GreaseSpot Cafe

New but old!

Trefor Heywood

For those who remember me - I'm back!

For those who don't, Hello!

It has been a few years since my last contribution when I lost my computer and when I got another I had a new ISP and email address. I have from time to time had a peek at the forums but couldn't sign back in and thanks to ex cathedra (hi babes!) I was able to get a contact with the powers that be about getting me reinstated. I sat on that for a few months but having made contact with one or two ex GB wayfarers I felt it was time to return!

There is no doubt a lot of catching up to do and there are demands on my online time as I am a Moderator of a site for Kilts, probably the largest on the Internet.

In a way it was kilts that brought me back. I was watching a series on you tube about the Scottish Clans and a face appeared that I knew! Even after 30 years! He had been a WOW Ambassador in Bristol UK when I lived there and had given me my first kilt, in exchange for which I gave him my Bullinger Companion Bible! I was able to track him down and make contact - he still has the Bullinger though I no longer have the kilt as it fell victim to moths some time ago! I do still have the sporran that he also gave me though. Never mind, I have since accumulated 25 more kilts! :)

Well I will keep this short for now. Just want to say it's good to be back!

Trefor

Welcome back. Even if we haven't met. Just one question . Why would anyone need 25 kilts?

Why do people need 25 pairs of socks or underwear or shirts or shoes? :P

So I can have some variety in my appearance and one can have different colour co-ordination etc,

Need and wants parallel? Hmmm :wub:

Thanks for your welcome. :knuddel:

Why do people need 25 pairs of socks or underwear or shirts or shoes? :P

So I can have some variety in my appearance and one can have different colour co-ordination etc,

Need and wants parallel? Hmmm :wub:

Thanks for your welcome. :knuddel:

Hello there. I haven't posted much but people have been kind and I've been reading a lot and have seen your name. This is a picturesque thread!

I suppose I could google it, but I'm wondering what a Welsh kilt is like (is it called a "pilt" there - is kilt even a Q-Gaelic word - so many things to look up).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there Trefor. Wondered where you'd got to.

We probably have a few acquaintances in common. It wasn't Br3ndy you gave your Companion to, was it? There's still a bunch of ex-Wayfers in and around Bristol, not Br3ndy though.

Hello there. I haven't posted much but people have been kind and I've been reading a lot and have seen your name. This is a picturesque thread!

I suppose I could google it, but I'm wondering what a Welsh kilt is like (is it called a "pilt" there - is kilt even a Q-Gaelic word - so many things to look up).

A Welsh kilt is very similar to a Scottish one but usually has a hemmed selvedge and a design such as the ref dragon or the St David cross, or both to the right of the front apron. What also makes it Welsh is the tartan design and also the spelling as there is no k in Welsh it is therefore spelt Cilt - c always has a k sound in Welsh.

Hey there Trefor. Wondered where you'd got to.

We probably have a few acquaintances in common. It wasn't Br3ndy you gave your Companion to, was it? There's still a bunch of ex-Wayfers in and around Bristol, not Br3ndy though.

Hey Twinky.

Depending upon where you are that could be the case but who is "Br3ndy"?

I gave it to a WOW from Scotland who was serving in Bristol - Paraig (Peter) MacNeil who is now the Official Bard of the Clan Gregor and a storyteller in both Gallic and English. He keeps on talking about some guy called Andrew Wommack of Charis Bible College - interestingly enough located near Pike's Peak!)whose ministry he now follows.

A Welsh kilt is very similar to a Scottish one but usually has a hemmed selvedge and a design such as the ref dragon or the St David cross, or both to the right of the front apron. What also makes it Welsh is the tartan design and also the spelling as there is no k in Welsh it is therefore spelt Cilt - c always has a k sound in Welsh.

Hey Twinky.

Depending upon where you are that could be the case but who is "Br3ndy"?

Thanks for replying! How nice to have a dragon. The "c" is always hard in Irish also - I knew a Ciaran who changed to a K-spelling when he went abroad because of that - but I'd figured something had been anglicised. Speaking of which, Twinky, I'm wondering if your B was the legend originally from NI, not that I need to know right now!

• 4 weeks later...

sporrans - trippy!

A long time ago in a far away place, well not that far but definitely a long time ago I learned to do the "Highland Fling". Part of the good Catholics diocese educational program to have world dancing as part of a weekly class. I loathed it at the time, the unwieldy couplings of boys and girls learning how to interact in a programmed social event every - danged - week - of every - danged - year of 8 - danged - years of elementary education. But the Highland Fling was kinda crazy as I recall.

Peace!