GreaseSpot Cafe

My new job

Twinky

Friends, just gotta share some good news.

I got laid off from my job in March 2008. Since then, I've survived on state aid, the bulk of which is just about to come to an end.

It's been stressful and there is barely enough to live on as it is.

And today, after hundreds of job applications and a significant number of interviews - I've finally got a job offer. I could start tomorrow but have chosen to start on 6 Dec.

Before then, I will spring-clean my house, and do some other odd jobs I haven't been able to find the energy for.

This is no stunner of a job. It doesn't pay tremendously well. It's way below the level of what I am capable of. It's something I can do well, very well, but not I'd prefer to do. In fact, it's a line of work I walked away from in my youth, before I did my degree and professional training.

But I will do my new job with joy and rejoicing. Heartily as unto the Lord. With thankfulness and enthusiasm. I believe God to put me in a place where I can make an impact for Him - so it's exciting to see what he might have in store. Beside the salary, of course!

Thank you both.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry or what I feel.

Like when you've done a long task at work that seems never to come to an end...and then it does.

Or when you've run a race or finished a long strenuous walk...and suddenly it's done.

And you wonder what all the huff was about.

At least I don't have to bang my head against the wall any more or soak my couch with tears of frustration.

:dance:

There might be a bit of this, this weekend: :smilie_kool_aid: I have a bottle of very nice red wine to celebrate the occasion. Been there a couple of years waiting for this.

Would you believe it!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been 2 years and 8 months since my last paid employment.

Now, in ONE WEEK - heh heh - I've been offered TWO jobs, both of which are interesting and worthwhile. One is the one mentioned above. The other is p/t but about the same money - slightly less, job has less security but much more what I like doing.

I also had 2 other interviews coming up, one of which would have given me a job. The local bus company is so desperate that it'll take anybody that's not an ax murderer as a (trainee) bus driver.

A dearth of offers, then suddenly two. Can't do both...but is this the windows of heaven opening up or something?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Dunno, Waysider. Wanto to try it?

Right now they'll probably take anyone who isn't scared of driving in the snow.

I was really impressed by the ability of the drivers last winter - driving conditions at times were terrible.

It would have been a considerable change of "career" direction, to be a bus driver...but it isn't going to happen, now.

I will have a nice warm office job with regular hours, no split shifts and no risk of violence.

I WILL HAVE A JOB !!!!!!!!! Gainfully employed again, at last.

Sure does, Purple Days.

Went for a recce today. Find out where the bike racks are (for parking my bike) and to have a look at the SU, where I'll be working. What can I say....it was delightfully warm in there. Luxury.

I fell off my bike (slipped on ice, black ice with a thin sheen of melt, invisible), smacked all my side and my head rather nastily (thank goodness for cycle helmets). I think I will be driving to work for the time being. Wouldn't be a good look, turning up on the first day with a head bandage, a crutch and a broken arm, LOL.

Soooo - big day tomorrow!!!!!!!! :eusa_clap:

Just about to go to work (!) - great start - it's freezing fog outside. The side roads are extremely slippery - main roads salted and clear. I think maybe I will test out the bus service.

We-hey. A working woman again! :jump:

End of first day. Tired; a lot to take in. Nice bunch of people. Friendly. Relaxed induction today; another induction to a different part of the organisation tomorrow. By the end of the week they will be assigning me my own tasks but till then, they’re allowing plenty of time to find out who’s who and what’s what. Students wander in and out of the office all day so everything has been planned to take account of that.

I will write some more when I’m more to grips with the job.

Thank you all so much for your good wishes.