and that was bad until I learned how to minimize it. I cut the dose in half on the "loading" time and took it on a full stomach with the evening meal. Once I got on top of the nausea I was home free.

I was NEVER a non smoker, contrary to today's commercials. My mother smoked all during my pregnancy and both parents were heavy smokers. It's only my opinion, but I believe the degree of my addiction was about as high as possible. - - no Merrit's or Dorals for me, however. I was hard corps.

The time I was successful I realized that one cigarette here or there would not destroy me if I slipped up. I figured that every cigaretted I didn't smoke was good for me....and just continued. I don't remember how many weeks one is suppsed to use the Chantix, but I know I went a little longer, because I was afraid to leave my crutch.

For ME, once I wasn't distracted my the terrible cravings, I could work with my head and then I could do it.

If the E cigs work for you, go for it.

If I can add to this to help anyone in any way....say the word....or come get me in a PM..

• 2 weeks later...

I did successfully quit quit with Chantix for a few months but became afraid of all the effects and suicides of military after trying it that I quit.

I tried the e-cigs and have found them to be a satisfactory substitute for a strategy of cutting down. My brother tried Blu but didn't like it as much as my "smoketip" brand. He's going to order it and try to quit alongside me.

Have been "vaping" for a little over a month now. These things are fantastic. I began with a typical mall cig (an E-9) which was fine but for the short battery life (batteries needed recharging every 2-3 hours), and upgraded the following week to an XPower 900 (litecigusa.net), an "EGO" clone with the battery charge lasting 12-14 hours. After 25 years of smoking it's good to be rid of the old "analogues" and all the circulation problems they were causing me.

For those starting out I second Sock's advice on reviewing the wealth of info and reviews the ecig forum.

Enjoying some "American Spirit" eliquid flavor as I type.

Peese, excart. Right on Brother Dan. You're on the big horse sounds like. Are you using preloaded cartridges or refilling your own?

At first I was kind of aghast at the range of supplies and accessories, dunno why. I quickly purchased a USB battery which plugs directly into the PC USB port and provides an "endless" supply of power, at a computer. The battery retains a charge and will also work on it's own I found, although not as long.

The weirdest thing for me was getting used to handling them - there was no fire, no flame, no ashes and no smoke. And no ashtrays. You can just lay them down. Years of habit would find me catching myself doing that and grabbing it - finally got used to it. Putting it in your pocket is kind of whacky too, in a good way. I found a permanent marker cap that fit perfectly and I can slip it on the end, put it in a shirt pocket and it's about as convenient as carrying a pen.

Peese, excart. Right on Brother Dan. You're on the big horse sounds like. Are you using preloaded cartridges or refilling your own?

At first I was kind of aghast at the range of supplies and accessories, dunno why. I quickly purchased a USB battery which plugs directly into the PC USB port and provides an "endless" supply of power, at a computer. The battery retains a charge and will also work on it's own I found, although not as long.

The weirdest thing for me was getting used to handling them - there was no fire, no flame, no ashes and no smoke. And no ashtrays. You can just lay them down. Years of habit would find me catching myself doing that and grabbing it - finally got used to it. Putting it in your pocket is kind of whacky too, in a good way. I found a permanent marker cap that fit perfectly and I can slip it on the end, put it in a shirt pocket and it's about as convenient as carrying a pen.

Nice to see you again Excy!

Hey brother Socks,

I started out with prefilled cartimizers and quickly caught on to refilling them. The cartimizers (flavor-filter carts which combine the filler and atomizer, which I would recommend for anyone starting out) that came with the Xpower are extra large, and I usually top them off at least once a day.

I also picked up an atomizer and some carts to experiment with those and the "dripping" method - good for sampling different juices, and a little cheaper than cartimizers.

A usb passthrough is the next item on my agenda, to turn my computer into a hooka :)

I know what you mean about adjusting to using ecigs. With my first kit, I caught myself trying to "light" it up (lol).

But the transition from smokes to vapor hasn't really turned out so difficult for me so far, considering all "The Passion of the Quitters" horror stories I've heard over the years. I feel a lot better now than I have in years. It's the "End of the World" and I feel fine.

Nice to see you again Excy!

Hey brother Socks,

I started out with prefilled cartimizers and quickly caught on to refilling them. The cartimizers (flavor-filter carts which combine the filler and atomizer, which I would recommend for anyone starting out) that came with the Xpower are extra large, and I usually top them off at least once a day.

I also picked up an atomizer and some carts to experiment with those and the "dripping" method - good for sampling different juices, and a little cheaper than cartimizers.

A usb passthrough is the next item on my agenda, to turn my computer into a hooka :)

I know what you mean about adjusting to using ecigs. With my first kit, I caught myself trying to "light" it up (lol).

But the transition from smokes to vapor hasn't really turned out so difficult for me so far, considering all "The Passion of the Quitters" horror stories I've heard over the years. I feel a lot better now than I have in years. It's the "End of the World" and I feel fine.

Dripping's something I've tried, that sounds like a good approach. I may try that with some specific atomizers to experiment more.

You'll like the USB passthrough. It's a much easier and more reliable battery power when you're at a computer.

The transition and "quitting" - I realized reading through so many people's reactions and experience, comparing with my own, that the best approach for me was try it, use it, don't sweat the difficulties, work through them and give it some time. I found what I like, what I don't like, and over time there's more of the latter than the former. Bingo.

It really got me whacked for a bit when I read about the FDA government focus and for awhile I followed that progression. It seemed ridiculous since the FDA manages to stay out of the tobacco company's chemical business - the actual tobacco with the nicotine isn't cut off nor the process that's used to produce a variable tasting and good burning 'backy, but the process of using the nicotine with an e-cig.......should be all of a sudden? I was bamfoozled. Managing the quality of the nic' liquid - I get that. But the all out intent to shut it down for fear of it not being "safe" and unmanaged - really seemed insane. It doesn't seem to have happened though which is encouraging.

Overall, 'sall good. :)