GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way Corps unspoken function

OldSkool

I did manage to acquire a few skills.. learn how to GET A JOB.. how to get along with people who weren't exactly the same as me.. though that really wasn't a *problem* before..

Interesting to note that the way international would be very quick to put us all on the "more commitment" hook for anything that did actually improve our lives while we were involved with them. Communal living has it's advantages. But with them we need to stay committed to the ministry that taught us da werd... :rolleyes:

In other words, some of you will be good in business professions and will be huge supporters of wierwille and co. via your talents/money. Wierwille publically stated to the 7th/9th corps that he was waiting for the day when someone would donate one million dollars to twi.....which, obviously, spurred many to set out on that goal.

Which I was completely fine with, by the way. But trying to pursue that goal was like joining the enemy as far as TWI leadership was concerned. One funny thing about pursuing a profession is that the employer actually expects you to SHOW UP FOR WORK! So, if you're Corps, a twig leader, and chose to pursue a profession, you were screamed at if you didn't make every single meeting that was called. That included Twig Leader meetings and trainings, W.O.W. Vet conferences, Advanced Class Grad conferences, Limb Meeting planning sessions and of course, there was always something going on locally. You'd better be at all those functions or you were a cop-out, something less than human, shunned by other "more spiritual" Corps Grads. Guys that washed windows and stuff, or that were paid staff. Oh, and you'd better be at every Corps Week and Rock. You needed to get a job that was flexible to give you all that stuff. That pretty much relegated you to being a McDonald's employee at the age of 28. If you said anything, you were lamblasted for lack of believing.

I suppose so but they escape me at the moment.

C'mon! What about all that learning about "nature's little scrub brushes?"

Signed on the line to become my best for God......and then, 3-months into inrez, the corps coordinators were yelling at us that "IF WE WEREN'T COMMITTED TO STANDING WITH TWI FOR A LIFETIME, THEN WE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE CORPS COMMITMENT."

And we, as good little waybots, when we heard things like that didn't say: "You're full of crap...you changed the commitment", we looked at ourselves and tried to figure out how we missed it.
The 1978-1982 era was filled with contraditions....corps numbers were soaring and the trustees were sending double signals, NOT ALL CORPS would be filling leadership spots and should delve into support services for twi. In other words, some of you will be good in business professions and will be huge supporters of wierwille and co. via your talents/money.
Corps numbers were soaring so high that there just weren't enough "leadership" positions to go around. Hah! There aren't now with the shrinking numbers of the rank & file matching or outpacing the decline in Corps numbers, but now they just redefine branches to be two or more twigs and some regions have less people than 80's branches...or twigs.

And despite all of this, Way Corps were touted as the only people who could be true leaders. Way Corps employees of "believer" managed or owned businesses often could be found giving orders to their non-Corps bosses. During one of the recurring staff recruitment drives our BC was mentioning how various people in our area could contribute to staff: mechanics, contractors, computer programmers wetc. Then he looks at me, a lifetime manager in various fields who was paid to manage, administrate and lead people toward goals and objectves and drew a blank...because he couldn't imagine how I, a lowly non-Corps person, could possibly have any leadership skills.

well.. nobody ever played that card on me. i.e. you know how to get a job.. get along with obnoxious people.. because of.. DA WAY..

so you owe your life to subservience in da corpse..

maybe they just didn't want unclean squirrels fowling the water or something..

:biglaugh:

• 6 years later...
On 10/10/2010 at 5:05 PM, skyrider said:

Yeah......moving target extraordinaire.

Signed on the line to become my best for God......and then, 3-months into inrez, the corps coordinators were yelling at us that "IF WE WEREN'T COMMITTED TO STANDING WITH TWI FOR A LIFETIME, THEN WE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE CORPS COMMITMENT."

Manipulation-mongers..!!!

The 1978-1982 era was filled with contraditions....corps numbers were soaring and the trustees were sending double signals, NOT ALL CORPS would be filling leadership spots and should delve into support services for twi. In other words, some of you will be good in business professions and will be huge supporters of wierwille and co. via your talents/money. Wierwille publically stated to the 7th/9th corps that he was waiting for the day when someone would donate one million dollars to twi.....which, obviously, spurred many to set out on that goal.

In retrospect, the corps program was too vague, too generic......ON PURPOSE.

Oak, wow!!  Good point!!!  

On 10/10/2010 at 6:35 PM, Ham said:

Now that's probably why I never went in da corpse. *whatever* they had to offer was never precisely, or even hazily defined. .

wow was pretty much(?) defined.. grow ten years spiritually(?) or something..

I saw a few people get favorable results. Besides being Hitler (ahem) vic youth, I did manage to acquire a few skills.. learn how to GET A JOB.. how to get along with people who weren't exactly the same as me.. though that really wasn't a *problem* before..

I could live on macaroni, peanut butter and tripe again, if I had to..

:biglaugh:

if they ran even THAT right.. they would have had some *serious* exit counseling.. i.e. whadda I do now..

"go back to school bub.. get a degree.. do something damned serious with your life.."

but instead.. I watched as they culled the *best* of the group for.. *drum-roll*....

way corps *training*..

very, very interesting, no?

I was sent to observe.. perhaps da way should inquire about the final draft here..before it is respectfully submitted..

Ham, please!!  Anything except Tripe for me!!

On 9/29/2010 at 8:16 PM, waysider said:

I never got very far up the TWI corporate ladder so my experience in this category is limited. One thing I always hated as a class instructor, though, was having to chastise late arrivals. (And by Way standards, "late" was anything less than 15 minutes early.) I'm not a very confrontational person by nature so it was always difficult for me to confront people with honest to goodness, real, professional careers for only being 5 minutes early for class.

Way, I am really surprised to learn that you didn't get that far up the TWI ladder.  It seems to me, that you are an interesting, and intelligent person.  I thought you might have been some type of Branch, or Area Leader at one time.  

22 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Way, I am really surprised to learn that you didn't get that far up the TWI ladder.  It seems to me, that you are an interesting, and intelligent person.  I thought you might have been some type of Branch, or Area Leader at one time.  

A) That's why he didn't get far up the ladder.

B) That he remains so is proof he didn't get far up the ladder and get more head-shaving.

On 10/11/2010 at 3:25 PM, Oakspear said:

And we, as good little waybots, when we heard things like that didn't say: "You're full of crap...you changed the commitment", we looked at ourselves and tried to figure out how we missed it. Corps numbers were soaring so high that there just weren't enough "leadership" positions to go around. Hah! There aren't now with the shrinking numbers of the rank & file matching or outpacing the decline in Corps numbers, but now they just redefine branches to be two or more twigs and some regions have less people than 80's branches...or twigs.

And despite all of this, Way Corps were touted as the only people who could be true leaders. Way Corps employees of "believer" managed or owned businesses often could be found giving orders to their non-Corps bosses. During one of the recurring staff recruitment drives our BC was mentioning how various people in our area could contribute to staff: mechanics, contractors, computer programmers wetc. Then he looks at me, a lifetime manager in various fields who was paid to manage, administrate and lead people toward goals and objectves and drew a blank...because he couldn't imagine how I, a lowly non-Corps person, could possibly have any leadership skills.

Oak, you seem to have excellent writing skills, IMO!

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2010 at 10:11 AM, OldSkool said:

It occurred to me after leaving the way international, and clearing my head from being way corps, that one of the main functions of the way corps is law enforcement. I literally have lost count of the times, as way corps, I was told to enforce policy / law against the followers of the way international. I also lost count of the times that I altered the instructions given me so as not to be abusive to those I was sent after. I acted as a buffer so many times between the directors and the rank n' file! Anyways. As way corps we were also lectured that we needed to be the watchmen on the walls who keep the household clean. Now, that watchman job basically means spying out the believers to make sure they are all following the letter of the way international's twisted laws. And like any totalitarian regime when someone is breaking the laws then it reflects on the local leader because God would have told them there was a problem, etc....

Anyone else thought about this?

Oh yeah............so many times!

Thanks OldSkool for starting this thread years ago.  It speaks more volumes in the cult today.